New Scenario: Tactical Operations Center

I’ve been working on a new scenario for CMBS 4.0 called “Tactical Operations Center”.  It is in Beta testing now and is intended as player vs AI.  Below is part of the Designer Notes that gives an overview.  Followed by a few screen shots.

This is a fictional scenario that may take a while to load depending on your computer. The player takes charge of a Tactical Operations Center (TOC) located in a Forward Operating Base (FOB) for a four-hour shift. The player is responsible for the successful execution of the mission during his shift. The scenario was created with the idea of being a static campaign in a counter insurgency environment.  It is a multi-battle scenario set on a large map (approximately 7.5 square kilometers) that, unlike a traditional combat mission campaign, shows persistent map damage. So, as the player maneuvers a Quick Reaction Force (QRF) down a roadway in response to actionable intelligence he can drive past the burning wrecks of a mistake he made earlier or the scattered bodies of a Separatist unit he destroyed. The scenario also provides three types of intelligence to help guide the decision-making process. The three types of intelligence are Human Intelligence (HUMINT), Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) and Tactical Site Exploitation (TSE). HUMINT is collected from Separatist who defect under an amnesty program administered by the Ukrainian government. The HUMINT intelligence is in the name field of defectors and includes an intelligence code, grid coordinates and time. A quick glance at the intelligence code sheet (included in the briefing) allows the player to know what, where and when something will occur or where something is located. Some of this HUMINT is time sensitive. The TSE and SIGINT are provided by touch objective notifications at the top of the screen. This intelligence will be useful in bringing The Butcher of Belz (enemy commander) to justice and for disrupting Separatist operations. The grid coordinates are created by a pattern of grid lines placed on the map using a blue occupy objective. The grid numbers are displayed on the map edges using landmarks. A brief explanation of this modified military grid system and how to use it is provided in the briefing. The player can, if he decides to, launch an air assault during the setup phase. There are four different landing zones to choose from. Forward Operating Base (FOB) Apache has a Helicopter Landing Zone (HLZ) where reinforcements will arrive, and other units will exit from. The FOB also has a mortar pit that will be resupplied with ammo both by air and by convoy if the roads and HLZ remain open. Another feature included in the scenario is the ability to destroy base camps thereby preventing the Separatists from receiving their scheduled reinforcements.

WFtevV9.jpg

A Quick Reaction Force (QRF) mount their Strykers as 120mm mortars fire in the background as the FOB responds to assist an ambushed patrol.

to55bxoh.jpg

Separatists scouting for vulnerable infrastructure to attack.  Separatist mod created by @pquumm.

MaNExMMh.jpg

Street fight in the town of Belz.   

Edited by MOS:96B2P

The Area of Operations is approximately 7.5 square kilometers. To make it easier to find locations a pattern of grid lines was placed on the map using a blue occupy objective. The grid numbers are displayed (land marked) on the edges of the map.  A basic understanding of how the grid system works is necessary to understand the intelligence reports you will receive during the mission. Below is a brief explanation of this modified military grid system. During the setup phase or in the first few turns you can locate your mortar pit at the FOB and then use the below directions to determine the grid coordinates of the pit.  After you understand how the coordinates of the mortar pit were found you will be able to find any grid location on the map. The action spots are easier to see and count if you hold an infantry movement cursor above the map which will highlight the action spot it is above.

The mortar pit, located in Forward Operating Base Apache, is in grid square 4431. The center action square of the mortar pit is grid coordinate 44133108. 

1. To find the grid square of the mortar pit start from the left and read right along the south map edge until you come to 44, the first half of the coordinate. Then read up to 31, the other half. The mortar pit is in grid square 4431.

2. 4431 gives the grid square, but there are a lot of action spots inside a grid square. To make the grid more accurate, add numbers to the first half and numbers to the second half so your grid has eight numbers instead of four.  (Place a zero in front of any single digits. This is the modified part)

To get eight numbers, count the action spots inside grid square 4431 running east from vertical grid line 44 until you reach the center of the mortar pit. This number is 13.  So, the first half of the grid is now 4413.  Next count the number of action spots running north from horizontal grid line 31 until you reach the center of the mortar pit. This number is 8 but we will record it as 08.  So, the second half of the grid is 3108. Put the grid together and you have 44133108 which is the center action spot of the mortar pit. If the center of the mortar pit was exactly on line 31, the second part of the grid coordinate would be 3100. Reminder: The action spots are easier to see and count if you hold an infantry movement cursor above the map which will highlight the action spot it is above.

Uamo9eHh.jpg

UlUfVWXh.jpg

Forward Operating Base (FOB) Apache has a mortar pit with two 120mm mortars.  The mortars are on call to provide fire support to Quick Reaction Forces (QRFs) and to support Ukrainian security forces in static positions guarding infrastructure.  If roadways are blocked and/or the QRFs are ambushed support from these mortars may be the only thing keeping a security unit from being overrun.   The resupply and careful expenditure of mortar ammo may be critical to successful mission accomplishment.  Additional mortar ammo will attempt to arrive by both road and helicopter sling load if the Main Supply Route (MSR) and Helicopter Landing Zone (HLZ) remain usable.  

sLdO7VYh.jpg

zHB3Idfh.jpg

xjsWtGLh.jpg

WHUHEujh.jpg

Much of the infrastructure in the scenario are red touch objectives.  The Separatist gain victory Points (VPs) for briefly occupying certain (unknown to the player) facilities.  Even if they are later driven out of a facility the Separatists still earned VPs.  Some of the facilities are the Power Plant, Detention Facility, Radio Station, Train Station, Cell Tower and Government Complex. Below are screenshots of the Power Plant which is located along the river north of the Town of Belz.  The facility is operational ;) and generates smoke from the smoke stacks for approximately the first 30 minutes of the scenario until it runs out of coal :lol:.

