Once Upon a Time on the Western Front

1 hour ago, IanL said:

And the excitement starts...

Funny you say that... 

Fully 1/3 of the game time elapsed without a shot fired. I spent a lot of time doing recon, trying to see his units and positions without revealing myself. I tend to be more...er... direct usually, but I was eager to put to practice all the things I’d read about scouting..

8 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

Funny you say that... 

Fully 1/3 of the game time elapsed without a shot fired. I spent a lot of time doing recon, trying to see his units and positions without revealing myself. I tend to be more...er... direct usually, but I was eager to put to practice all the things I’d read about scouting..

I hope it worked out for you!

20 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

I hope it worked out for you!

It did. And yet, I could only afford to do this much effort at recon because the time for the battle was very generous. If it had been the more usual time allotted I’m not sure how I’d be able to compensate. 

19 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

The recon and "quiet" is just heightening the intensity of the story.  I was already holding my breath as the scouts were slowly crawling forward, sure at any minute that the enemy would open fire and the red crosses would start sprouting.  Great work!!!  :D

Heinrich505

Thanks, Heinrich! I’m glad that worked in the comic because each minute I was creeping around in those wood I was expecting to lose multiple guys...but it didn’t happen. Well, not until that sniper got lucky, anyway. 

18 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Thanks for this episode, keep 'em coming Bud, I'm hooked.

Thanks, Oliver! I hope the map was useful in orienting oneself.

4 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Geez Bud, tell Hirsch to stop leading from the front. :o  The Ami are almost out of command squad to shoot at.  Just Hirsch and the radio man.  This keeps up and someone else is gonna finish writing that letter to Paula.  Yikes.

Heinrich505

:lol: It’s not uncommon to see this happen amongst officers. :unsure:

9 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Elizabeth :- "Now what have I told you about reading comics when you're at the breakfast table?"

Crommers :- "Sorry, my sweet. I won't do it again."

:lol: Tell her it’s necessary for the good of the realm.. :huh:

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The top panel (If that's the correct name) showing the overview is really cool.  Especially with the small map in the top right hand corner.  Very nice Bud. 

Oh, good! I wanted to orient the reader without a thematic break in the story. Nice that it works. I’m so glad you noticed the little map. 

"Anarcho-syndicalists view the primary purpose of the state as being the defense of private property, and therefore of economic, social, and political privilege, denying most of its citizens the ability to enjoy material independence and the social autonomy that springs from it.[3] Reflecting the anarchist philosophy from which it draws its primary inspiration, anarcho-syndicalism is centred around the idea that power corrupts and that any hierarchy that cannot be ethically justified must either be dismantled or replaced by decentralized egalitarian control."

Don't get it.  Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say "Empire" rather than Commonwealth or Realm.