The state of CMSF2

Question about the screenshot of Syrian infantry shooting at the recce humvee, will trenches be part of the map terrain as in SF or object like in the later titles?

e: This is just me hoping to see "myself" in game, any screenshots or info on the Canadians?

A tiny, tiny thing I would mention is that most of us deployed with green tac vests, sometimes even green frag vests over the arid uniform. Seeing the uniform arid equipment made me wish we were that well funded! AR2006-P008-0019.jpg

Edited by DougPhresh

1 hour ago, DougPhresh said:

A tiny, tiny thing I would mention is that most of us deployed with green tac vests, sometimes even green frag vests over the arid uniform. Seeing the uniform arid equipment made me wish we were that well funded!

Cheap mans Multicam!

Before we transitioned to digital woodland cammies in Spain we had green flak vests with our desert uniforms. Turns out makes for a preety good mix. atleast we thought so.

Couple things to note: M110, woohoo! And no crotch guards on the US infantry! Saves us from needing a mod to remove them. Chaffing averted.

I am hoping that because we aren't seeing any Uncon pics they gave them a REALLY sweet makeover and are saving them as a surprise. Speaking of, did they get on map mortars as well?

Mord.

Do I understand that correctly that due to the upgraded engine and the involved campaign modifications the stock campaigns play significant differently? I am normally not that interested in replaying allready seen content but if this is the case I may change my mind about this.

Nevertheless looking forward for the release!

8 hours ago, Kozlice said:

The flag is much older though, so one can dream (about a rebel formation on the blue side) :rolleyes:

I've already designed several scenarios with a rather unconventional Blue force for CM:SF.....Whether it will be possible to do quite the same in the new engine remains to be seen (the new 'ammo dump' vehicle condition creates a number of issues for my previous technique).

But you can safely bet I'll give it a bloody good go.  ;)

7 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Here's an explanation of that FSA flag on the BMP door from the primary texture artist: The primary texture artist is an idiot.

Nah, not an idiot.  Even the smartest people on the face of the planet sometimes forget to look both ways before crossing the street :D

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Quick question, my CMSF installs were about 2 & 3 computers ago and I was never able to deactivate either of them. IIRC, we had 2 installs for our license then it got locked. Will  I need to get my licenses unlocked before I try to install CMSF2?

No, you won't need to unlicense your old CMSF1.  In fact, the way things work you can keep both licensed and used both without any problems.  Though once you see CMSF2 you'll probably not go back to CMSF1 :D

5 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

Question about the screenshot of Syrian infantry shooting at the recce humvee, will trenches be part of the map terrain as in SF or object like in the later titles?

The original CMSF1 "Trench" is now "Drainage Ditch".  Testers have gone through the original scenarios and substituted standard (above ground) Trenches and Foxholes as seemed appropriate.  User made scenarios won't change automatically but can, like the stock ones, be modified.

e: This is just me hoping to see "myself" in game, any screenshots or info on the Canadians?

Info on Canadians?  This morning I heard that pot is going to become legal.  Does that count? :)  Seriously, Canadians got a good working over like the rest of the content.

A tiny, tiny thing I would mention is that most of us deployed with green tac vests, sometimes even green frag vests over the arid uniform. Seeing the uniform arid equipment made me wish we were that well funded!

By the time 2008 rolled around things got a lot better.  Prior to that Canada, like almost every other country, had not invested much in desert kit.  Some nations didn't have desert kit at all and wore quickly acquired US 3 color desert uniforms and slapped their own national badging on them.  At least you had CADPAT AR at the ready!

4 hours ago, Mord said:

I am hoping that because we aren't seeing any Uncon pics they gave them a REALLY sweet makeover and are saving them as a surprise. Speaking of, did they get on map mortars as well?

All new models and textures for the Uncons.  However, as of this specific point in time they are accidentally wearing black Kevlar helmets so I can't send you a screenshot.  I made a boo-boo with the last build that will be corrected for the next one :D

Yes, Uncons have access to on-map mortars.

44 minutes ago, MANoWAR.U51 said:

Do I understand that correctly that due to the upgraded engine and the involved campaign modifications the stock campaigns play significant differently?

Yes.  This is one of the major reasons it's taking so long to get things finished.  There's more than 100+ scenarios that need to be gone through from 2 years worth of releases.

