CM Super Map Tournament ideas

My true desire in a rts/sim is the ability to switch between 1st person all the way to a strategic view in a game. Unfortunately we cannot go smaller.. so we must compensate and go larger!

A tournament was mentioned by a familiar name that I can't recall, but he couldn't get enough players to start it. So I figured I could throw in what I'd like to see for a tournament.

Interlaced maps - Taking similarly sized maps and fitting them together on a board.

image.thumb.png.ca9c39397813245ea7c892377cc8138e.png-

This is really rough just so I can show it off quickly. I'm gonna work on one soon.

We design a map ourselves, post them here, and if we create really good ones we can start a tournament on it.

Both sides would start with roughly a regiment with assets so it's likely the tournament could end up with four people per team, each in control of a battalion. It could be played with A moving first, their battalion able to jump one or two spaces a turn. B team would follow after and move either engaging or defending.

There could be rules which the teams can decide on before the start of the campaign:

-If you occupy a territory for a certain amount of time, you get the ability to dig in and have the ability to acquire different defenses.

-Retreating is allowed, every map must have exit zones so troops can rout and reestablish themselves.

-Reconnaissance missions will have purpose.

-Troops/Regimental assets can be split up as the team decides.

Team layout

I imagine a realistic and fun way to do things is to have a person assigned to regimental commander. He can review what ever footage taken from the battles and make decisions what to do with assets, direct forces to break through enemy lines, and such. Otherwise, players could be assigned to battalions.

I understand this will be difficult to achieve, but a mega-campaign like this would be an excellent way to show off the new SF2, or have a blast with dedicated friends. The maps can be as large or as small as the teams desire. If anyone else is down for this... let me know! Let's get something crazy in here. I expect every battle to be documented with screenshots so AARs can be posted by somebody. I myself have plenty of storage on my machine and plenty of time to document a campaign whether it be in saved turns or screenshots.

image.thumb.png.9dd3150990f57bdafabf6d653623921d.png

Again, super rough but I figured this would give an idea of what I'm interested in. I don't know what those markings mean but they look pretty cool so I'm using them in place of a regiment.

Also this map is probably 20% of a map I'd consider large.

image.thumb.png.8b81825bbf99f6db32f14a43f27fada6.png

There we go. The symbols make sense now but the dots I'm unsure of. The two dots mean battalion. So that counts one armored and three mech-inf for Blufor. Opfor has an inf, an armored, and three mech-inf battalions.

Oh boy. Do I have to ask for permission for more room for screenshots or should I be posting these elsewhere? I've been limited to .2 of a mb! Posting on here is significantly more convenient than using a third party. :P

https://imgur.com/a/vOU0Hzj

This is what I would expect for something mid confrontation. Both players have pulled back their battered companies in exchange for fresher ones to defend and mount assaults with. I'm open to comments but I have a definitive idea of how I would want a campaign like this to be played out.

Edited by Artkin

https://imgur.com/a/md8jMMw

This is my contribution for CMSF. It includes a city at the north and south, an airport in a valley, a couple msr, and a factory. The black must be navigated around. This places importance of owning and protecting the msrs. The S at the beginning of some map names stand for scenario and is where the maps were pulled from.

Edited by Artkin