Post Cool RCs Here!

On 28.5.2018 at 5:44 PM, DerKommissar said:

The title is self-explanatory. I recently got a HengLong Tiger for my brother's 10th birthday. I've been amazed what people do with these things!

Would also like to see your RCs, if you own any!

Ahhhhh, Heng Long. I had my Heng Long period a few years ago. Slightly upgraded some tanks, mainly the painting. And even bought a handmade transport box, which is designed like a tank repair shop. Not that I ever used it, but it’s nice.😎

Otherwise: Torro is the better alternative. Contrary to Heng Long, they sell nicely painted models for not much more money. But since your brother is only ten, you still have some years to improve!😃

18 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

SU-76i:  http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet-su-76i.php

A couple of hundred were built on captured Pz.III chassis, some were then recaptured and used by the Germans:

su-76i-spg-winter.jpg

FWIW

Yep, I remember these things showing up in Steel Panthers. However, the one in Erwin's video has the 122 instead of the 76 (around 3:38 in the vid).

verkhnyaya-pyshma-russia-march-01-2018-s

Google tells me it's an SG-122. It also tells me THIS is an SG-122:

16 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Ahhhhh, Heng Long. I had my Heng Long period a few years ago. Slightly upgraded some tanks, mainly the painting. And even bought a handmade transport box, which is designed like a tank repair shop. Not that I ever used it, but it’s nice.😎

Otherwise: Torro is the better alternative. Contrary to Heng Long, they sell nicely painted models for not much more money. But since your brother is only ten, you still have some years to improve!😃

I got his Heng Long on amazon, free shipping and arrived in 2 business days. I looked for Torros... but I couldn't find any that: a. shipped here, b. shipped here for a reasonable price, c. shipped here in a reasonable time.

Also looked at Tamiya, an old favourite, but their RC kits cost a fortune.

Did anyone notice the tanks where the crew's heads move around?  Astonishing what can be done.

When I watch these amazing models I always wonder why they don't have slower gearing and/or more weight added so they move more realistically and don't dash and bounce around like the toys that they are.

Aside from its movement issues per my comments above this one was good with "working" MG's and main gun.

This is one of the best I found re more realistic movement:

Edited by Erwin

2 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Also looked at Tamika, an old favourite, but their RC kits cost a fortune.

Yes, Tamiya is certainly a „Class of it‘s own“. Nothing to be compared with Heng Long or Torro.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

When I watch these amazing models I always wonder why they don't have slower gearing and/or more weight added so they move more realistically and don't dash and bounce around like the toys that they are.

Just a question of material and equipment. I once had a Torro Tiger, upgraded with many tin metal parts, like tools, hatch covers, wheels, etc. The thing just was too heavy for the plastic chains. Ok, put metal chains on. Now the electric motor has too little power. Ok, add more batteries...

There‘s a reason, why I say that any model can portray only some aspects of reality (the same is true for our beloved CM). For ultimate reality, you need reality...

If you are looking for a more solid feeling, go for the 1/6 full metal tanks. But they cost a fortune, say starting from GBP 4000 and without ceiling.

Have found that as computer sims get more sophisticated there is less and less reason to have models of any kind.  I loved train sets as much a miniatures.  But, despite the wonderful tactile fun of having the thing in your hands, the RR computer sims one can now buy are actually more immersive and of course much, much easier to play with - requiring no model-making.  Probably the hobbyists enjoy the building and painting experience more than the playing wargames or running trains aspect.  Nothing wrong with that of course.  I can see that it is very relaxing.

7 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Yep, I remember these things showing up in Steel Panthers. However, the one in Erwin's video has the 122 instead of the 76 (around 3:38 in the vid).

Well spotted, I missed the mantlet & gun arrangement completely.  :unsure:

The Armortek RC range is pretty special:  https://www.armortek.co.uk/  But starting at about three grand (UK£), they'd need to be!  :o

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

17 hours ago, Erwin said:

Have found that as computer sims get more sophisticated there is less and less reason to have models of any kind.  I loved train sets as much a miniatures.  But, despite the wonderful tactile fun of having the thing in your hands, the RR computer sims one can now buy are actually more immersive and of course much, much easier to play with - requiring no model-making.  Probably the hobbyists enjoy the building and painting experience more than the playing wargames or running trains aspect.  Nothing wrong with that of course.  I can see that it is very relaxing.

