German helmets not working to full capacity

After painstakingly compiling a few German helmet mods (thanks to the modders for these), I have not been able to get them to show correctly.

Also, it appears to me that there may be a problem with the stock installation/files as follows:

1) the stock helmet "smod_german_helmet-soldier 5.bmp" never appears in game. Also numbers 6 and 7 also never appear, they are near duplicates of 1 and 2 so it is hard to tell for sure. The screenshot below from a test shows that stock German helmets 5, 6 or 7 never appear.

OiKNr4r.jpg

3) I also note in the stock files there is a "smod_german_helmet-soldier 1.bmp". Normally the numbering of 1 is never used. Perhaps this is the problem and only limits the number of German helmets to 4 in total.

These files are in the 2.0 data file. I have checked this across three installations on my system, a fresh v 3.12, a borked v 4.0 and a fresh 4.0. Had the same issue.

Is anyone else able to get german helmets to show from 5+ in CMBN?

I have no idea what’s causing your problem Hardradi, but I have never had a problem with the number of German helmets, Heer, SS,  or FJ. I have all CM WWII titles and modules, all at the latest version. And never had a problem with any version, for that matter. All I can suggest is that you look very, very carefully at each helmet’s name to make sure you didn’t inadvertently add a space or forget a dash, etc.  Good luck!

Thanks mj. Like you I have not had any issues with other textures in CMBN or CMFI. I also thoroughly checked all the files names. The issue I appear to be having is not directly related to mods. Further to the details below, I suspect you are probably not using the Full 4.0 installer version of CMBN being a long time player you may still be using the an old legacy version upgraded to 4.0.

With further testing I have sort of got to the bottom of this problem.

WITHOUT ANY MODS:

1) Full 4.0 installer file version - does not work correctly. As reported above, the stock textures for German helmets 5, 6 or 7 never appear. The game is limited to four textures for the German helmet: null, 2, 3 and 4. (Tested on a new installation, the 4.5GB file).

2) My old legacy version which went through the entire upgrade chain over the years - this works correctly.

WITH MODS:

As above.

Can someone with a version of CMBN Full 4.0 install check on their system (this is the entire game from the 4.5GB file)?

Link to files that you can drop into your mod folder to test the stock textures: Link

Time for a beer. :)

Edited by Hardradi

4 hours ago, Hardradi said:

WITHOUT ANY MODS:

1) Full 4.0 installer file version - does not work correctly. As reported above, the stock textures for German helmets 5, 6 or 7 never appear. The game is limited to four textures for the German helmet: null, 2, 3 and ...

Hi Hardradi

This is what I had from the past asking to the forum ...waiting always untill now to a good gesture of peoples, to only one answer SINCE march 2017 !!!

Hi Guys

1) Can somebody tell me how work the game system to read and allowed or attribuated uniforms or helmets ? 

Helmet number "x" instead helmet number "y" to a specific uniform.

2) What are the files (...lod.mdr) what are they doing exactly in the game... are they the key of this choice?

3) About helmets: ready to play I can see all soldiers with differents helmets but only I can "see" smod_german_helmet-soldier ("0,2,3,4) 
smod "0" for helmet soldier.bmp,"2"is smod helmet soldier 2.bmp...,and in the game I have helmet soldier1 dont appear and "5" "6" "7" "8"are from a mod but dont appear in the game ?

I know this cos I sacrified a set of uniforms and helmets with drawing number on the pictures and loading the game to see the result.

How can I attribuated a specific helmet for exemple one from a loading mod ?

Thanks in advance to your answer

Edited by 3j2m7

9 minutes ago, 3j2m7 said:

Hi Hardradi

This is what I had from the past asking to the forum ...waiting always untill now to a good gesture of peoples, to only one answer SINCE march 2017 !!!

Hi Guys

1) Can somebody tell me how work the game system to read and allowed or attribuated uniforms or helmets ? 

Helmet number "x" instead helmet number "y" to a specific uniform.

2) What are the files (...lod.mdr) what are they doing exactly in the game... are they the key of this choice?

3) About helmets: ready to play I can see all soldiers with differents helmets but only I can "see" smod_german_helmet-soldier ("0,2,3,4) 
smod "0" for helmet soldier.bmp,"2"is smod helmet soldier 2.bmp...,and in the game I have helmet soldier1 dont appear and "5" "6" "7" "8"are from a mod but dont appear in the game ?

I know this cos I sacrified a set of uniforms and helmets with drawing number on the pictures and loading the game to see the result.

How can I attribuated a specific helmet for exemple one from a loading mod ?

Thanks in advance to your answer

Hi 3j2m7,

Yes I seen your post. Your English is hard to understand but I think you have found the same problem.

Also this guy might have had the same problem: LINK. It is not clear if he ever got it sorted out.

3 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_detail

Files that have an .mdr extension are models. The ones that have lod written into the filename are versions of the same model but in decreasing detail. They are used instead when games do not need to show the object in maximum detail, such as when the viewpoint is far away from the object, and so they use these lower detail versions to save performance.

For example when opening them up in Blender;

smod_british_helmet-para.mdr, the helmet model using 199 vertices, 520 edges, 320 faces

smod_british_helmet-para-lod-1.mdr, the helmet model using 156 vertices, 396 edges, 240 faces

smod_british_helmet-para-lod-2.mdr, the helmet model using 73 vertices, 172 edges, 100 faces

smod_british_helmet-para-lod-3.mdr, the helmet model using 61 vertices, 140 edges, 80 faces

smod_british_helmet-para-lod-4.mdr, the helmet model using 37 vertices, 76 edges, 40 faces

smod_british_helmet-para-lod-5.mdr, the helmet model using 16 vertices, 30 edges, 16 faces

You can see that with each model for this helmet the detail (number of vertices, edges, faces the models made up from) decreases. Having the most detail smod_british_helmet-para.mdr would be the one being used when your viewing the unit close up. And smod_british_helmet-para-lod-5.mdr having the least detail would be used when the viewpoints very far from the unit.

