• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Sign in to follow this  
John Kettler

Uprgraded to High Sierra & now get this CMBN error

Posted (edited)

While in a sense this is moot, given my current inability to play CM, I believe it's necessary to have that capability, since history shows it can return at any time. Game ran fine under latest build of Sierra, but now I get 

ERROR 209, but I have no idea why.  Do I need to open a Support Ticket?

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

With an OS upgrade it might be an issue of the copy-protection system being tripped. Typically I would expect a different error message to come up, but perhaps this is how it works on the Mac. Is this CMBN 4.0 or are you installing/running an earlier version ? I'm not sure if the earliest versions (1.x, maybe 2.x) MIGHT have problems with the latest MacOS, but I don't really know.

I suggest opening up a Helpdesk ticket. They may have you use the gsClean utility to delete your current activation and reactivate. You MIGHT need another activation for your license key (typically there are 4 activations available with each license key by default). If that is the case, then you'll need to provide your license key and request an additional activation be added. You may need activations for each module/upgrade you have for CMBN.

Have opened a ticket for it and one for CMBS which showed the same error when asked for the serial key. Had to abandon fixing CMFB because I discovered the site wasn't secure, even when logged in! 

Regards,

John Kettler

When I initially go to the page to start the Helpdesk ticket process it is considered 'secure' by my Chrome browser under Windows 7 (an 'https' connection). Are further pages labelled as 'unsecure' by your browser ?

If the solution is to run gsClean, then you MIGHT have to do it for each module and reactivate each one. Not too much of a hassle, though on the Mac this MAY involve running a script from a Terminal window. Reactivating each module shouldn't be too much of a hassle afterwards, unless you have to manually locate and type in the license key for each one.

Posted (edited)

Schrullenhaft,

There is no secure symbol visible under Safari Version 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.2) even when logged into BFC for checking orders, ordering, etc. Haven't checked the HelpDesk situation, as have been too busy dealing with HelpTickets, of which I have three open: CMBN, CMBS and CMFB. John C. sent me separate executables to sort out the first two, and the Activation Panel came back with Error 209. In the second case, I got Error 209 with no opportunity to input a License Key!  Of course, we both know getting myself sorted out in terms of making these games functional again is proactive on my end, since I can't play any CM presently and haven't been able to for months.

P.S.

Went back and checked the HelpDesk. At the Welcome to the Portal level, it's wide open, with no security lock visible. can't say what's after that.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Past mentions of the 'error 209' in these forums associate it with a 'fingerprint mismatch', which is saying that something changed on the computer (hardware or software) that doesn't match when the game was activated. Typically deleting the activation via gsClean (or the manual 'terminal method' of deleting the activation) should allow you to re-activate (and the 'fingerprint' gets generated anew for this new activation). I can only guess that if you're getting the 'error 209', then it is possible that the activation for the game (or module or upgrade) wasn't fully deleted before you started the game up again. 

You could try the 'manual' method of deleting activations on the Mac. This involves running the Terminal and executing commands to delete some hidden files. This will delete ALL of your current CM activations (including anything you just re-activated) and should allow you to reactivate without the 'error 209' (supposedly).

Posted (edited)

I've been having the same issue in the Mac version of CMSF (all modules) for about a year now (Error 209 with no opportunity to input a serial number). CMSF does work on OS 10.6, but I'm having trouble with permissions on that drive, so it's just a pain. I put in a ticket, did the gsClean thing a number of times, and worked with Steve for about a week or two. Nothing worked. Steve finally said that unfortunately, I'd have to wait for the engine 4 (or whatever the version for CMSF) to be able to play it. CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, CMFB, and CMBS all work fine. I'm hoping the new CMSF release soon, because I really miss my Marines. BTW, I also get the "not secure" message when signing in using Firefox, as well as Safari.

Edited by Vet 0369

I get the not secure message too. To be fair, I get it on a bunch of sites, and this is new behaviour with Safari, so I suspect that is a warning they added for sites that require a sign on but don’t have https. 

Posted (edited)

John C. sent me an .exe for CMFB. It, alas, didn't work, either. Since I haven't heard from him since that last lamentation, I believe he's gone back to the drawing board. Stay tuned.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler