AFV Show & Tell

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

What did American do to all design ideas late war? Cast them instead of welded and added a turret bustle as a counterweight.

I have the impression that the bustle may have been more than just a counterweight. I think radio gear may have been situated there. It also may have provided storage for ready rounds as well as providing space for main gun recoil. All this is admittedly guesswork on my part as I have not made a close study of early postwar designs. For that matter, I have not found an abundance of printed matter that goes deeply into the subject.

Michael

7 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I have the impression that the bustle may have been more than just a counterweight. I think radio gear may have been situated there. It also may have provided storage for ready rounds as well as providing space for main gun recoil. All this is admittedly guesswork on my part as I have not made a close study of early postwar designs. For that matter, I have not found an abundance of printed matter that goes deeply into the subject.

Michael

A lot was for counter-weight to the weapon for overall turret balance. A solid bustle would have been...overkill. They were used to house radios and some other storage. (The US learned the value of this from the Brits. Early M4/M5 US tanks had no bustle. The Brits had them...and used them.) If the weapon recoiled into the bustle, the elevation would be very limited. (The trunnion mount to bustle distance would show the limits.)