Pacific in WW II

CM Series needs an Island hopping Pacific Campaign.  U.S. vs Japan.

Nimitz in the Central Pacific and MacArthur in the Western Pacific.

So many aspects which are different from war with Germany.

Allies-Geography/Terrain-Order of Battle.

Thanks for the Consideration 

W.W. Carroll

CPO USN/USCG Retired

I concur. It's a really popular theatre, and there's no CM involving the Japanese. I'd also be interested in the Second Sino-Japanese war, British campaigns in Burma, Khalkin Gol or Manchuria, perhaps?  Generally CM is made for the American audience, as most media is. That's fine, as much as I'd love a Canadian centered game set in Hong Kong (xD).

That being said, I saw on some thread that Battlefield isn't interested in the Far East/Pacific.

I always thought Vietnam would be pretty cool as well in a game like this. You have a lot of different units and factions and toys to play with, from US forces to ARVN and then PAVN and NLF. Maybe even throw the French in there as well. Lots of weapons, from WW2 stuff to '60s and '70s Cold War stuff. You have good variety in terrain, with jungles, forests, flat coastal plains, open fields and rice paddies, and the central highlands. You've got mountains, river deltas, villages, firebases, towns and cities. It was a really long and complicated war with a lot of savage battles and long campaigns with high casualties on both sides. So it's fertile ground for wargaming I think. 

2 hours ago, Bozowans said:

I always thought Vietnam would be pretty cool as well in a game like this. You have a lot of different units and factions and toys to play with, from US forces to ARVN and then PAVN and NLF. Maybe even throw the French in there as well. Lots of weapons, from WW2 stuff to '60s and '70s Cold War stuff. You have good variety in terrain, with jungles, forests, flat coastal plains, open fields and rice paddies, and the central highlands. You've got mountains, river deltas, villages, firebases, towns and cities. It was a really long and complicated war with a lot of savage battles and long campaigns with high casualties on both sides. So it's fertile ground for wargaming I think. 

I know its a niche within a niche game, but I would pay big bucks for a Viet Nam CM.Talk about the devs recharging their batteries, It would have to include VC tunnels and tunnel movement,NVA, Hueys helicopters visually represented on ground and in the air,Napalm, booby traps , civilians, rice paddies, thick jungle terrain,River boats, M48 Patton tanks and on and on,it would be awsome, Ive always been fascinated with the Viet Nam war, even though its a sour topic in this country.

1 hour ago, weapon2010 said:

I know its a niche within a niche game, but I would pay big bucks for a Viet Nam CM.Talk about the devs recharging their batteries, It would have to include VC tunnels and tunnel movement,NVA, Hueys helicopters visually represented on ground and in the air,Napalm, booby traps , civilians, rice paddies, thick jungle terrain,River boats, M48 Patton tanks and on and on,it would be awsome, Ive always been fascinated with the Viet Nam war, even though its a sour topic in this country.

Yeah I agree 100%. It would be pretty awesome to see a bunch of Hueys flying in, bullets pinging off of their sides as they drop troops into a hot LZ. Or how about commanding a battalion of ARVN troops with M41 tanks as they advance across terrain blasted into a moonscape by B-52s? The battles would certainly be a lot more evenly matched than in Shock Force, as the North Vietnamese were tough opponents, competently led and sometimes able to outright defeat the US in open battle, like : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ong_Thanh

I don't expect to ever see a CM game cover that but maybe years from now there will be a good realistic CM-style or maybe Graviteam-style game that does. There have been plenty of popular Vietnam games over the years, so I don't think it's too much of a niche.

"...a bunch of Hueys flying in, bullets pinging off of their sides as they drop troops into a hot LZ." 

The very existence of aircraft that fly would make this a different game from the CM series.   However, I would love to see aircraft as flavor objects in all CM2 games.

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

The very existence of aircraft that fly would make this a different game from the CM series.

Has anyone tried modding in visible aircraft?

Yeah, the famous hot drop scenes from such films as Platoon, Apocalypse Now and Hamburger Hill would be impossible.

But then again, Afghanistan happened, and it had none of such things.

Combat Mission: Korean War could be fun -- like a proper Theatre of War 3 (remember /that/?).

I would like to see all sorts of things in a game as well.  I love eye candy and wish there were far more flavor objects in the games. 

However, we have to realize that aircraft skimming over maps, dropping paratroopers, landing and disgorging troops etc. are all merely eye candy and can be simulated in the game by reinforcements turning up (with possible casualties/MIA's) and the current abstract air power simulation system. 

