Motorized Squads

Guest Pershing Predator

Guest Pershing Predator

I'm relatively new to CM, and while i've figured out what most of the special weapons or squads do in the game, one still perplexes me. What in the world makes a motorized squad different? I've asked this question a few times in chats and gotten vague answers so I'm posting it. What makes them different? Does anyone know?

Guest KwazyDog

My guess would be that a mech platoon with its HT's is designed to keep up with armoured formations cross country where the motorized units cant go.

I guess all troops couldnt be equiped with HT's becuase of the costs involved.

Guest Big Time Software

Motorized squads are, often, larger than those in armored units. Generally 1-2 men larger, because the capacity of a truck is greater.

Jeff, motorized transport was simply a way to get the troops from A to B, not advance into combat like HTs. In fact, towards the end of the war many motorized units of the German Army didn't even have enough trucks, so there would be one central pool that would ferry guys from point A to B. But it is basically the point about trucks (by default) not going into combat which led to our decision to not include them (by default).

Steve

Guest Pershing Predator

Finally, that makes some sense. But even still, I still hope that a change can be made so that a motorized squad will have some sort of vehicle to get them from place to place, even if the trucks would normally be kept away from combat. That just makes more sense to me.

[This message has been edited by Pershing Predator (edited 08-30-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pershing Predator:

I still hope that a change can be made so that a motorized squad will have some sort of vehicle to get them from place to place.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The solution is simple; just get some trucks for them.

I think that leaving the trucks out per default is the way to go, currently, since there is no way to get rid of individual organic units (squad/team/vehicle) without dumping the entire parental unit (platoon/company/battalion).

I wouldn't mind having the transports left out by default for armoured units as well.

BTW, why aren't there any allied armoured infantry in the game?

Cheers

Olle

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 08-30-2000).]

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Aussie Smith:

[QB]I've wondered the same thing.

W/- my game handy - are the points cost for Mech Inf different to regular Inf?

You can check it out yourself but...YES the Motorized and "Armored" Panzergrenadier squads are more expensive...because they have better weapons than Rifle Squads...more LMGs, SMG, assault rifles (MP44s).