Infantry Equipment Upgrade

I have taken the plunge into trying CMBS mods. I decided that I want to try something that nobody is really doing. Using the tools provided with the game, and the plugin for Blender created by sbobovyc my intent is to try and upgrade some of the models that you see in the game. To start this off, I decided to upgrade the pouches and gear that are found on US troops. I'm still learning, so forgive the rather amateur models. I didn't want to put a ton of detail into them, but maintain the same level that Battlefront as set forth to us.

GreQkuj.png
I will attempt to make a slightly more modernized chestrig, featuring a couple more pouches than what is found on current infantry. It will be based off the default chestrig simply to get the correct curvature of the soldier.
eACmRYN.png
Here I have decided to try and create a PRC-117G to replace the default RTO bag. The smaller size of that version is a little lighter than the one that is featured. In addition you won't normally find the sat antenna, but typically a whip.

Any suggestions or input are welcome. I'm absolutely terrible at texturing, so if anyone wants to help in that regards it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Firehead

10 hours ago, Firehead said:

I have taken the plunge into trying CMBS mods. I decided that I want to try something that nobody is really doing. Using the tools provided with the game, and the plugin for Blender created by sbobovyc my intent is to try and upgrade some of the models that you see in the game. To start this off, I decided to upgrade the pouches and gear that are found on US troops. I'm still learning, so forgive the rather amateur models. I didn't want to put a ton of detail into them, but maintain the same level that Battlefront as set forth to us.

GreQkuj.png
I will attempt to make a slightly more modernized chestrig, featuring a couple more pouches than what is found on current infantry. It will be based off the default chestrig simply to get the correct curvature of the soldier.
eACmRYN.png
Here I have decided to try and create a PRC-117G to replace the default RTO bag. The smaller size of that version is a little lighter than the one that is featured. In addition you won't normally find the sat antenna, but typically a whip.

Any suggestions or input are welcome. I'm absolutely terrible at texturing, so if anyone wants to help in that regards it would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm !! I see you are working with 3ds max, Maya,  Blender,...so you make your job very professional  than...look forward to seeing more...!!

8 hours ago, Firehead said:

Thanks! I'm not promising a lot, but I'm going to do my best. There is a ton to learn, and I'll be doing this pretty much on my own. It is all trial and error.

Cool.  Look forward to what you come up with.  We can never have to many moders around here!!! I'm not a moder myself but there are several very talented, helpful ones around who would probably be willing to answer questions give you tips etc.  Maybe the learning curve / burnout would not be so bad for you.  One Guru of moding (and who knows what else :unsure:) that comes to mind is @Mord :D.  Good luck.  :)  

Well, I decided that the original radio model was crap, and I can do better. So we've gone from the radio I showed above, to this:

IZNbexXl.png
GVxa8cE.png
jTLQVgU.png
I've made the antenna and selector knob a little more detailed, as well as the faceplate cover. In addition I have rounded the pouch for the radio, so it looks a little less...fake. I also have it scaled correctly. Once it is on the soldier in game, it should be the correct dimensions, as well as modeled off of a COTS pouch. A couple more details and I'll begin texturing with the help of a friend. More to come!

Edited by Firehead

Little update: Textures are nearly done. I'm not happy with the fastex buckle since it was hand made.

wH4DRPk.png
O744w5y.png

Problem I'm running into is getting it in game. I can't seem to get it to line up with the soldier model, and the textures won't show up. I'll play around with it. Any texture guys have insight?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 9:30 PM, Firehead said:

GreQkuj.png
eACmRYN.png

Man this is awesome. Great Job! How long did it took for you to learn how to model things like that? 

On 5/31/2018 at 4:24 PM, sbobovyc said:

If you want, I take a look at your blend file.

Sorry man, give me a while and I'll send it to you. Work is crazy busy so this is on the backburner.

3 hours ago, Oleksandr said:

Man this is awesome. Great Job! How long did it took for you to learn how to model things like that? 

A while with a lot of trial and error. I have previous experience making stuff in Armed Assault so this wasn't too much different. Really it comes down to learning the keystrokes and what different commands do what, etc. Then just having a sharp eye and being familiar with the equipment.

1 hour ago, Firehead said:

Sorry man, give me a while and I'll send it to you. Work is crazy busy so this is on the backburner.

A while with a lot of trial and error. I have previous experience making stuff in Armed Assault so this wasn't too much different. Really it comes down to learning the keystrokes and what different commands do what, etc. Then just having a sharp eye and being familiar with the equipment.

Well great job man. I mean now you are able to change the game in a structural way. Its not an eye candy what you doing - it is more of a new element of equipment right there. Would be great if you would upload your work on CMMODS website afterwords. It would popularise the game and it would give you way more feed back from other players (who are not on the forums yet). Awesome job bro. 

• 1 month later...

One thing I yearn for most in the Combat Mission franchise is individual soldier variation; meaning that there is a lot of different equipment that can be mixed and matched between soldiers. By all means please continue to add more unit equipment into the game. And do you plan on sharing what you come up with?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

so I figured out how to get the Rhino mount on the ACH and vertical grips on the M4. The issue I face now is that I can't find the mdr. file for the m4a1-TWS. I was able to swap the models for the m4a1.mdr and the m4a1_acog mdr. there should be a third mdr im guessing. but I can't find it in the bra files I exploded. can anyone help with this? 

On 5/30/2018 at 11:07 PM, Firehead said:

I never did, no. I haven't had time to tinker with it. Work is extremely busy, plus I have had school.

I have gotten the same problem with black textures while skinning my CAF weapons mod. Unfortunately, it's been almost a year or so since I worked on that. I have since forgotten what the exact fix was... I think it was either because of the way I saved the bmp file in gimp or either that the modded texture was not the same file size as the original.

Edit: This is in Gimp, try the compatibility option and I think it has to be in 24 bits.

image.png.eb8abe630d075b2fe69e2ed761b57056.png

Edited by AtlasActual

14 minutes ago, AtlasActual said:

I have gotten the same problem with black textures while skinning my CAF weapons mod. Unfortunately, it's been almost a year or so since I worked on that. I have since forgotten what the exact fix was... I think it was either because of the way I saved the bmp file in gimp or either that the modded texture was not the same file size as the original.

Edit: This is in Gimp, try the compatibility option and I think it has to be in 24 bits.

image.png.eb8abe630d075b2fe69e2ed761b57056.png

You have to tick Do not write color space information 

Cheers