New AFRIKA KORPS game

Erwin

It's only $40.  But, am not into top down essentially "computerized cardboard" tactical or operational wargames any more. 

I play Grigsby's massive strategic WITPAE top down game as it is a completely different animal to tactical or operational.

Edited by Erwin

On 3/23/2018 at 8:36 AM, rocketman said:

It is on my wishlist. I like the WEGO approach and am curious how that sets it apart from a traditional hex based game. Anyone who buys it - please drop a few lines here about it.

I like this game.  Here's my review.  http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/game-review/review-desert-war-1940-1942-from-matrix-games/

13 hours ago, Erwin said:

Don't think I can go back to cardboard wargame-like counters for a tactical/operational game any longer.  Hate those stacks.  :unsure:

Well, don‘t restrict yourself too much. I just started playing “Panzer Corps” and find it quite, eh, entertaining.

And face to face, there’s gaming wise nothing better than a good old fashioned board game anyway.

Though, I never liked “stacking monsters” like WiF.

Edited by StieliAlpha

Can't get into Pz Corps for similar reasons.  I loved top down games like Steel Panthers and Close Combat in their day.  But when CM1 came out, nothing else (other than CM2 of course) has come close in 20 years.  I like Grigsby's massive WITPAE as a top down.  But that is grand strategy and top down is completely appropriate.  Plus it feels realistic.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Same here.

The only tile type game I play is Srategic Command, I like the elegance of the system, it's intuitive, but subtle. 

Re CM, I fully agree. Unfortunately, there is no operational or strategic level CM. Sadly the last serious operational level attempt was dropped years ago.

And again, playing FTF on a board is a very  different experience.

I must admit, even after more than 40 years, I love to try and experience new board game systems. Unfortunately, nowadays, I don’t come close to master any of them anymore.

MOS's new design for a CMBS TOC scenario (see CMBS forums) finally approaches giving us a virtual operational layer to CM2 with "real time INTEL" requiring players to adjust plans and allocate assets and resources on the fly. 

After so many years of playing CM2 all scenarios started to feel the same to me.  So, MOS's innovative ideas are very welcome and have revived my passion for playing CMBS.  Hope that other designers are inspired to use his brilliant ideas in the other game families to get more out of the CM2 system.

• 3 weeks later...