Need tech advise re GPU/CPU and a new monitor

Right now I play CM on a 1920*1200 monitor with what was a top line gaming laptop two years ago. Most scenarios play well apart from the huge ones with tons of units (Hot Time in Hatten for example). Thinking about getting an Asus ROG Swift PG279Q (2560*1440) with 144 Hz and G-sync. It is often stated that CM is CPU heavy rather than GPU. So what does each component do to make the games run well? Apart from loading time and combat calculations, what does the CPU do once the turn replay is underway? Isn't that all GPU? I'm afraid that the larger monitor will slow down frame rate too much to be acceptable with the current laptop (GTX 970M card). I'm also a bit unsure about the refresh rate in relation to FPS. Granted that CM will never push frame rate that high, but supposedly a high refresh rate will always make for a more pleasant view with less strain on the eyes. I also intend for the monitor to last many years and the next PC I get will be a high end stationary one. A small UI on the new monitor doesn't bother me.

• 3 weeks later...

I run 120hz Gysnc @1920 and have no problems. Can´t tell for sure how your components will react to the higher res monitor but a 970m should be sufficient and like you pointed correctly out this game isn´t that GPU dependant which doesn´t mean GPU´s are completely unimportant.

Combat Mission FPS really depent on scenario size and settings. Even on very powerful machines I see frames dropping down on huge scenarios especially when maxing out the detail settings which can tear your frames apart, I run them one or two settings lower and still didn´t figure out what they exactly do :lol:. As far as I know they mostly affect the world object drawing distance and drawing detail. Don´t see any difference on the models from close between the settings. Also ingame AA gives me a somewhat bad feeling. Also checking high priority process here. I run Reshade for AA, adaptive Sharpen and some personal preference effects.

If you have Access to online retailers like Amazon you could order it there and if all things go south return it.

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

Thanks for the advice, but a 40 inch would be way too big where I have my PC. Wouldn't want to sit close to one that big either. I prefer high res but not on too large screen. That way I find things look the best. I didn't know though that the price difference was that large.

Hey rocketman

I recently upgraded to a 2560x1440 Viewsonic xg2703-gs  27" monitor running at 165 Hz.  Best thing I ever did! It's an IPS monitor type so the image quality is much nicer than the old TN's.  A real step up from my 24" 1920x1080.  

I don't use the gsync feature for CM as it doesn't work with games on lower frame rates but haven't noticed any great slowdowns in frame rates since upgrading.  Running a 1080 GPU but if you're running a 970 I would think you'd be fine.  

cheers

That's encouraging :)

As I mentioned I'm unsure about what GPU and CPU contribute with when scaling up. I have an i7-6700HQ @2,6 Ghz. @PIATpunk what do you run?

My impression of G-sync is that the display will never show a frame that hasn't been fully rendered, thus making screen tearing "impossible". Wouldn't that apply to any frame rate? I see screen tear on occasion in CM.

5 minutes ago, rocketman said:

My impression of G-sync is that the display will never show a frame that hasn't been fully rendered, thus making screen tearing "impossible". Wouldn't that apply to any frame rate? I see screen tear on occasion in CM.

I have a G-sync monitor and I love it generally BUT I sadly have to disable that feature for Combat Mission. The reason is that it causes strange flickering ocasionally, and only in that game.

I've been trying to figure out why, and it seems G-sync has problems with games that have wildly fluctuating framerates. Once in a while, the FPS drops to near zero for a short moment, and that trips up G-sync somehow.

Instead, I play with adaptive refresh (fast mode). Available in the GPU settings if you have an Nvidia Geforce card.

Edited by Bulletpoint

On 6/17/2018 at 9:38 AM, Vinnart said:

Don't buy a monitor, buy a HD TV instead to use as your PC monitor. You can get a bigger screen for less money with same quality. I play on a Vizio 40" and the game looks great! They go for less than $200 these days.

This is so untrue in physically hurt me. Especially a budget brand like Vizio. Woof.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I have a G-sync monitor and I love it generally BUT I sadly have to disable that feature for Combat Mission. The reason is that it causes strange flickering ocasionally, and only in that game.

I've been trying to figure out why, and it seems G-sync has problems with games that have wildly fluctuating framerates. Once in a while, the FPS drops to near zero for a short moment, and that trips up G-sync somehow.

Instead, I play with adaptive refresh (fast mode). Available in the GPU settings if you have an Nvidia Geforce card.

You're probably right about the fluctuating framerates. If it only temporarily drops to 0 FPS, then perhaps G-sync identifies that as no frame rendered and it causes the screen to for a microsecond go black i.e. flicker. Does it flicker if relatively little action on screen and no panning with the camera?

I think I use adaptive refresh, but have to check that.

Edited by rocketman

@rocketman I have an i7-8700K. 

I tried using gsync but it simply doesn't work with Combat Mission, as per comments above it tends to strobe and just be annoying with no difference to perceived smoothness in the game display.  Judicious settings in Nvidia inspector will improve stability of frame rate, particularly use of the frame rate limiter (eg set it to 40 or less) and setting your display to the highest fixed rate refresh that it supports.

cheers

11 hours ago, rocketman said:

If it only temporarily drops to 0 FPS, then perhaps G-sync identifies that as no frame rendered and it causes the screen to for a microsecond go black i.e. flicker. Does it flicker if relatively little action on screen and no panning with the camera?

Yep, it seems semi-random.. sometimes it will play fine for five minutes, other times it will flicker like mad, and most of the time it will be a barely perceivable flicker that just drives me nuts. So, the solution was to use fixed refresh instead.

G-sync is brilliant in all other games I played though. There's a world of difference, not only with screen tear, but just overall smooth map scrolling in for example Civilization. Also in the Witcher 3, I immediately notice if it's off, because of the screen tear from the many houses/castle towers/trees.

I play CM the vast majority of my gaming time and G-sync isn't the deal breaker. But it is a nice feature for other games like Project Cars and the occasional FPS. Interesting that Civ map scrolling is aided. I have been on the fence for that game. Maybe I'll pick it up in the Steam summer sale that is coming up.

FWIW, I have a Freesync setup which is working very, very nicely for CM on a 2560x1440 screen. 

(Freesync monitors are significantly less expensive than Gsync. Similar tech, but AMD does not charge a license fee to use it. )

(Edited to add: if you're unaware of these technologies, a Freesync monitor needs an AMD video card. Gsync needs an Nvidia card. The two are not interchangeable.)

Edited by c3k

1 hour ago, rocketman said:

Interesting that Civ map scrolling is aided. I have been on the fence for that game. Maybe I'll pick it up in the Steam summer sale that is coming up.

I like to play Civilization once in a while, but I quickly get bored of it. The core gameplay seems to have grown steadily more complicated in recent releases, but more subsystems to keep track of don't always lead to deeper gameplay. I think a lot of it is just gimmicks. But the series is always worth picking up when it goes on sale.

• 2 years later...