A distraction while we wait..

4 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I've been following this for months... As an ex airborne soldier it's a must have for me!

If you don't mind me asking, what unit were you in?  I was 313th MI Bn. / 82 Airborne back in the 1980's.  (My avatar is the crest of the 313th.)  

Looks like a fun game. Curious about the tank combat. This being said, I'm always cautious about all these multiplayer-only games that come out. Can't really play them if the servers are down or if the community is dead. Unless they introduce good bots, I'll wait for a steam sale.

1 hour ago, weapon2010 said:

the graphical bar is set very high by , BF will have to "up their game" or face potential  loss of new market share

considering this is a multi player FPS shooter game I doubt that.  Mostly a different audience.  Not that I don't think BF will or should up their game, just this isn't the same exact customer base.  Personally I'd never buy this game, just not my cup of tea even if Combat Mission didn't exist.

Two completely different game systems, difficult to compare them at all as sburke mentions. These new games have the graphics but they certainly don't have the historical TOE/tactics/FOW etc.  I expect that a grog mod will be required before I get serious with it ( I mean, the AFV system uses health points at the moment for example).  They are a hoot to play though (eg Red Orchestra)

On 4/10/2018 at 10:14 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

If you don't mind me asking, what unit were you in?  I was 313th MI Bn. / 82 Airborne back in the 1980's.  (My avatar is the crest of the 313th.)  

Ah another MI guy! What kind of analyst is 96B? I was in from 2010 to 2015 and was a 35P. I believe my MOS used to be known as 96G.

51 minutes ago, Bearstronaut said:

Ah another MI guy! What kind of analyst is 96B? I was in from 2010 to 2015 and was a 35P. I believe my MOS used to be known as 96G.

Good to see you here my friend.  +1   There are several of us on the forum that were MI.  

96B was intelligence analyst.  I worked in the G2 SCIF on base and was part of the Tactical Operations Center (TOC) when deployed.  I think the MOS was reclassified to 35F at some point after my ETS.  

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Good to see you here my friend.  +1   There are several of us on the forum that were MI.  

96B was intelligence analyst.  I worked in the G2 SCIF on base and was part of the Tactical Operations Center (TOC) when deployed.  I think the MOS was reclassified to 35F at some point after my ETS.  

I didn't interact much with you guys. I was tucked away in the SIGINT shop at the SCIF in Korea for 3 years. 

18 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

the graphical bar is set very high by , BF will have to "up their game" or face potential  loss of new market share

It's the old graphics versus content dilemma. Do you want a beautiful tech demo that has 2 hours of content? Or a 2d game that has inexhaustible units and campaigns? Or something, in-between?

Different strokes for different folks and there are plenty of examples of "bad graphics" games being incredibly successful. Even in the same genre, I prefer CM over Graviteam games. Graviteam games are prettier, but are generally made up of a few samey campaigns. 

On 4/11/2018 at 7:32 PM, sburke said:

considering this is a multi player FPS shooter game I doubt that.  Mostly a different audience.  Not that I don't think BF will or should up their game, just this isn't the same exact customer base.  Personally I'd never buy this game, just not my cup of tea even if Combat Mission didn't exist.

Yes I agree, it is a different audience, but the entire gaming audience is where you get new customers from.You can't flourish without a new customer base.Some may look at the Post scriptum game and try the demo because the game "looks so pretty".They get hooked, buy the game and start playing, now CM is cut out.They are cut out do to time constraints, customers only have a finite amount of time in a day to enagage in video games.These customers wont even try CM now, sadly because most humans buy based on looks.And I have no problem at all with CM graphics, BF  just needs to "up their game" (like they did from CM1 to CM2 )for the potential customer who does. Im sure this is no great revelation to BF.

It's one of the reasons am hoping that CM3 is well in the works.  Most grog players are not primarily concerned about graphics - that is a different market.  The gamers concerned mostly with graphics may never enjoy the complexity/sim quality of CM2.  But, yes, the CM2 graphics are essentially from 2007 CMSF. 

By now BF must have collated a huge list of improvements and wish list items that may not be practicable with CM2.

CM1 was obsolete (altho still fun to play) in 8 years.  CM2 is now 11 years old.  Say no more...

1 hour ago, weapon2010 said:

Yes I agree, it is a different audience, but the entire gaming audience is where you get new customers from.You can't flourish without a new customer base.Some may look at the Post scriptum game and try the demo because the game "looks so pretty".They get hooked, buy the game and start playing, now CM is cut out.They are cut out do to time constraints, customers only have a finite amount of time in a day to enagage in video games.These customers wont even try CM now, sadly because most humans buy based on looks.And I have no problem at all with CM graphics, BF  just needs to "up their game" (like they did from CM1 to CM2 )for the potential customer who does. Im sure this is no great revelation to BF.

What about Minecraft, Terraria, Clash of Clans, CS:GO, WoW? Just to name a few games with massive audiences and inferior graphics. Betting your money on graphics is betting your money on a moving train. That's why a lot of similar FPS's become obsolete quickly, and often get abandoned.

Even if we assume that the average consumer buys games based on looks. Is that the end of your revenue? Will they play it for 4 hours and stop? Getting them hooked is one thing -- the challenge is keeping them hooked. Companies try to make the bulk of their money, these days, on DLC, micro-transactions and loot-boxes.

BF knows what their customers want, that's why they have lasted eons more than Postscript will. Their current audience will pay for upgrades, new titles and extended content. Stuff that keeps us hooked.

Edited by DerKommissar

41 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

Their current audience will pay for upgrades, new titles and extended content. Stuff that keeps us hooked.

Edited 10 minutes ago by DerKommissar

Oh please don't misinterpret, I am hooked. My original point is to stay graphically competitive so we can get more "hooked",just like they have with shot damage on tanks.Wall damage and rubble could really use a boost, its not even upto current BF standards, because alot of the stuff in CM is beautiful, they do a great job with trees and vegetation.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Josey Wales said:

I was interested in this until I saw the 'GPS' maps used in game. I realise the developers want to maximise their customer base but games like this are the reason kids ask WW2 vets questions like 'how did you charge your mobile?'

Agreed, but I'd overlook that if they manage to crack the old problem of how to make a tactical multiplayer shooter, well... tactical. Instead of a random chaos mess.

20 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Agreed, but I'd overlook that if they manage to crack the old problem of how to make a tactical multiplayer shooter, well... tactical. Instead of a random chaos mess.

Also agreed. I think that restricting access to information for individual players would go a long way to help that. The GPS map is a good example as it gives everyone way too much info which devalues it and negates the requirement for Command & Control. By restricting access to info, leaders have to work harder to get it and ensure they communicate it to their subordinates, making info more valuable as it should be. This will require full use of contact reports, sit reps and land navigation techniques and the ability to disseminate this info. In turn individual players will be reliant on C2 from their superiors in a way that is not yet required in most FPS games. Now whether people would find that fun or not is up to individual taste and will likely only appeal to a minority hence the  devs reason for access to a GPS map. 

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:42 AM, weapon2010 said:

Oh please don't misinterpret, I am hooked. My original point is to stay graphically competitive so we can get more "hooked",just like they have with shot damage on tanks.Wall damage and rubble could really use a boost, its not even upto current BF standards, because alot of the stuff in CM is beautiful, they do a great job with trees and vegetation.

Agreed.  Love the game but it could always use just a bit more here and there on the maps.  Especially on building damage.  Would also be nice to see damaged vehicles on map etc.  Just think of the screenshots we'd get.  A wrecked tank with the treads spilling off perched awkwardly on a rubble pile..... :D