Uprgraded to High Sierra & now get this CMBN error

While in a sense this is moot, given my current inability to play CM, I believe it's necessary to have that capability, since history shows it can return at any time. Game ran fine under latest build of Sierra, but now I get 

ERROR 209, but I have no idea why.  Do I need to open a Support Ticket?

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

With an OS upgrade it might be an issue of the copy-protection system being tripped. Typically I would expect a different error message to come up, but perhaps this is how it works on the Mac. Is this CMBN 4.0 or are you installing/running an earlier version ? I'm not sure if the earliest versions (1.x, maybe 2.x) MIGHT have problems with the latest MacOS, but I don't really know.

I suggest opening up a Helpdesk ticket. They may have you use the gsClean utility to delete your current activation and reactivate. You MIGHT need another activation for your license key (typically there are 4 activations available with each license key by default). If that is the case, then you'll need to provide your license key and request an additional activation be added. You may need activations for each module/upgrade you have for CMBN.

When I initially go to the page to start the Helpdesk ticket process it is considered 'secure' by my Chrome browser under Windows 7 (an 'https' connection). Are further pages labelled as 'unsecure' by your browser ?

If the solution is to run gsClean, then you MIGHT have to do it for each module and reactivate each one. Not too much of a hassle, though on the Mac this MAY involve running a script from a Terminal window. Reactivating each module shouldn't be too much of a hassle afterwards, unless you have to manually locate and type in the license key for each one.

Schrullenhaft,

There is no secure symbol visible under Safari Version 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.2) even when logged into BFC for checking orders, ordering, etc. Haven't checked the HelpDesk situation, as have been too busy dealing with HelpTickets, of which I have three open: CMBN, CMBS and CMFB. John C. sent me separate executables to sort out the first two, and the Activation Panel came back with Error 209. In the second case, I got Error 209 with no opportunity to input a License Key!  Of course, we both know getting myself sorted out in terms of making these games functional again is proactive on my end, since I can't play any CM presently and haven't been able to for months.

P.S.

Went back and checked the HelpDesk. At the Welcome to the Portal level, it's wide open, with no security lock visible. can't say what's after that.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Past mentions of the 'error 209' in these forums associate it with a 'fingerprint mismatch', which is saying that something changed on the computer (hardware or software) that doesn't match when the game was activated. Typically deleting the activation via gsClean (or the manual 'terminal method' of deleting the activation) should allow you to re-activate (and the 'fingerprint' gets generated anew for this new activation). I can only guess that if you're getting the 'error 209', then it is possible that the activation for the game (or module or upgrade) wasn't fully deleted before you started the game up again. 

You could try the 'manual' method of deleting activations on the Mac. This involves running the Terminal and executing commands to delete some hidden files. This will delete ALL of your current CM activations (including anything you just re-activated) and should allow you to reactivate without the 'error 209' (supposedly).

I've been having the same issue in the Mac version of CMSF (all modules) for about a year now (Error 209 with no opportunity to input a serial number). CMSF does work on OS 10.6, but I'm having trouble with permissions on that drive, so it's just a pain. I put in a ticket, did the gsClean thing a number of times, and worked with Steve for about a week or two. Nothing worked. Steve finally said that unfortunately, I'd have to wait for the engine 4 (or whatever the version for CMSF) to be able to play it. CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, CMFB, and CMBS all work fine. I'm hoping the new CMSF release soon, because I really miss my Marines. BTW, I also get the "not secure" message when signing in using Firefox, as well as Safari.

Edited by Vet 0369