FeqQDSlh.jpg

v4VhOM2h.jpg

mXsoi9lh.jpg

tPk1ZP4h.jpg

9 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

I'm a little confused on how this is supposed to work. How do you simulate the sling loading, variable reinforcements and such? Did you develop a script to work in the background or something?

The sling load is just fancy talk for ammo dumps arriving as reinforcements directly to the mortar pit.  I had a choice.  The ammo could show up on the HLZ as some other reinforcements do.  However it would have to be an ammo vehicle so it could drive over to the pit and be close enough for the mortars to use.  And while this is possible I thought it would be cool to deliver some of the ammo dumps directly to the mortar pit and call it a sling load :D

By variable reinforcements I think your probably asking about the last sentence of the OP where I typed: "Another feature included in the scenario is the ability to destroy base camps thereby preventing the Separatists from receiving their scheduled reinforcements".

If this was the question the answer is a bit involved.  I am working on a post with screenshots to explain the game mechanics of this (I think it's pretty cool and something I stumbled across during scenario design a few months ago).  I will try to post it today or tomorrow and tag you when I do.  

1 hour ago, IanL said:

This does look cool. I too am interested in the answer to @IICptMillerII's question about reinfocements but also how do you have the smoke stop after 30 min?

I am not sure when I'll get to this but i am interested in trying it out.

Well the smoke stopping at 30 minutes was not my idea :angry:.  I bent the game mechanics all around trying to make them smoke the entire scenario.  However, in CMBS the pillars of smoke (burning vehicles) stop after 30 minutes.  Using additional pillars of smoke to "reinforce" the original complicated the footprint of the smokestacks and they had their own problems with how long they would provide smoke (some less than 30).  So 30 minutes was the only reliable, reasonably complicated way I could make it work.  So I was just trying to be funny when I said the power plant ran out of coal.  Actually you can tell I was fibbing because behind the plant, near the railroad tracks, are several full coal bin flavor objects. :P  

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Ok I see you have only shared with testers at the moment. Cool. Wish I could offer to test but I would not be able to give it the time it deserves. I look forward to reading more and trying it when it is ready.

Yes, Ian my friend, it is only at Beta 3.  I wanted to ask you to test it but I know of the other highly classified projects you are busy with :ph34r:

Trust me.....This is one of the most innovative and creative scenarios out there. 

I am really, really impressed with the clever way @MOS:96B2P has used every element of the editor in a creative way, the Intelligence Briefings that you get IN GAME are a work of genius. 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

If this was the question the answer is a bit involved.  I am working on a post with screenshots to explain the game mechanics of this (I think it's pretty cool and something I stumbled across during scenario design a few months ago).  I will try to post it today or tomorrow and tag you when I do.

I'm intrigued by this.....I'm guessing this is the wire/flavour objects combination you described?

12 hours ago, Firehead said:

Might be the next evolution in terms of scenarios, based on what I'm reading.

In terms of scenario writing, the bar just jumped a good few notches upward.....This is very special indeed.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

5 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

However, in CMBS the pillars of smoke (burning vehicles) stop after 30 minutes. 

I had no idea. Love the run out of coal line.

Yes, Ian my friend, it is only at Beta 3.  I wanted to ask you to test it but I know of the other highly classified projects you are busy with :ph34r:

Possibly - and thanks. :D

Edited by IanL
smile

Game mechanics of a Separatist’s Base Camp: All active base camps have a stationary security element.  An active camp has at least one maneuver unit assigned.  The unit leaves camp, conducts operations and then returns. On the next scheduled reinforcement turn, the unit receives reinforcements, in the base camp, that are assigned to the same AI group. The unit then conducts additional operations. A Separatist (red) exit zone is in the camp but is blocked by a combination of no-go terrain and barbwire. The Separatist maneuver unit’s movement paths cross the exit zone.  While the exit zone is blocked the Separatists path finding AI goes around the exit zone. 

s2RzP5dh.jpg

d717mCVh.jpg

US/Ukrainian forces can eliminate the camp by destroying whatever forces are present and then destroying the barbwire. 

FrsFKrGh.jpg

F9eqFjsh.jpg

The barbwire is the key.  Because after the barbwire is destroyed all future Separatist maneuver units & reinforcements will enter the exit zone (never reaching Order #4) eliminating the camp as a source of Separatist units.  The only reliable way US/Ukrainian forces can remove the barbwire is with demo charges. This compels the player to enter and clear the camp instead of calling in arty from a distance.

ZwvlNWEh.jpg

xnP8OA7h.jpg

There are also inactive base camps.  The inactive base camps are present since the player may, in addition to the three types of intelligence provided, use a 4th source of intelligence. The fourth source would be IMINT (Imagery Intelligence) used by flying the camera low over suspected base camp locations. So to confirm an active vs inactive base camp will require boots on the ground.  Another more realistic and cool way to attempt to make the ID would be through the use of the one provided drone.  Then send in a QRF!  

@IICptMillerII @Bil Hardenberger @Gumshoe @SLIM @Combatintman @Oleksandr Just FYI. 

Bil I tagged you because IIRC you were SIGINT back in the day?  Or had some connection to Intel anyways. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P