Must see short video of parade with historic Russian AFVs and softskins--including LL

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, John Kettler said:

HSU Loza said the T-34 could be heard from over a klick out if on a hard surface. Not exactly optimal for a stealthy approach.

Once, over 50 years ago, I was driving through the desert Southwest one night and pulled over to check the oil in my car. When I turned the engine off and shut off the headlights, two things struck me: one was how clear the air was (in those days), and the other was how awesomely quit it was. At least at first it was quiet because beside myself there was almost no traffic on that highway at night. Then off in the distance I began to hear a semi headed my way. I completed my business, which had taken maybe ten minutes, and pulled out onto the highway again and drove for a couple of miles before the truck and I passed each other going in opposite directions. The point of this story? That truck was 10-15 miles away when I first heard it. Diesels are loud.

Michael

Michael Emrys,

Sound carries well at night, because the air is cooler, therefore denser. Suspect, too, part of the noise is from the supercharger and the resonating long exhaust pipes. Was shocked to read a Peterbilt's peak horsepower (PACCAR MX013) is about the same as a T-34/85, but it it beats it all hollow on torque,

Regards,

John Kettler