New Scenario: Tactical Operations Center

2 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

For some reason, no comments I post on anything over there ever show up. :(

Bootie  has a delay on comments so they can be reviewed before they post.  If you make a comment on Tactical Operations Center it will be displayed in the comments section within 24 hours.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Pericles said:

Here is part 1 of a cinematic AAR of the Tactical Operations Center scenario. A bit on the hasty side but hopefully it does the scenario some justice.   

Very cool video.  Its interesting to see the command decisions players make and the tactics they use.  Did you decide not to make an air assault and used an entirely overland force to get to the village of Uhniv?  

Using the river to get the BTR around possible mines along river road was a cool idea.  Really thinking outside of the box.  I was nervous the BTR was going to bog/immobilize before it got back in the fight.  I was holding my breath as I watched ............ I'm glad that worked out for you.  Also just FYI, the briefing gives clues to where the mines may be placed (spare tire flavor objects).  The briefing is accurate, no tricks. 

What a blood bath at the radio station!!!  It looks like you handed the Separatist their a$$ in that encounter.  Cool fire fight.  

Is the intelligence you received so far understandable and useful?  

Very nice work with the camera and the on screen explanations of what is going on.  Thanks for taking the time to make this.     

Very glad you enjoyed it. Like most others are saying, this is the freshest CM scenario I've ever played. I tend to steer away from using the term "innovation", but this is truly innovative. 

I decided not to go with the air assault - transporting my men by helicopter at 1 pm in the afternoon in a Separatist invested area seemed like a bad idea. 

I wasn't sure about the affected radius around the tires so I went with the river crossing (once and only once). 

The intel is definitely understandable and useful. 

Stay tuned for part 2, the Power Plant remains hot and I'm about to attempt to extract a couple defectors from the North Outpost. 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, evilman222 said:

Fantastic scenario, to say the least. Good to see intel play a role in a scenario beyond the briefing screen. Any chance you'll ever do a similar scenario for CMSF2?

Funny you should ask. :)

A new CMSF2 scenario Coup d'etat was just released to Beta testers yesterday.  I will start a new forum topic for it in the CMSF2 Maps and Mods forum thread in a few days.   This one is from the POV of rebels attempting to overthrow a corrupt regime with an early morning (0400hrs) Coup.  It also features a modified military grid system and intelligence.  In addition it uses all the cool features of CMSF2, IEDs, VBIEDs, spies, combatants, fighters, bridge demolition, etc.  It also makes heavy use of triggers and has a variable ending time.  A player can choose to fight on for about an extra hour however the regime OpFor will be awarded extra victory points.  So every decision has advantages and disadvantages for the player to make based on his interpretation of the intelligence and his feel for the developing situation.      

Gyorgjth.png

An early morning explosion as viewed by US Marines from the rooftop of the US Consulate. 

y0roJxMh.jpg 

11 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Funny you should ask. :)

A new CMSF2 scenario Coup d'etat was just released to Beta testers yesterday.  I will start a new forum topic for it in the CMSF2 Maps and Mods forum thread in a few days.   This one is from the POV of rebels attempting to overthrow a corrupt regime with an early morning (0400hrs) Coup.  It also features a modified military grid system and intelligence.  In addition it uses all the cool features of CMSF2, IEDs, VBIEDs, spies, combatants, fighters, bridge demolition, etc.  It also makes heavy use of triggers and has a variable ending time.  A player can choose to fight on for about an extra hour however the regime OpFor will be awarded extra victory points.  So every decision has advantages and disadvantages for the player to make based on his interpretation of the intelligence and his feel for the developing situation.      

Gyorgjth.png

An early morning explosion as viewed by US Marines from the rooftop of the US Consulate. 

y0roJxMh.jpg 

Which reminds me - I owe you an e-mail my friend - give me a few days and I'll have a look at this.

1 minute ago, Combatintman said:

Which reminds me - I owe you an e-mail my friend - give me a few days and I'll have a look at this.

Cool, and no worries, your input is always worth the wait :).  Also, I just sent you the briefing on a Word document for easier viewing etc.  

Without giving anything away, I can vouch that that MOS has made another impressive leap in his progression to re-imagining the CM2 game and what design brilliance can achieve. 