I haven't built or painted a miniature since high school, for precisely that reason. Model making, and by extension, table top, take a considerable amount of time and effort. Computer sims are simply more convenient. Even though, there is something missing from the experience: spending days painting and building armies and having your friends instantly butcher them in the first turn.

"This rule, on this page, tells me that I can shoot your heavy tank with my revolver and take it out." 

"OK, Fine. I got two more heavy tanks."

"I get three shots per turn with this revolver, it's a super revolver!"

21 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yes, Tamiya is certainly a „Class of it‘s own“. Nothing to be compared with Heng Long or Torro.

Just a question of material and equipment. I once had a Torro Tiger, upgraded with many tin metal parts, like tools, hatch covers, wheels, etc. The thing just was too heavy for the plastic chains. Ok, put metal chains on. Now the electric motor has too little power. Ok, add more batteries...

There‘s a reason, why I say that any model can portray only some aspects of reality (the same is true for our beloved CM). For ultimate reality, you need reality...

If you are looking for a more solid feeling, go for the 1/6 full metal tanks. But they cost a fortune, say starting from GBP 4000 and without ceiling.

I just bought this one for my kid brother. Would that I could spend 4k pounds sterling on an RC tank. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about fully steel tanks. They're heavy. You'd need car batteries to run those bloody things for more than a nanosecond.

I can build my own for probably less than 10 times that amount. I've made a crappy robot (about the size of a 1/16th tank) from thin, light, cheap aluminum. That thing was bloody durable and could move around on cheap dollar store motors. It had wheels -- tracks are more difficult to pull off. 

I kinda want a Torro now, their tanks look good:

Does anyone have low-end IS/JS-2s?

Also, completely off topic, why do some people call it the IS-2 and others the JS-2?

57 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

I just bought this one for my kid brother. Would that I could spend 4k pounds sterling on an RC tank. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about fully steel tanks. They're heavy. You'd need car batteries to run those bloody things for more than a nanosecond.

I kinda want a Torro now, their tanks look good:

Also, completely off topic, why do some people call it the IS-2 and others the JS-2?

Refer to @Sgt.Squarehead link. Armortek is what I was talking about. Their tank chassis are from aluminium, but still heavy stuff. The models (Hm, can we call them models still?) are superbe. Re the price: Well, the guys try to make a living of it...

Re Torro: Hehehe, I got you hooked. But their models are indeed much better than HL and not much more expensive.

Re IS vs JS: It’s „JS“ in the German alphabet for “Josef Stalin”. I understand it is „IS“in Russian alphabet.

21 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Refer to @Sgt.Squarehead link. Armortek is what I was talking about. Their tank chassis are from aluminium, but still heavy stuff. The models (Hm, can we call them models still?) are superbe. Re the price: Well, the guys try to make a living of it...

Re Torro: Hehehe, I got you hooked. But their models are indeed much better than HL and not much more expensive.

Re IS vs JS: It’s „JS“ in the German alphabet for “Josef Stalin”. I understand it is „IS“in Russian alphabet.

100kg? Those bloody things weigh more than me! How do they ship this? Has anyone here bought one?

Yeah, after a closer look the Torro is quite superior to the HL. I tried to get a Torro instead, I couldn't find shipping options that would reliably get it prior to my bro's birthday.

26 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Looking at pics there seems to be a difference in the shape of the front hull armor.

In regards to the SG-122?

On 2.6.2018 at 3:53 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Josef could also be spelled Iosef in pseudo Russian.

But there was a difference in the front hull shape of the early IS-2 (above) & late IS-2 (below):

IS-2_scheme_of_armour.jpg

According to Wikipedia, the Russian spelling is „Iosif Stalin“, indeed.