New Scenario: Tactical Operations Center

Have you played this Ian?  It is intricate & detailed in a way that is utterly unique, it requires a level of attention unlike any other scenario.....If a player goes into this without understanding exactly what they are doing, they will find themselves in a world of hurt. 

I've been putting a lot of effort into testing this (to destruction in a couple of instances), I hope my input has been of use to @MOS:96B2P, but if it has not, perhaps you might permit him to speak for himself?  I think he knows me well enough by now to appreciate that I won't take offence if he tells me to STFU. 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

12 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Have you played this Ian? 

I wish Ian had the time.  

2 hours ago, IanL said:

I would recommend avoiding bring attention back to the earlier issue repeatedly.

Good point. 

12 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've been putting a lot of effort into testing this 

Your assistance and candid feedback is appreciated.       

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Have you played this Ian? 

Too many other things on the go. Which reminds me I have to get back to my assigned writing project. :)

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It is intricate & detailed in a way that is utterly unique, it requires a level of attention unlike any other scenario.....If a player goes into this without understanding exactly what they are doing, they will find themselves in a world of hurt. 

I am very much looking forward to it coming out. From the description here this will likely be one of the few scenarios I will play vs the AI.

I have no doubt you will be very, very impressed.....Plus it's an absolute hoot!  ;)

I've got to the point of having nicknames for some of my units, notably, 'The BTR of Doom!' and places/things, such as 'The Precious', otherwise known as the Powerplant:D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

That dosen't sound right. I play against the AI nearly every day. But those games are not for my entertainment but for testing.

Yeah, that still doesn't sound right - it is very entertaining to play the AI.

This will be one of the few games I play against the AI that I am looking forward to.

Sigh that's still not right - Oh I give up.

:D

It's not like any game against the AI that I've played before.....It boggles my mind to think how long @MOS:96B2P spent working up the basic idea alone and as you know I spend more time in the editor (as a rule, but not right now) than I do playing the games. 

'Different' & 'Brilliant'.....Those are two good words for this thread.  B)

15 hours ago, grunt_GI said:

SO, any update on this...I have been watching and waiting....B)

Just finishing touches.  I think the scenario will need a PDF file to make it easier to understand the new concepts.  This is probably the last hurdle and one that I did not anticipate.  Thanks for the interest. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

27 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Just finishing touches.  I think the scenario will need a PDF file to make it easier to understand the new concepts.  This is probably the last hurdle and one that I did not anticipate.  Thanks for the interest. 

Outstanding...yes, for those of us in the remedial category of CMBS players, I think the PDF will be most welcome.

Tactical Operations Center HUMINT.   The below is an example of how HUMINT intelligence is collected/disseminated.  All names and locations have been changed to protect the guilty :D.  

The intelligence from defectors is located in their name field in the user interface.  The alpha character at the beginning corresponds to information in the intelligence code table.  The format for the intelligence code is as follows:  Leadership rating of HUMINT source corresponds to the reliability of the intelligence.  Information Code (alpha character), Grid Coordinates, Time.   Example: -2   A 44133108 1530 = Separatists will attack at grid coordinates 44133108 at 1530hrs.  Intelligence is considered improbable. 

F = A top lieutenant in the Separatist's organization street name "Psycho" was located at grid coordinates 27435816 at 1530hrs.  The intelligence has a +1 reliability which means it is considered to be probably true.  

R0f5mAuh.jpg

wURW6jdh.jpg

The grid coordinates are located on the map. 

UlUfVWXh.jpg

As the UAV Operations Center tasks a UAV to observe the area of the grid coordinates a QRF mounts up and prepares to head out the gate of the FOB. 

dW6pHWgh.jpg

Edited by MOS:96B2P

i'm a bit late to this party...i have not been following this thread previously...but like all others...

I have to say WOW !! :D

The clever design of this scenario is VERY IMPRESSIVE indeed...

One small idea (perhaps not for this scenario but something to considder for future Projects...) 

The last pictures with the briefing screen containing the intelligence code and stuff looks very cool but i fear it will be somewhat difficult to 'not cheat' and read more lines then the specific one at any given situation...I guess that it will not be all that big a deal if the players do read several of the lines in advance of the actual event...but to some degree it removes some of the fog of war if the player knows about the content of several of the future intelligence reports ahead of time...

For example if he reads the K-line he knows he might get an report about a bomb factory...If he reads the J-line he knows he might get a report on the location of 'the jackal'...