Steve

37 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

No, you won't need to unlicense your old CMSF1.  In fact, the way things work you can keep both licensed and used both without any problems.  Though once you see CMSF2 you'll probably not go back to CMSF1 :D

CM:SF still has some unique capabilities you know (see my post above), so this is great news indeed! 

39 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

The original CMSF1 "Trench" is now "Drainage Ditch".  Testers have gone through the original scenarios and substituted standard (above ground) Trenches and Foxholes as seemed appropriate.  User made scenarios won't change automatically but can, like the stock ones, be modified.

Great choice.....Best of both worlds!  Hoped you might do this.

Basically.....Thanks.  ;)

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

CM:SF still has some unique capabilities you know (see my post above), so this is great news indeed! 

I read your previous comment and I am not 100% sure what you did in the old SF that you fear will not work in SF2. Did you add red vehicles to the blue side and dismount the crews? After which you loaded standard blue forces into said vehicles and they were able to drive them? And you fear those dismounted red vehicles will turn into ammo dumps? Or is it something else.

6 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

Hey, if the SAA gets super T-72s with Italian Thermals, Relikt and highest grade APFSDS prior to 2014 -- I do not see why uniform uniforms are out of the question!

OH, btw. SAA kit looks much improved, graphically.

Edited by DerKommissar

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

All new models and textures for the Uncons.  However, as of this specific point in time they are accidentally wearing black Kevlar helmets so I can't send you a screenshot.  I made a boo-boo with the last build that will be corrected for the next one :D

Yes, Uncons have access to on-map mortars.

Steve

Awesome. Thanks, man.

The Brits and US look really good.

It is gonna be so sweet gettin' back to the desert with all these new updates and features!

Mord.

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

By the time 2008 rolled around things got a lot better.  Prior to that Canada, like almost every other country, had not invested much in desert kit.  Some nations didn't have desert kit at a

Steve

Steve,

Cadpat AR is great, but at least when I was in-country on 1-08 and 3-10 there were combats and helmet covers but the tac vests were mostly TW and so were maybe 30% of the frag vests.

If the game is set in 2012 or later though, by then arid tac vests were readily available.

Steve, (or anyone else): how did BF.C store license before 2008? I can find licenses in my BF.C account from June 2008 and onwards. All CMSF module license keys are there, but I don't see the CMSF license or order itself.
Now I really can't remember how I bought/ordered CMSF way back then, although I presumed through BF.C or can it be that the license is stored on the CDROM itself? (hope not since I don't have a functioning drive in my pc atm). I do have the original casing, manual and cd-rom (map is lying around somewhere too), but there is no license in there as far as I can see.

24 minutes ago, DougPhresh said:

Cadpat AR is great, but at least when I was in-country on 1-08 and 3-10 there were combats and helmet covers but the tac vests were mostly TW and so were maybe 30% of the frag vests.

That surprises me a little as pics from the day made it seem more uniform.  But then again, most pictures are from within the wire and so basic uniforms were the norm.

The good news is this is all moddable.  Adding extra textures causes random assignment and that's exactly what you're looking for.  Whether or not we'll do that, we'll see!

Steve

1 minute ago, Lethaface said:

Steve, (or anyone else): how did BF.C store license before 2008? I can find licenses in my BF.C account from June 2008 and onwards. All CMSF module license keys are there, but I don't see the CMSF license or order itself.
Now I really can't remember how I bought/ordered CMSF way back then, although I presumed through BF.C or can it be that the license is stored on the CDROM itself? (hope not since I don't have a functioning drive in my pc atm). I do have the original casing, manual and cd-rom (map is lying around somewhere too), but there is no license in there as far as I can see.

Good question.  License keys way back when were stuck onto the DVD cases.  We can, of course, verify the purchase was made.  So no worries, we'll come up with something that ensures early adopters aren't left twisting in the wind.

Steve

8 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Good question.  License keys way back when were stuck onto the DVD cases.  We can, of course, verify the purchase was made.  So no worries, we'll come up with something that ensures early adopters aren't left twisting in the wind.

Steve

Ok, thanks for the lightning quick answer :). The sticker must have somehow come off the case after 10 years, I guess.
It's funny, currently in the EU there is a new privacy law (GDPR) in effect, lots of people/companies interpreting it's meaning a bit too fundamentally in my opinion and advocating to never store any customer data any second longer than is absolutely strictly necessary. This here, given the service provided, is a very valid reason to store customer records for a long time!