Mod to remove thunder?

10 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Renamed to backgroundrain.wav - still doesn't work. Thunder still rolls.

I dont say and show in my text  (backgroundrain.wav) but background rain.wav just to precise !

When this doesn't work the problem is somewhere else !

Edited by 3j2m7

1 hour ago, 3j2m7 said:

"background rain.wav"

Indeed, important clarification! 

I put the attached .wav file in the folder C:\Users\name\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Final Blitzkrieg\User Data\Mods.

This is not the main folder for the game, you'll find the default location is in your Program files - the root folder being wherever your .exe is located. In that you'll see a data folder and then you'll nee to create a mod folder call it z_my mods. Put all mods in this folder!

1 hour ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Indeed, important clarification! 

This is not the main folder for the game, you'll find the default location is in your Program files - the root folder being wherever your .exe is located. In that you'll see a data folder and then you'll nee to create a mod folder call it z_my mods. Put all mods in this folder!

I think this folder has changed with CMFB? It used to be a Z folder in the data folder, but now there's a specific "mods" folder ... it works putting the file there at least

I have  a bunch of BG sounds.  One is "background rain_thunder.wav" with the underline between rain and thunder. 

I can't recall playing a scenario with thunder and rain.  But, have always assumed that it would play automatically without renaming should there be rain and thunder together.  

Or, do I have wrong naming convention?

FWIW: I use a day BG sounds of birds chirping for all my CM2 titles (and crickets BG sound for night).  They sound great and very atmospheric while one's troops get into position. Once firing starts you know it's on-map shooting, not BG noise.

13 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think this folder has changed with CMFB? It used to be a Z folder in the data folder, but now there's a specific "mods" folder ... it works putting the file there at least

Yep, CMBN uses C . . . Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy\Data\Z.  That changed with subsequent games per Micro$oft guidance back in the day to separate "programs" from "data" in distinct folders for software applications.  CMFI, CMRT, and CMFB have C . . . Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Fortress Italy\User Data\Mods but they also allow D:Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Fortress Italy\Data where you can create Z.

Now I'm confused.  Which folder should one use for mods in the non-CMBN games?

13 hours ago, Badger73 said:

CMFI, CMRT, and CMFB have C . . . Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Fortress Italy\User Data\Mods

Yep, put your mods in there that are not version specific.

but they also allow D:Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Fortress Italy\Data where you can create Z.

Also works - I put my version specific mods here. For example Vin's animated text has a separate version for each version of the game. I put those mods here. Then when I create a install folder for the next game I can just clear it's program files mods folder and the new game will run and the old game will still have its mods while I finish up my PBEM games with it.

Now I'm confused.  Which folder should one use for mods in the non-CMBN games?

Wherever you like.