Finally committed

5 hours ago, Mugendo said:

and very pleased to find a welcoming, and sometimes critical community who strive to push the game series forward through 'polite requests' to the small team who make it all possible. 

Critical? Where did you get THAT idea? xD

From a newer CM player -- welcome!

FI is a great pick, and my favourite. I started with BS... rough start. xD

Edited by DerKommissar

CMFI is my favourite of all the CM titles. There are so many unique units and vehicles, I love to setup qb's with oddball units and just have fun. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new Rome to Victory module, can't wait to play a battle or two with the First Special Service Force.

Welcome to the community and try not to get too addicted to the games. 

7 hours ago, Mugendo said:

I downloaded the Demo of CMBFN, and was impressed. All the fun of the original ...erm...with the same graphics ??!!!!....erm...the same graphics ??!!...really.... :o 

Ok. I don't know if I misunderstood, or you were joking, but I gotta take exception with that one.

CMBB pic.

CMBB.jpg

Same sorta pic from Red Thunder.

Red_Thunder.jpg

Mord.

3 minutes ago, Mord said:

Ok. I don't know if I misunderstood, or you were joking, but I gotta take exception with that one.

Great example shots BTW.

I think what happened is memory. We think of our memory as a video recording but it really is not. Playing the old games we felt immersed in the story and overlooked the limitations of the graphics. Ne we imagined the game looking even better in our memory. So, looking at the new ones years away from actually playing the old ones we remember them better than they were and compare that memory to what we are seeing. Also to be fair the infantry models in CMSF are not quite as good as the ones in CMBN (and follow on titles).

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Great example shots BTW.

I think what happened is memory. We think of our memory as a video recording but it really is not. Playing the old games we felt immersed in the story and overlooked the limitations of the graphics. Ne we imagined the game looking even better in our memory. So, looking at the new ones years away from actually playing the old ones we remember them better than they were and compare that memory to what we are seeing. Also to be fair the infantry models in CMSF are not quite as good as the ones in CMBN (and follow on titles).

This explains and clarifies :) ...Those rose tinted glasses do make comparisons from memory alone impossible.

9 hours ago, Mugendo said:

until I actually looked at the original and compared it with the current game engine.....and I saw.....Combat Mission had also jumped ahead light years in development.

I am very impressed with both the game engine improvements overall, Just been playing the trainer campaigns and thoroughly enjoying the progressive hand  holding to independence of them.

21 minutes ago, Mugendo said:

until I actually looked at the original and compared it with the current game engine.....and I saw.....Combat Mission had also jumped ahead light years in development.

Ahh, ok, that's what threw me off. I didn't take "development" to mean graphics. I figured you were talking game features.

8 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Funny how the birch tree's bark looks better in CMRT but, the leaves looked better in CMBB.

I find the pines to be more piney in CMx1. But over all, CMx2's trees are waaay better. Much more variety too. In the old games, IRC, trees were chosen by the ground tile; the heavy forest tile was pine and light was deciduous. You couldn't place trees without a forest tile.

Mord.

While CM2 is truly wonderful at level 1, my understanding is that most players play from level 3 and higher - some even using the top-down 6+ levels.  From those higher levels a well-modded CM1 compares quite well to CM2.  That was what I thought the poster was referring to.

Yeah, I use all the levels when plotting moves and stuff. I use level one for good action moments and examining the terrain when looking for just the right spot to put a tank or team. There was a time when I could still deal with CMX1 but the graphics are just too dated for me. The few things left that it has over CM2 just don't cut it for me. I think what kills it for me the most though, is the infantry fidelity. I spent so much time wishing for 1:1, now that I have it I can't go back.

Mord.