Controlling Lots of Units: Any Tips?

Not to bee too cheeky, but honestly the best way to manage lots of units is to play turn based.

I understand why you like real time. When I first started playing CM I only played real time as well. There are some benefits to it, one being that playing the game itself flows much better. However, especially with larger scenarios, the game really does shine in turn based mode. I would recommend giving it a try a few times and seeing what you think. You can always do turn based on larger scenarios and real time on smaller ones.

7 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Not to bee too cheeky, but honestly the best way to manage lots of units is to play turn based.

I understand why you like real time. When I first started playing CM I only played real time as well. There are some benefits to it, one being that playing the game itself flows much better. However, especially with larger scenarios, the game really does shine in turn based mode. I would recommend giving it a try a few times and seeing what you think. You can always do turn based on larger scenarios and real time on smaller ones.

This would be my advice also...

Hopefully one of the more skilled real time players will pop in here and give you some more specific advice on playing RT...but please give WEGO a try...

RT in larger battles tends to become somewhat of a click-fest...atleast for me...

WIth RT you can still pause and issue orders, when you are playing single player. If you find yourself being overwhelmed with all the activity, pause it, issue some orders and keep playing.

I used to play RT with company plus sized games, and I felt it to be too overwhelming. Not being able to replay a part of the scenario to find out where guys are taking fire from (audio/visual cues) or what killed them cannot be done. Since you can't pay attention to every squad or vehicle in RT, WEGO allows you to do just that. Give it a try, as others have said.

5 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

Maybe you will find something useful in this thread...dealing with a related topic...

This is why and I repeat a possibility to have differents squads in differents colour will be helpfull ...but I know these these have already be asking and...will not change the result...(is only good to remind it) 🤔 other soluce is the mode pause !!

I used to play Real Time only. I actually didn't like We-Go, during my first two CM games.

Now, I have some advice, based on what I used to do. Is it the best way to do it? Probably not.

a. Try to spread out your infantry as far as possible. Blobs are vulnerable to mortars and MGs.

b. Try to keep squads close to their platoons and platoons close to their companies. This is invaluable for radio-lacking armies.

c. Try to keep your platoons and companies in distinct pattern formations. For example, for a platoon, 3 squads at the front row, HQ and mortar in the back row. For a company, have three rifle platoons in the front row, weapon platoon in the middle row and HQ at the back.

d. Double click on HQ (platoon or company), which selects all units and you can order them all at once. Move is good for getting a formation through relatively safe ground and Hunt is good for dangerous areas.

This will help you visually separate company from company, and platoon from platoon. Hopefully, it will let you give orders to your units with as little clicks as possible. Keep in mind, while such rigid abstraction can save you time, it may be a bit inflexible (almost Napoleonic).

Now, I play We-Go exclusively and generally micro manage each unit. That's the way to get the most out of your units, especially in campaigns where units carry over. However, play the game the way you enjoy!

Use realistic tactick! For example, set Soviet infantry in line. Then select company and give fast command to location 50 m ahead. Wait, give orders to supress hmgs. Then another rush for 50m. Then use assault or slow command.

Another way - to use narrow and deep formations. 1 platoon in 1-st echelone, others are in reserve or are screening flanks.