Series on Night Swallows/Night Witches on Amazon Prime!

This TV series is overall well done, thought provoking, moving, even entrancing at times. The show is called Night Swallows and is in Russian with English subtitles here in the US. The Germans called the members of Stalin's secretly assembled Night Aviation Bomber Regiment die Nacht Hexxen (Night Witches) because of the misery and bedevilment the unprecedented in the Red Air Force female crews inflicted. The Germans dubbed their fragile looking Polikarpov Po-2/U-2 (no, not that kind) biplanes "sewing machines" because of their characteristic engine sounds. Reading a proper book on these amazing ladies (unless you consider flying 1000 missions unremarkable) has long been on my to do list, and watching this has reminded me afresh. Courage, cowardice, devotion to duty, shirking same, careerism, loyalty and betrayal are all on display. The show is about Russia at war, the Party at war, the Russian people at war, the clash between Communism and deep Russian Orthodox religious beliefs. Above all, it is about these young women, operating in a man's world, doing the riskiest of flying, yet remaining women with hopes and dreams, triumphs and tragedies, strength and fragility,  throughout. And overarching it all are  Russia herself and the Russian soul.  There are some wonderful toys (way too many Landser armed with MP38/40s, a common problem in western war dramas, too) and also "forest brothers" AKA Spetsnaz! 

Should say, too, that I got to see a real Po-2 in Night Swallow configuration at Paul Allen's Flying Heritage & Armor Museum in Everett, Washington a few years back. That museum also has the only flying Il-2 on the planet. Amazon Prime offers a free 30-day trial. Might want to jump on that!

1600px-Polikarpov_Po-2_Paul_Allen's_WWII

Image Credit: Flickr via Wikimedia Commons

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Heinz von Westernhagen, on his way to see Peiper at his command post, lost his life to one of these birds.  Just as he was walking up to the door of the command post,  a 'swallow' cut its engine and glided in for the bomb drop.  Shrapnel entered von Westernhagen's skull (again), but this time got the better of him.  He never saw or heard the plane coming in by accounts.

Paraphrasing from an account in 'Michael Wittmann, vol. 2'...

Edited by Blazing 88's

18 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Reading a proper book on these amazing ladies (unless you consider flying 1000 missions unremarkable) has long been on my to do list...

John, a new book on this subject has recently been published and got good reviews in my aviation magazines. If I can, I'll look it up and get the title for you later.

Michael

Blazing 88's,

Haven't see you post in quite some time. Welcome back. Didn't know that story, so thanks for sharing. Was going to say something about those deadly bolt out of the blue engine off attacks,   but you got there first. Weirdly, they don't get much coverage in the show. Their ultra low altitude attacks (certainly exaggerated as to how low for the sake of getting the action in frame) look crazy, but I've seen wargame footage from the late 1930s in which sacks of flour were used by the Army Air Corps to simulate bombs and trucks got nailed. Of course, the frag effects from an impacting sack of flour are minuscule compared to even a 50 kg bomb, of which Wiki says it can carry 6. That's a pretty respectable bomb load. Would further observe the Wiki for the Night Witches shows havoc caused by them far greater than what the series depicts. They blew up tactical bridges, destroyed trains, savaged supply and ammo depots, wrecked transport vehicles and armor, etc. By US standards, 8 episodes aren't much of a season, but that's still better than the UK's Inspector Banks, for which we got 6! How I hope for another season of Night Swallows!

Michael Emrys,

Good to know and standing by!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On April 1, 2018 at 3:33 PM, John Kettler said:

Good to know and standing by!

I searched through my magazines but couldn't find the reference. I wish my memory was as of old when I could have gone straight to it like a bloodhound on the trail, but alas time and tide have had their way with me. In searching on Amazon however I did come across this: 

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Witches-Mirren-Hogan/dp/1988281164/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1522827328&sr=1-4&keywords=night+witches#customerReviews

The timing is about right although this is described as fiction, which is not something I recall. The reviews on Amazon are all highly complementary, so I leave the choice to you.

Michael

I recall seeing a newish title on this subject somewhere too.....IIRC it was the second part of a book on 'nuisance bombing', this one featuring the German equivalent of the 'Night Witches' (I think it had a converted Arado(?) trainer on the front cover).

I'll post a link if I find it again.