Edited by Oliver_88

14 minutes ago, Oliver_88 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_detail

Files that have an .mdr extension are models. The ones that have lod written into the filename are versions of the same model but in decreasing detail. They are used instead when games do not need to show the object in maximum detail, such as when the viewpoint is far away from the object, and so they use these lower detail versions to save performance.

For example when opening them up in Blender;

smod_british_helmet-para.mdr, the helmet model using 199 vertices, 520 edges, 320 faces

smod_british_helmet-para-lod-1.mdr, the helmet model using 156 vertices, 396 edges, 240 faces

smod_british_helmet-para-lod-2.mdr, the helmet model using 73 vertices, 172 edges, 100 faces

smod_british_helmet-para-lod-3.mdr, the helmet model using 61 vertices, 140 edges, 80 faces

smod_british_helmet-para-lod-4.mdr, the helmet model using 37 vertices, 76 edges, 40 faces

smod_british_helmet-para-lod-5.mdr, the helmet model using 16 vertices, 30 edges, 16 faces

You can see that with each model for this helmet the detail (number of vertices, edges, faces the models made up from) decreases. Having the most detail smod_british_helmet-para.mdr would be the one being used when your viewing the unit close up. And smod_british_helmet-para-lod-5.mdr having the least detail would be the one being used when your very far away from the unit.

Thanks Oliver this is the answer that I was hopping to recieve long time ago..but you couldn't know on this time...

Now to go in details have to loading Blender and learn myself how is working and trying to make some "experiments"...thank a lot to your detailled answer this cost you +2 😊 !

3 hours ago, Hardradi said:

Hi 3j2m7,

Yes I seen your post. Your English is hard to understand but I think you have found the same problem.

Also this guy might have had the same problem: LINK. It is not clear if he ever got it sorted out.

😎I am happy to make the choice to learn German and French, totally different to understanding but rich in sentences and meaning, true that from one year about my knowledge in  Shakespeare language the world was different...  My english is a mix of all forrums in the world this is how you contacting peoples sometime high level bad level in good and bad manners when we are crossing Ocean and landing of the Bigs States and Cie where the english language are the only treasors that they have... but untill now I am surviving with lot of mistakes but I can swim ...😆

9 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

😎I am happy to make the choice to learn German and French, totally different to understanding but rich in sentences and meaning, true that from one year about my knowledge in  Shakespeare language the world was different...  My english is a mix of all forrums in the world this is how you contacting peoples sometime high level bad level in good and bad manners when we are crossing Ocean and landing of the Bigs States and Cie where the english language are the only treasors that they have... but untill now I am surviving with lot of mistakes but I can swim ...😆

I meant no insult. :P  Your English is not that bad just a little hard to understand sometimes. Yes, you can swim. :D  I cannot speak or write any other language so you are way better than me. 

Lets hope we can get some answers on this problem. At least I learned what the mdr files are for.

11 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Hardradi, you are correct, I actually never used the full installer, but upgraded the old legacy version to 4.0. It would never have dawned on me that there would be a difference, but it appears you may have found one. I hope it gets sorted. 

Hi mj, this is a bit more evidence that I may be right on this one.

There are at least three differences in the core Data files which I spotted (v100E (does not exist in 4.0 FULL), v110 and  v220). I tried swapping the legacy Data files into a FULL 4.0 install but it did not fix the problem.

5 hours ago, Hardradi said:

I meant no insult. :P  Your English is not that bad just a little hard to understand sometimes. Yes, you can swim. :D  I cannot speak or write any other language so you are way better than me. 

Lets hope we can get some answers on this problem. At least I learned what the mdr files are for.

Was not offense about you, but in general rule if you cannot explain your problems correctly, nobody take the time to understand, this is the reflect from the real life.

Personly I am always very kind with peoples and say things kindly and funny, but when I ask something, the minimum is to answer, and after one year...🤔

So yes more peoples are detecting the problem with the  the german helmets and I hope also that WE can resolve the problem...😏

@Hardradi can you confirm in your option settings that you have 3D set to best. This not only affects how things visually appear but also how many textures are loaded into the pregame cache. Fastest settings load only texture 1 and 2 to save virtual drive space whereas Best quality loads everything. Just a hunch. 

5 hours ago, nik mond said:

@Hardradi can you confirm in your option settings that you have 3D set to best. This not only affects how things visually appear but also how many textures are loaded into the pregame cache. Fastest settings load only texture 1 and 2 to save virtual drive space whereas Best quality loads everything. Just a hunch. 

Yes, that worked. It was set to balanced on the new install. Something simple. Thanks mate. 

14 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

Was not offense about you, but in general rule if you cannot explain your problems correctly, nobody take the time to understand, this is the reflect from the real life.

Personly I am always very kind with peoples and say things kindly and funny, but when I ask something, the minimum is to answer, and after one year...🤔

So yes more peoples are detecting the problem with the  the german helmets and I hope also that WE can resolve the problem...😏

Don't get to worked up about it, its hard enough to get someone to listen and understand in real life anyway. We have an answer above. :)

21 hours ago, nik mond said:

This is good information.  I had no idea about this.  Everyday is a learning day with this game/simulation.  Thanks for sharing this.  +1

On 14/05/2018 at 10:07 AM, PIATpunk said:

yes this is great info.  To be clear though, I assume this is setting '3D Textures' to Best?

Based on my limited testing it appears that the number of textures is directly related to "3D Texture Quality" setting. "Best" allowed me to view all of the stock textures and all of the textures I had in the mod directory.

• 2 years later...