WIN10 and CMAK/CMBB

Also posted this over at the Blitz but probably someone here can help:

I re-installed both games on a new computer and have problems to run these games. 

CM:AK loads but still shows V1.01 after installing the V1.03 patch. CM:BB does not start at all. Both games are German CDV versions, not the Battlefront versions.

I tried to install the CM:BB demo version and it runs fine.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Krautman - I have CMBB 1.04 running under Windows 10 (v 1803) with a GeForce GTX 770 (with the 388.13 driver - I haven't tried anything newer). No special driver was needed (aka the 'Ddraw' DLL file mentioned in another thread). In the 'Properties' (right-click on launching icon) and going to the 'Compatibility' tab I only have 'Run this program as an administrator' checked.

The menus seem to come up fine with this driver and display. It IS necessary to Alt-Tab out of the game once you reach the 3D battlefield and then remaximize the game. This will allow the game to run at a normal speed (otherwise it is very slow).

I'm not sure what copy-protection CDV 1.03 may be using (if any at all - I believe the 'Anthology' edition had no copy-protection). With the 1.04 patch you will want to make sure that it overwrites the CDV executable (this may require manual placement of the executable file and some other files that come with the 1.04 patch) and that it is that particular file you are launching (I'm not sure if the CDV version uses the same filename or not). You will need to activate the license key you got with 1.04 (if you haven't done that already on this particular computer). Typically if you haven't activated the license key you should see the license dialog box.

Once activated you may need to go through the resolution selection process if this hasn't been run before on this Windows 10 installation. This will be automatic if no 'prefs' file is found. The resolution selection process usually is a series of boxes with the listed resolution and vertical refresh rate listed inside. If you're running 1920 x 1080 or less, then the first (and typically the highest) resolution offered is 1600 x 1200. However it may run this resolution at a really high refresh rate (possibly 160 or 120 Hz). If you can't read this on your display (it either 'blacks out' or scrambles the image), just sit tight and within about 5 seconds the next lower vertical refresh rate at that same resolution should be offered. Once you reach 60Hz, then the next offering will be the next lower resolution, but again at the highest vertical refresh rate available. This continues on until you reach 800 x 600 at 60Hz. After that you get a DirectX error and the game closes down (if unfortunately can't 'loop' around to start over again). If that happens, simply run the game again and hopefully an usable resolution is offered.

Thank you very much for this detailed answer.

I have the CVD 1.03 version of CMBB installed on my Windows 10 PC. I have installed in another than the default folder, I am running in administrator mode and I have tried all of the available compatibility options. The game simply does not start; nothing happens at all when I run the .exe.

I would purchase the battlefront store version to run this game again, but I do not know if it would work on my PC. I wish they would make CMBB work again, this was my favourite all-time game, unmatched in detail, in scope, in editor use, in moddability and replayability.

What video card and driver are you using on your Windows 10 computer ? Generally I would expect CMBB/CMAK to work under Windows 10, even with just the 1.03 version. However I have seen issues with Radeon video cards (pre-1.04) and I haven't really kept up what other drivers might currently experience with Windows 10.

You CAN upgrade to the 1.04 patch (originally for 'Vista compatibility' at the time) with your CDV 1.03 game. The patch will convert you to using eLicense (which can run into some issues with DEP and some security/anti-virus programs). To see if 1.04 will work for you, try the current 1.04 CMBB demo. If this works, then purchasing the patch should get you going again. Unfortunately the store won't open until today or in the next several days (don't know exactly when).