Small thing I noticed - hiding vehicles don't turn off engine sounds

When we order a vehicle to hide, I assume that means turning off its engine in order to not be heard from a distance (this option was added in a semi-recent patch) However, the idling engine sound still plays while the vehicle is hiding.

But before you chew me out - yes, I know this is a small thing, and no, I am not demanding that this be fixed instead of [your favorite idea].

The manual says the Hiding vehicle will "keep a low noise profile". You can debate what the could mean but it's important to note that giving a vehicle a Hide command cuts the range at which it can be heard in half rather than reducing it to zero.

4 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

The manual says the Hiding vehicle will "keep a low noise profile". You can debate what the could mean but it's important to note that giving a vehicle a Hide command cuts the range at which it can be heard in half rather than reducing it to zero.

Is there a downside to hiding a tank? Slower to get moving? Less responsive to action?

32 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Is there a downside to hiding a tank? Slower to get moving? Less responsive to action?

Good question. I do not know if anyone has looked at that.

6 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

However, the idling engine sound still plays while the vehicle is hiding.

I believe the answer there is simple - hiding does not mean engine off. Many WW2 vehicles required dismounting and or a non trivial time to get their engine's started. Even with a reduced noise profile CM is still simulating combat situations and turning off you engine is not something you want to do if contact is imminent.

17 minutes ago, IanL said:

I believe the answer there is simple - hiding does not mean engine off. Many WW2 vehicles required dismounting and or a non trivial time to get their engine's started. Even with a reduced noise profile CM is still simulating combat situations and turning off you engine is not something you want to do if contact is imminent.

In that case, it was probably just me having the wrong idea about what hiding a vehicle meant.

5 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

That's good to know. I overlooked that part of the manual. Won't expect my hiding vehicles to be completely undetectable then.

53 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Not as far as I have noticed.

I agree with most of the previous statements. Yes, I too would think that “hiding” is with idling engine. Who of us would turn of his car in front of a traffic light?

One question has not been asked: Has the activation of the sound.wav any impact on the game play (or vice versa)?

4 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Who of us would turn of his car in front of a traffic light?

Actually some modern cars do that automatically to save fuel (and pollute less) :)

4 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

One question has not been asked: Has the activation of the sound.wav any impact on the game play (or vice versa)?

The sound effect has no impact on gameplay, but the gameplay obviously has influence on what sound to play.

22 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Actually some modern cars do that automatically to save fuel (and pollute less) :)

The sound effect has no impact on gameplay, but the gameplay obviously has influence on what sound to play.

You are aware, that the car‘s board computer is shutting the engine off? Guess why they don‘t leave it to the driver.

Re the sound effect: Yep, that‘s what I wanted to say. Something triggers something. We can‘t even be 100% sure what sort of sound is intended, or if the noise level has any influence on the game.

23 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I don't think so... I've observed it in several gas powered cars.

I had a chance to experience the “auto shut off” in two cars recently. It shuts off, when you fully press the brake and the car comes to a stand still. When you release the brake, the engine starts again.

1 hour ago, StieliAlpha said:

I had a chance to experience the “auto shut off” in two cars recently. It shuts off, when you fully press the brake and the car comes to a stand still. When you release the brake, the engine starts again.

Only if you put it in neutral, normally? At least for manual gearbox vehicles, in my experience you can make sure the engine doesn't shut off automatically as long as you keep it in gear. 
Anyway as long as you have a working starter motor and enough power in your battery to have it revolve the engine, starting shouldn't be a problem. But then when in any combat/dangerous situation that depends on the mobility of my vehicle, I'd say turning off the engine is just inviting Murphy. I don't know anything about the actual doctrines in use in WWII or more recently though.

Keep in mind also that the batteries in WW2 era vehicles were crap compared to todays. Turning off the engine would have meant going to unpowered gun traverse and elevation, the radios would start sucking the batteries dry and all electrical systems would have been reduced in effectiveness. You'd also have to start the vehicle every so often to keep the batteries charged and starting a tank is a lot louder than just idling one.

To back up Splinty, I read something recently a report from troops (Brit inf with lend-lease Shermans) complaining about the noise signature of the Sherman doing close infantry support, specifically the aux generator that had to keep running to power the radio. Here's a Youtube clip of a Sherman aux generator being powered-up (at the 44 sec mark). Tappity-tap-tap-tap. Rather reminds me of a single cylinder motorcycle engine.  Brits said that nearby Shermans gave away their positions and interefered with the inf listening for approaching enemy sounds.

This is a similar complaint to infantry tests with that robot pack mule-dog that was being tested recently. Lawnmower-style noise signature was not compatible with carrying out the mission.

Edited by MikeyD

... So here's a question.... in the manual, it says "Infantry receive NO benefit from hiding in open terrain".... Is it the same with reduced engine noise for a vehicle (I would assume it still has the 50% noise drop), and also --- If a tank hide commands behind say, a bocage or inside forest tiles, does it receive any anti-spotting (Trademark :D) bonuses? 

11 hours ago, Bozilas said:

... So here's a question.... in the manual, it says "Infantry receive NO benefit from hiding in open terrain"

The manual is wrong about that.

11 hours ago, Bozilas said:

.... Is it the same with reduced engine noise for a vehicle (I would assume it still has the 50% noise drop), and also --- If a tank hide commands behind say, a bocage or inside forest tiles, does it receive any anti-spotting (Trademark :D) bonuses? 

The Hide command has no effect on the visual spotting of vehicles.