AFV Show & Tell

On 4/11/2018 at 1:07 AM, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Gotta love a Sherman with a 105

9358101128_43cdca2db2_m.jpg

I pity the 3 crewmen that are stuck in that tiny turret with the breach and munitions. Sherman's probably my favourite tank of the war, especially the ones with cast hulls. Really shows off their sweet, sweet, curves.

M3A11.jpg

I REALLY dig this design. A real american monster, massive silhouette, 7 crew, 2 cannons and 4 MGs. Enough to make Orks green with envy. Despite a limited production run, it served in the deserts, the arctics and the jungles.

53 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

M3A11.jpg

I REALLY dig this design. A real american monster, massive silhouette, 7 crew, 2 cannons and 4 MGs. Enough to make Orks green with envy. Despite a limited production run, it served in the deserts, the arctics and the jungles.

Yes.  This is a cool tank for its time.  Hope to see them in CM someday. 

I guess they have the M48? 

I’ve not looked at Tamiya online but model kits definitely seem to be so much rarer than when I was a kid. The ones I see are for the most part so much simpler than what I had too. Toys more than models, often snap together. 

Mind you the other day I saw a model I made eons ago: USS Arizona. Still love that one. :)

Edited by Bud Backer

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:07 AM, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Gotta love a Sherman with a 105

9358101128_43cdca2db2_m.jpg

Now there's a pretty thing...

4 minutes ago, c3k said:

Ahh...models. Ships, planes, tanks: I had them all. I -also- had a BB gun. Oh, there were battles. Big, destructive battles. I also had a lighter. Burning wrecks, pieces flying off, GLORY!

Now, I don't have any more models left.

:)

^ Same here. My very first experiment in burning something came at the expense of a B-17G model I had lit on fire, for an authentic crash scene.
My mom didn't care about my arguments in favor of, "But it's more realistic this way!" That thing had been EXPENSIVE.
Of course, far be it for a nine-year-old to understand the concept of money...

Anyway, here's my entry for the thread, one of my favorite tanks:

That thing just screams, "TANK!"

Edited by General Jack Ripper

39 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

I guess they have the M48? 

Yeah but only one kit (in several boxings) and you need to replace the entire running gear.....I'm building one right now as it goes (202128 - 3rd vehicle, 2nd platoon, Charlie Co. ('Death Dealers') 1st USMC Tank Battalion.  Vietnam 1969).

PS - Here's what a decent high end 1/72 kit looks like these days (before the paint):

0002129_bmp3-infantry-fighting-vehicle-w

No aftermarket parts whatsoever on that one.....All out of the box (for $25 US)!  :o

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've got a soft spot for the M47 Patton:

800px-M47_Patton(_Jeff_Kubina).jpg

Probably because it's one of the few things I can't get a kit of in 1/72.  :(

I always liked the hull-mg on this one.

Can someone more versed in USSR vehicles please tell me what this is supposed to be?

zis-41-07.jpg

12 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Andy,

While I was amazed to see that tank show up, I much prefer to see this film.

DerKommissar,

A beautifully restored tank, but where is it located, please? If ex-APG, then I guarantee you it's been rendered permanently nonfunctional.

Regards,

John Kettler

This M3A1 Lee is from the United States Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. My hypothesis is that it was recently repainted to the "LuLu Bell" (weird name for a tank, what does that even mean?), because there's pictures of an unpainted M3A1 from the same museum:

M3A1.jpg