Test indicates C2 contact sharing is broken when enemy moves

Summary:

Units share information on the location of enemy units through radio.

But if those enemy units then move, their new location is never updated through C2 - even though friendly platoon HQ is actively spotting the enemy.

Test:

I set up a test playing against myself in hotseat mode.

I had 5 Panthers separated from 1 Sherman by a ridge so no unit could see the other side.

The Sherman started on the left.

First I took 1 Panther up to the hill, and it spotted the Sherman.

The contact info about the Sherman's location was correctly shared to Platoon HQ by radio from there to the rest of the platoon. Soon all the Panthers had the location of the Sherman.

I reversed the Panther again so that no Panthers could spot the Sherman.

Then I drove the Sherman to the right side. All the Panthers still believed it was on the left.

Then I moved the Panther HQ up to take a look. It spotted the Sherman in its new location.

However, this updated location was never shared with the other Panthers through radio. They stil kept the old contact marker on the left, even though the Sherman is now sitting on the right.

I let more than 15 minutes pass, and the updated info was never shared through C2.

But the Panthers did get a solid colour contact marker for the Sherman, showing that they kept getting updates from HQ about the enemy unit's existence. (if no updated info about a contact is received, the contact marker will fade and become translucent as time goes by)

Panther HQ actively spotting Sherman in new location:

GfG2wZc.jpg

The rest of the Panthers' contact markers remain on the old location:

QTlov2C.jpg

Wx13wwK.jpg

T5o8I5N.jpg

2IyF7yg.jpg

I did another test, to see if the platoon intel sharing works by consensus. It doesn't:

I had 4 out of 5 panthers actively spot the Sherman in its new location. Then I reversed them again so nobody could see anything.

The four panthers now had the updated contact location for the Sherman.

But the last panther still had the contact marker in the old location and it did not update it, even though the rest of its platoon now had the correct info.

noticed and tested this back in november, yes it is the case when passed through visual also, its also the case for friendly contact information in iron mode

the age of the contact is being updated but not the location

it also seemed to be the reason you sometimes see contact icons darting between different locations when no units are selected

but I've presumed its just an user interface problem and that behind the scenes the units are aware about the new location improving the spotting time anyway

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:11 AM, Oliver_88 said:

Yeah I read that some people liked to use iron because they could get an sense upon what the section knows about the battle, but when I first tried the mode did seem somewhat cluttered and I could not make sense upon what I was seeing, so not used since, but think could be useful if I can understand it which is why I am interested in knowing this. I've just been mucking about with it right now, and you stated it surprised you and seemed odd, and well am going to echo that

I've made an dead simple map (my first try with scenario editor too ha) with an large wall like terrain elevation going down right down the middle, this terrain elevation stops near the north to make an "gateway" between the two sides, on the left side I have B Company HQ, 1 Platoon HQ, and 2 Section, on the right side I have 3 Section. So everyone is in the same company. B Company HQ, 1 Platoon HQ and 2 Section cannot see 3 Section.

I ran 2 Section through the "gateway" and next to 3 Section. 3 Section shortly received contact markers for B Company HQ and 1 Platoon HQ. I ran 2 Section back through the "gateway" to Voice C2 with 1 Platoon HQ and yep 1 Platoon HQ then had contact markers for 3 Section. Also to note was that 1 Platoon HQ was in Radio C2 with B Company HQ whom shortly later also had contact markers for 3 Section too. So at this point everyone knows where each other are and seemed to show that friendly dispositions could be passed within the Battalion. However I then repeated this process after having moved 3 Section to an new position. I must have ran for about 15 turns and 1 Platoon HQ never received contact markers for 3 Sections new position, just the old one. So kinda seemed like they would provide information about friendly dispositions between units within the battalion, though just the first report would be accepted, after that they would disregard any reports and only trust what they see.

Might download some fraps so I can take screenshots at some time.

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:15 PM, Oliver_88 said:

Scratch that I just noticed that they are not disregarding everything about later information. Each time I am sending 2 Section to 1 Platoon HQ to vertical report about 3 Sections new position although the location of the contact is not updating, the age of the contact is updating heh. And then same thing with 1 Platoon HQ vertical reporting over radio to B Company HQ.  So some vertical reporting and horizontal sharing of friendly information within the battalion does seem to be going on from what I can see. And also put down another Company HQ and Platoon HQ, from another battalion, and other than the information being shared horizontally by 2 Section seems no different.

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:25 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

Yep, I got the same thing.  All tentative contacts fade as they get older.  If they are updated they will become brighter and then begin to fade again.  I've never tested it but they probably fade away until they disappear entirely if not updated.  

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, Oliver_88 said:

I was going to query (with apologies for doing so) whether what we are seeing was working as intended. As seemed an little strange to me that units being shared friendly information would only share (graphically at least) the age of contact and not the position. But never mind as I see this works in the same manner for enemy contacts (in both iron and elite) as just the age of contact is being shared not the position. Or maybe should still be querying? Without an unit selected the contacts seem to be shown to me as whatever was most recently seen/reported/shared. Difficult to know who to trust huh. :)

I've attached the scenario that I am testing with. There's an four zones in the north, with an enemy truck in the first one, and you have three buildings that when you put an unit into cause the truck to leave those zones and move onto the next one. Send 3 Section to "Vantage Point" to get them to see which zone the truck is currently in. Move 2 Section around to the same side as 3 Section. Have 3 Section leave the "Vantage Point". Make the two sections meet to share the information. Have 2 Section go back around and share the information to their HQ, meanwhile send 3 Section into the required building to make the truck move zones. Repeat the process and see what changes for the big picture and each units picture.

Edited by Oliver_88

5 hours ago, Oliver_88 said:

noticed and tested this back in november, yes it is the case when passed through visual also, its also the case for friendly contact information in iron mode

the age of the contact is being updated but not the location

From reading the old thread, it doesn't seem like anyone back then really understood that you had noticed a problem. I hope someone will notice it this time.

Thank you guys for testing this and reporting the problem.   Can one of the beta testers comment on whether or not this issue will be fixed in the next patch (assuming there will be a patch}?

Also, wouldn't it be helpful if the game showed whether or not a contact is from sound or visual?   For example, have different icons for sound/contact/both.

1 hour ago, Chops said:

Also, wouldn't it be helpful if the game showed whether or not a contact is from sound or visual?   For example, have different icons for sound/contact/both.

Not sure this would be really helpful though. A contact is a contact, no matter how it was picked up..