It may not look quite as good but an option for the intelligence code in the briefing picture could be to use seperate pages at the end of the briefing text or designer notes to share this information. In addition to reducing the risk/cheat of getting to know the basic event of several intelligence reports at ones it will also allow you to include more text in the intelligence reports...

There is no limit in the number of pages a briefing or designer note can have as far as i know. You could put ONE report on each individual page...Put the 'page number' at the top and the intelligence report (text) at the bottom....This will allow the player to flip through the pages without risk of Reading the reports not currently ment to be read...

One page could look like this perhaps...(the actual briefing text is not very good ;) just a small example of the possibility to add more text to the report...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intelligence report:   J

We have recieved information about the Butcher's Lt 'the Jackal' having scheduled a meeting at grid refrence 4413 3108. The time for the meeting is set to 15.30.

According to our intelligence he will meet with several junior comanders to discuss future operations in the area. The Jackal usually travels with a security element of something like 20 men, probaly mounted in APCs...Expect additional hostiles to be in close proximity to this meeting...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 hour ago, RepsolCBR said:

i'm a bit late to this party...i have not been following this thread previously...

Well............. I see in the future I'm going to have to send you a special invitation so your not late again. :)

1 hour ago, RepsolCBR said:

For example if he reads the K-line he knows he might get an report about a bomb factory...If he reads the J-line he knows he might get a report on the location of 'the jackal'...  There is no limit in the number of pages a briefing or designer note can have as far as i know. You could put ONE report on each individual page...Put the 'page number' at the top and the intelligence report (text) at the bottom....This will allow the player to flip through the pages without risk of Reading the reports not currently ment to be read...   

This is an interesting idea and might work even better in a PDF document.  There would be room and ability in a PDF to create an intelligence work up to include photos etc.

For this scenario I tried to mitigate what the player is allowed to see in the intelligence code.  Some intelligence in the code will never be reported in the game.  Some intelligence is used more than once.  So the player doesn't know which intelligence he will get, how often he will get it, the location it might be at or how long it will remain accurate.  It is of course out of order (B does not follow A etc).  The intelligence that the player does receive is not always accurate (The reliability table will offer limited guidance for HUMINT).  Also some intelligence is time sensitive.  It was reported as probably true that Psycho was at a certain location at 1530hrs.  He may or may not be there at 1600hrs.  Or he may be there until the player hits a trigger.  Some intelligence will lead to additional intelligence.  As an example, there may or may not be Tactical Site Exploitation (TSE) at any reported location.  So maybe no Psycho at the location but TSE may be discovered there (disseminated through a touch objective).  The intelligence revealed by TSE may or may not be accurate and may also be time sensitive.  There are also other types of intelligence that have a different means of dissemination that come from the SIGINT shack, the SCIF and the S2 shop all located in the FOB.  This intelligence doesn't use the code table.  Then there is the more traditional method of obtaining intelligence through the UAV Operations Center, located in the FOB, and both static and maneuver units out in the field.    

It will be a busy shift in the Tactical Operations Center (TOC).  Command decisions (choices) will have to be made with limited resources.  The scenario is intended to be an interesting static sandbox campaign.  There are many different ways to play it.  Every play style has advantages and disadvantages.  With the use of triggers and unique ways of using the game mechanics different events will take place at different times.  And some will never happen if a player is able to interpret intelligence, unravel the Separatist network (and be a little lucky).  :D      

2 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

This is an interesting idea and might work even better in a PDF document.  There would be room and ability in a PDF to create an intelligence work up to include photos etc.

Sounds good - you could get very creative with that.

2 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

For this scenario I tried to mitigate what the player is allowed to see in the intelligence code.  Some intelligence in the code will never be reported in the game.  Some intelligence is used more than once. 

And some might never be used. :)

Hint, even if what I just suggested above is not true maintain that it is and put it in the briefing. That table is for interpreting the intel the player gets when they encounter those defectors *not* for people to read ahead and form opinions on what is to come. The fact that the timing and location are in the defector's names means reading the table has limited value. If you add to the player's mind that not all of them will be used that leads them to focus on the actual intel they get and not try to guess from the table what is up.

Hint hint. I recommend saying that the above suggestion was already your plan and is already implemented - thanks for idea that I already had Ian - sheesch.

:D

15 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Some intelligence in the code will never be reported in the game. 

Never reported = never used......... if I understand what you said below. :)  

5 minutes ago, IanL said:

And some might never be used. :)

If you add to the player's mind that not all of them will be used that leads them to focus on the actual intel they get and not try to guess from the table what is up.

Hint hint. I recommend saying that the above suggestion was already your plan and is already implemented - thanks for idea that I already had Ian - sheesch. 

