AI Plans

I do recall some videos were put onto YouTube a few years back but don't have the links. Otherwise there is the Sherriff of Oosterbeek scenario making tutorial which bundled with the game.

I did a tutorial for CMSF 1:

Neither of these cover off on the new additions to the engine like triggers but it is perfectly possible to make a good AI plan without all of that stuff.

FWIW, the advice I generally give is:

• Understand what your narrative is.
  • Understand the limitations of the AI.
  • Come up with a SIMPLE plan that is tactically plausible.
  • Do your best to achieve it within the limitations of the AI.

Most people struggle because:

• They are too ambitious.
  • They think that AI plans should be exactly as if a human player is plotting all of the moves and targets.

Remember that the AI is not there to win - it is there to give the human player a good run for their money.

IIRC the few videos avaliable on Youtube are pretty much only teaching 'the basics'....To get a bit more indepth advice...

The two tutorials mentioned by Combatintman would be a good place to start imo if you are new to AI-plans...and the manual offcourse.

Other then that...there are a few great tips scattered all around these forums regarding some more 'advanced'  AI-planning...but nothing really put togehter in a single thread as far as i know.

Experience...That's whats makes a good AI-planner :) Start simple...get the basics down...and then experiment...try different things and see what happens...What works and what doesn't.

When doing these experiments...and a specific situation comes up that you are unable to find a solutiuon to...ask a 'specific' question...here (maybe) :)

Is it possible to do this ?, i can't get this to work...what am i doing wrong ? any good tips for getting the AI to do this ? etc

I'm sure the scenariodesigning pros will chip in and give some good advice...It's not so easy to 'write down' Everything that makes a good AI-plan just like that in a single post...

Ask away...specific questions...ones you have the basics down...and i'm sure you will get good specific answers...

6 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

.get the basics down...and then experiment...try different things and see what happens...What works and what doesn't.

^^^ This

Scenario author mode is your friend, - watch and repeat the AI in action carrying out the plan(s) you have given it. After a while you should get a feel for what and why the AI is doing in game.

P

19 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

What is the best way to understand making good AI Plans?Any resources or videos?

Take a scenario you think has a great AI plan and load it up in the editor. Check out the plan the scenario author created and how it flows and works together.  Then experiment and watch your plans over and over again. I am still trying to get my plans perfect and this is the technique I am using.

32 minutes ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Take a scenario you think has a great AI plan and load it up in the editor. Check out the plan the scenario author created and how it flows and works together.  Then experiment and watch your plans over and over again. I am still trying to get my plans perfect and this is the technique I am using.

This is a very good tips ! B)

How does he 'design' the waypoints, the use of triggers, timings, what movement options does he use where and when, the use of other settings such as causious, active, ambush etc...

Edited by RepsolCBR