One could describe "Coup d'etat" as "TOC" on steroids as a result of some even more ingenious ways MOS has discovered of (eg) creating conditional reinforcements that may cost VP's if the player makes the decision to activate them.  There are also "political" and "financial" decisions that the player can make that will change his Victory Points or determine if enemy forces desert (or mount an attack).  Lots of hard decisions and choices for the player to make.  The other twist is that this is a Red vs Red scenario.  

The Briefing alone took me a few hours to digest.  But, am confident in saying that if you enjoyed the decisions one had to make in TOC, you will definitely enjoy Coup...

A scenario that not only utilizes intelligence and strategic decisions, AND one where the player controls irregular forces (is it just me or are there suprisingly few scenarios with a guerilla warfare feel to them?)? It feels like Christmas all over again... any guess as to when it'll be released?

Testing just started.  The good news is that after over an hour in, the scenario plays well "out of the beta box".   But, MOS always keeps improving his designs so...  the wait will be worth it.

In addition to novel concepts that MOS has perfected and enhanced from the TOC scenario, the new item that his most exciting is the ability to call upon "conditional" reserves - (conditional on losing Victory Points).  This has been the Holy Grail since CM2 came out.

In CM1, one could specify Battalion, Regimental and Divisional level reserves to be released if the game AI determined that the player was struggling.  This was a huge help in making sure that a game was pleasurable by avoiding the dreaded need to stop and restart after large losses that could mean the scenario was unwinnable.  This feature was not included in CM2 and many have asked about it

MOS has figured out several ingenious ways that enable just that sort of voluntary reinforcement - simulating the player asking for reinforcements at the cost of VP's.

As with the concepts in TOC one can only hope that other designers will be inspired to utilize these novel ideas.

And if you have not yet played TOC, get on that!  That will ensure that you will be ready for the challenges of Coup d'etat when it's released.

12 hours ago, Erwin said:

Testing just started.  The good news is that after over an hour in, the scenario plays well "out of the beta box".   But, MOS always keeps improving his designs so...  the wait will be worth it.

In addition to novel concepts that MOS has perfected and enhanced from the TOC scenario, the new item that his most exciting is the ability to call upon "conditional" reserves - (conditional on losing Victory Points).  This has been the Holy Grail since CM2 came out.

In CM1, one could specify Battalion, Regimental and Divisional level reserves to be released if the game AI determined that the player was struggling.  This was a huge help in making sure that a game was pleasurable by avoiding the dreaded need to stop and restart after large losses that could mean the scenario was unwinnable.  This feature was not included in CM2 and many have asked about it

MOS has figured out several ingenious ways that enable just that sort of voluntary reinforcement - simulating the player asking for reinforcements at the cost of VP's.

As with the concepts in TOC one can only hope that other designers will be inspired to utilize these novel ideas.

And if you have not yet played TOC, get on that!  That will ensure that you will be ready for the challenges of Coup d'etat when it's released.

Yeah I've been playing that quite a bit lately. A reserve/dynamic reinforcement system will certainly be interesting. That said, I don't usually restart if losses get to the point where the mission isn't completable. I'll usually assign my own tasks (retrieve any heavily wounded men from the battlefield and withdraw to friendly positions/the edge of the map, regroup and find a place to hold out until the end of the mission, scout the objective but don't attack it, etc). It'll be nice to actually send reinforcements to bail out a unit that's rendered ineffective.

Hopefully the devs will add a more advanced scripting system at some point in the (probably distant) future. If this i what MOS can pull off with a pretty rudimentary system, imagine what he could do with some actual tools in his inventory...

There are indeed new tools to help the AI that were added in 4.0. People (myself included) are just beginning to use them.

Further, advanced, branching triggers would also certainly be near the top of my list for further improvements. That would be a logical evolutionary step for the Editor in the future, I would imagine.

Edited by benpark

5 hours ago, benpark said:

There are indeed new tools to help the AI that were added in 4.0. People (myself included) are just beginning to use them.

Further, advanced, branching triggers would also certainly be near the top of my list for further improvements. That would be a logical evolutionary step for the Editor in the future, I would imagine.

Agreed. That and an off-map decision system might be useful for things like calling in reserves.

Below is the link to another scenario Coup d'etat that also uses in game intelligence and a modified military grid system.  This one is set in CMSF2.  So it uses all the cool features of CMSF2:  IEDs, VBIEDs, spies, combatants, fighters, bridge demolition, etc.  It also makes heavy use of triggers and has a variable ending time.  A player can choose to fight on for about an extra hour however the regime OpFor will be awarded extra victory points.