Thanks for the idea that I already had Ian - Sheesch.  :D :lol:

2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Well............. I see in the future I'm going to have to send you a special invitation so your not late again. :) 

Most kind of you, sir :)...But hopefully i will be able to be 'in time' next time...

True...

I (as others, i belive) have had such an idea in the back of my head for quite some time...to do the entire briefing as an attached PDF...But as of yet have not gotten around to actually do it.

It will no doubt give the scenario designer greater possibilities to create some very cool briefing documents compared to the quite limited options avaliable currently within the game...

One of the things on my wishlist is to be able to upload a greater variaty of files to the briefing screen (not being limited to a simple text-file)...including PDF-files...Also allowing for greater resolution in the briefing screens would be most welcome....Until this happens (if it ever will) i guess that attached PDF-files is a good option for some more detailed and complex briefings...

For this scenario I tried to mitigate what the player is allowed to see in the intelligence code.  Some intelligence in the code will never be reported in the game.  Some intelligence is used more than once.  So the player doesn't know which intelligence he will get, how often he will get it, the location it might be at or how long it will remain accurate.  It is of course out of order (B does not follow A etc).  The intelligence that the player does receive is not always accurate (The reliability table will offer limited guidance for HUMINT).  Also some intelligence is time sensitive.  It was reported as probably true that Psycho was at a certain location at 1530hrs.  He may or may not be there at 1600hrs.  Or he may be there until the player hits a trigger.  Some intelligence will lead to additional intelligence.  As an example, there may or may not be Tactical Site Exploitation (TSE) at any reported location.  So maybe no Psycho at the location but TSE may be discovered there (disseminated through a touch objective).  The intelligence revealed by TSE may or may not be accurate and may also be time sensitive.  There are also other types of intelligence that have a different means of dissemination that come from the SIGINT shack, the SCIF and the S2 shop all located in the FOB.  This intelligence doesn't use the code table.  Then there is the more traditional method of obtaining intelligence through the UAV Operations Center, located in the FOB, and both static and maneuver units out in the field.    

Very much impressed with the way you got this worked out...:)

As i am with the other ideas here...

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

It will be a busy shift in the Tactical Operations Center (TOC).  Command decisions (choices) will have to be made with limited resources.  The scenario is intended to be an interesting static sandbox campaign.  There are many different ways to play it.  Every play style has advantages and disadvantages.  With the use of triggers and unique ways of using the game mechanics different events will take place at different times.  And some will never happen if a player is able to interpret intelligence, unravel the Separatist network (and be a little lucky).  :D      

Totally COOL !! :D

So yeah, I went and bought Black Sea. This is now officially a 60 dollar scenario! ;)

I did have a thought, if you receive points for Red casualties, do the forces that EXIT from a destroyed base count towards that? Or do you miss out on inflicting those casualties if you prevent them from operating?

Anyway, my work break starts on the 8th. If the scenario is not released, would you mind hooking me up with a test copy?

15 hours ago, General Jack Ripper said:

I did have a thought, if you receive points for Red casualties, do the forces that EXIT from a destroyed base count towards that? Or do you miss out on inflicting those casualties if you prevent them from operating?  Anyway, my work break starts on the 8th. If the scenario is not released, would you mind hooking me up with a test copy?

Welcome to the CMBS club my friend. 

Exited RedFor would not count as destroyed points in parameters.  (You don't even have the scenario yet & you are already providing useful feedback)   The points (set in parameters not unit objectives) is for 60% of the entire RedFor.  So these VPs can still be earned by BluFor even if the base camps are destroyed.  Any battles for base camps, if that is the decision made by the player, will also increase the percentage towards the 60% goal.  It is one of the advantages / disadvantages a player will consider when making command decisions.  The risk of clearing a base camp vs the reward of stopping the future attacks that originate from said base camp.

I'll send you a PM.  

On 03/05/2018 at 1:31 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

Welcome to the CMBS club my friend. 

Exited RedFor would not count as destroyed points in parameters.  (You don't even have the scenario yet & you are already providing useful feedback)   The points (set in parameters not unit objectives) is for 60% of the entire RedFor.  So these VPs can still be earned by BluFor even if the base camps are destroyed.  Any battles for base camps, if that is the decision made by the player, will also increase the percentage towards the 60% goal.  It is one of the advantages / disadvantages a player will consider when making command decisions.  The risk of clearing a base camp vs the reward of stopping the future attacks that originate from said base camp.

I'll send you a PM.  

hey, i would really like to try this out too, would it be possible to get a test copy? thanks