What happened to Theatre of War?

Recently, I got the entire Theatre of War collection for a bargain from Steam. I was surprised to find out that Battlefront, apparently, had something to do with updating the original Theatre of War.

All the games are fun, but are quite flawed (AI and UI). They, interestingly enough, cover conflicts that CM games don't: Early War, North Africa, Kursk, Korea. If anyone has played them, I would like to hear what they think of those games.

I am curious what happened to this franchise? Why are they not making more of them? Do people still play them?

1 hour ago, DerKommissar said:

Recently, I got the entire Theatre of War collection for a bargain from Steam. I was surprised to find out that Battlefront, apparently, had something to do with updating the original Theatre of War.

All the games are fun, but are quite flawed (AI and UI). They, interestingly enough, cover conflicts that CM games don't: Early War, North Africa, Kursk, Korea. If anyone has played them, I would like to hear what they think of those games.

I am curious what happened to this franchise? Why are they not making more of them? Do people still play them?

I bought the first one a loooong time ago. I tried it a few times, but never came into the game. Never liked the real time gaming and the graphics were not really thrilling. So, I gave up quickly.

Probanly the issue was, that the game scale was not too different from CM. And CM was (and is) simply better.

As I remember, the BFC let fade it out quite a while ago.

Edited by StieliAlpha

18 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

I bought the first one a loooong time ago. I tried it a few times, but never came into the game. Never liked the real time gaming and the graphics were not really thrilling. So, I gave up quickly.

Probanly the issue was, that the game scale was not too different from CM. And CM was (and is) simply better.

As I remember, the BFC let fade it out quite a while ago.

I agree completely. Although, the newer iterations did have vastly improved graphics. In some ways superior to CM graphics (shadows).

Aside from the annoying AI and confusing UI, I found that the maps were generally tiny. Things that can be improved.

This being said, BFC is concentrating on CM -- which is superior.