It's like wanting a Pacific Theatre CM and then also wanting ships and carriers and landing craft and... 

2 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Combat Mission: Korean War could be fun -- like a proper Theatre of War 3 (remember /that/?).

A Korean War Combat Mission would be great. Mountainous terrain like CM:FI and US WW2 TO&E and doctrine vs. Soviet TO&E and doctrine. Of course, it would be best if it only covered the first 8 months of the war before it degenerated into a stalemate.

2 hours ago, Bearstronaut said:

A Korean War Combat Mission would be great. Mountainous terrain like CM:FI and US WW2 TO&E and doctrine vs. Soviet TO&E and doctrine. Of course, it would be best if it only covered the first 8 months of the war before it degenerated into a stalemate.

Aye, first 8 months would be a good tight window. Lots of unique factions, too. Not just NK and US, but also PLA, GB, Canada, Australia, etc. Lots of room for DLC. Maybe winter stuff for 1951?

20 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Aye, first 8 months would be a good tight window. Lots of unique factions, too. Not just NK and US, but also PLA, GB, Canada, Australia, etc. Lots of room for DLC. Maybe winter stuff for 1951?

I would love to play a scenario about the ROKA 6th ID defending Chuncheon. Or a campaign about the KPA 105th Armored Division against the US 24th ID at Taejon. Or a campaign about the Marines trying to escape destruction at Chosin. The Korean War is a fascinating conflict. It really is a forgotten war in western countries. I spent hours exploring the Korean War museum in Seoul when I was stationed in Korea. Probably one of the best museums I have ever been to.

52 minutes ago, Bearstronaut said:

I would love to play a scenario about the ROKA 6th ID defending Chuncheon. Or a campaign about the KPA 105th Armored Division against the US 24th ID at Taejon. Or a campaign about the Marines trying to escape destruction at Chosin. The Korean War is a fascinating conflict. It really is a forgotten war in western countries. I spent hours exploring the Korean War museum in Seoul when I was stationed in Korea. Probably one of the best museums I have ever been to.

There'll /have/ to be a Chosin campaign. I'd also want an Operation Killer campaign. It is a forgotten war, though. I guess that is because it's one of those status-quo wars. I'd think a lot of media would try to avoid the controversy. It's /too/ relevant. Was Type-95 used by the ROKA? Or any other Japanese tanks at the museum?

16 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

There'll /have/ to be a Chosin campaign. I'd also want an Operation Killer campaign. It is a forgotten war, though. I guess that is because it's one of those status-quo wars. I'd think a lot of media would try to avoid the controversy. It's /too/ relevant. Was Type-95 used by the ROKA? Or any other Japanese tanks at the museum?

Yeah, the Korean War would probably be more memorable in the west if it hadn't ended with pretty much the same borders as before the war. Blame MacArthur and his idiotic race to the Yalu for that. As to the Type-95, I don't recall any Japanese armor at the museum. I very much doubt that the ROKA had any old Japanese tanks. The ROKA had pretty much no armor and very little artillery before June 25th. KMAG didn't want President Rhee to use such material to invade North Korea.

21 hours ago, Bearstronaut said:

Yeah, the Korean War would probably be more memorable in the west if it hadn't ended with pretty much the same borders as before the war. Blame MacArthur and his idiotic race to the Yalu for that. As to the Type-95, I don't recall any Japanese armor at the museum. I very much doubt that the ROKA had any old Japanese tanks. The ROKA had pretty much no armor and very little artillery before June 25th. KMAG didn't want President Rhee to use such material to invade North Korea.

I can imagine the unresolved issues of the Korean war, that still linger to this day, make it a much less compelling narrative than "The Great Crusade" of WW2. I suppose the tales of Japanese WW2 armour in ROKA service is just a myth. Ironically enough, the Korean war jump-started the Japanese industry. Right after the Armistice, the JSDF was born.

Edited by DerKommissar

On 19.3.2018 at 4:30 PM, chief809 said:

CM Series needs an Island hopping Pacific Campaign.  U.S. vs Japan.

Nimitz in the Central Pacific and MacArthur in the Western Pacific.

So many aspects which are different from war with Germany.

Allies-Geography/Terrain-Order of Battle.

Thanks for the Consideration 

W.W. Carroll

CPO USN/USCG Retired

Perhaps a little of topic, but did you consider „Combat Comander Pacific“ on Vassal?

No CM, I agree, but very similar scale.