unsing nearby radios

Most times my units are able to use radios of nearby vehicles let´s say a dismounted radio jeep however sometimes they won´t use any radio of nearby active or dismounted vehicles except when I place them directly in the vehicle.

What I am overlooking?

As far as I know its just mortar teams that can use the vehicles radio while dismounted, other type units needing to be in the vehicle?

E2A: Unfortunately.

At work so unable to check manual for quotes that might support/disprove that.

Edited by Oliver_88

11 hours ago, General Liederkranz said:

What are you trying to use it for? There's a difference: as I understand it, for ordinary C2 purposes an infantry unit needs to be on or in the vehicle. But for indirect fire links, it's enough for the mortar unit to be close to the vehicle.

For platoon leaders in order to distribe contacts, for organic mortars having access to the net in order to get called in by FO´s or other units, and of course to improve overall unit cohesion with its HQ having a link to superiors. Like I stated it seems to work but some HQ and mortar units seem reluctant to utilize radios of vehicles (occupied or not) except when they are mounted on it. Perhaps this has something to do with the affiliation of the vehicle or the unit. Hard to figure it out for me because it is really in-depth of the game mechanics.

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, MANoWAR.U51 said:

Most times my units are able to use radios of nearby vehicles let´s say a dismounted radio jeep however sometimes they won´t use any radio of nearby active or dismounted vehicles except when I place them directly in the vehicle.

What I am overlooking?

If you look in the equipment of the unit itself, do they have a radio? Just because they're dismounted doesn't mean they don't also have a hand-held radio set.

AFAIK, the only time you can actually use a vehicle mounted radio is while you are embarked in the vehicle.

28 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

If you look in the equipment of the unit itself, do they have a radio? Just because they're dismounted doesn't mean they don't also have a hand-held radio set.

AFAIK, the only time you can actually use a vehicle mounted radio is while you are embarked in the vehicle.

Hmmm, I've had US mortar teams in CMBN remain in contact for on-call fires by parking a radio equipped jeep with them.  I've also had CMFI German mortar sections sustain contact by parking a radio equipped half-track with them to relay calls-for-fire.  Granted, my experience shows vehicle mounted radios working for disembarked indirect fire units, not other infantry units and such.

I think this is by design: if a vehicle is in operation it serves as a working c2 node. When the vehicle is dismounted, it is not in operation and therefore not a functioning c2 node. Troops in vehicles can use the vehicle c2 equipment but if they dismount they have to do with what they carry. From the manual: "Exception: On-map support assets including mortars and howitzers can fire indirect even if they are out of command & control and lack a radio, provided that either the spotter is within 50m or the support asset is next to a vehicle equipped with a radio".

14 hours ago, Lethaface said:

I think this is by design: if a vehicle is in operation it serves as a working c2 node. When the vehicle is dismounted, it is not in operation and therefore not a functioning c2 node. Troops in vehicles can use the vehicle c2 equipment but if they dismount they have to do with what they carry. From the manual: "Exception: On-map support assets including mortars and howitzers can fire indirect even if they are out of command & control and lack a radio, provided that either the spotter is within 50m or the support asset is next to a vehicle equipped with a radio".

This.  Also tank riders can use a tank's radio for C2.  Below is a thread with screenshots and discussions of C2 stuff.  

3 hours ago, MANoWAR.U51 said:

But did any of you experience mortar crews that hesitate to use the nearby radios?

I haven't played in a while but no I can't remember any issues with those. They have to be very close IIRC.

17 hours ago, Erwin said:

Hmm... that exception is not intuitive.

Indeed isn't it! ;-) I meant to also imply that that's the only case where a dismounted vehicle's radio 'can be used' at least in my experience, but thought to look it up in the manual and forgot afterwards :)

It's something I hope that I remember to check when playing a scenario.  If there is nobody to man the radio in a vehicle, then the radio shouldn't be usable.  Not sure if that is an abstraction feature (like an FO can always order offmap artillery even without a radio) or a bug.

23 hours ago, MANoWAR.U51 said:

But did any of you experience mortar crews that hesitate to use the nearby radios?

I do not remember experiencing mortar crews hesitating to use nearby vehicle radios, might have though. However I know that I've seen other units hesitating to use their own radios. So maybe that could be the same "radio malfunctioning or problems getting radio contact" that you see experience with them. It's mentioned in MOS:96B2P's thread.

At 03:52:20 Bravo Company makes radio contact with 1st Battalion. Prior to this Bravo Company was having problems reaching Bn. on the radio. If you look at Bravo Companies C2 links two & three screenshots above you will see Bravo Company had no C2 with Battalion for a short time.  Both HQs were stationary so in theory should have been able to communicate.  I’m not sure if this is intended behavior but it does happen occasionally.  Intended or not I think it adds realism.