US Drone Defense

Sure, it looks cool. But wouldn't it be more fun to have the USAF deploy squadrons of remote-controlled aircraft and perform mini-fighter sweeps? I mean, we could enlist model makers to create fleets of P-51s or something, arm 'em with .22s (or even BBs and compressed air), then send 'em aloft.

(Sorry. Got carried away there. Thankfully, I refrained from mentioning my idea for creating sub-scale F-35s and finding midgets (dwarfs? WTF is the PC term these days? Little people?) to fly them.)

(Oops. That slipped out.)

In a serious vein, yeah, there's got to be a quick, inexpensive, way to knock down the cheap drones.

First, you've got to know a drone is there. 

2nd, you've got to identify it (is it a friend or foe?)

3rd, determine if it is a threat. (Hey, if it's over THERE, do I need to jam it, shoot it down, or otherwise degrade it?)

4th, deal with it. (Laser? Zaaap!)

5th, find out where it came from and kill everyone involved in its launch and data collection/dissemination. 

The article gives a system which takes care of step 4. A second or two (or less?) of laser dwell time should knock out most consumer-grade drones. The rest of the steps need to be addressed.

Of course, repeating step 4 endlessly does not solve the problem of enemy intel/recce activity. (And harassment.) Step 5 is what will take care of that. Maybe you want that one drone to continue to transmit data/receive commands while you geo-locate the launch system/command system?