How to Start a Game!

From the sounds of it things are actually OK. Send the files a couple of more times. The first turn is always a password set only. And in quick battles sometimes you just get to pick forces and not setup. There is also a scenario where you feel like you skip a turn at the start - it has to do with early Intel settings.

Once the game is setup and going every turn will be the same - watch a minute, give orders for the next minute.

3 hours ago, Zugzwang919 said:

With another person. He has just said  that when he started the file it never opened and went straight to send. 

Neither of us has played CMBN much; me not at all.

He will resend and I will try again. Will keep you posted.

Refer to Ian‘s answer. Especially when you are „the second player“, your first turn is just to enter your password. Don‘t worry and just carry on. After two or three exchanges, you should come to the set-up and then to the first turn. Be careful, not to press the red button too early. That one brings you directly to the end of the turn and creates a new save game file.

I admit, I was confused too, when I tried PBEM for the first time and nothing seemed to happen.

OK; my opponent has sent me his first move via email instead of depositing it in Dropbox.

I saved it to the Incoming Email folder.

I then started the  game and selected the first move.

I am asked for a password so I enter one and I'm told that it's incorrect. I do this five times and each time get a message telling me my password is incorrect.

How do people ever play this game?

4 hours ago, Zugzwang919 said:

OK; my opponent has sent me his first move via email instead of depositing it in Dropbox.

I am asked for a password so I enter one and I'm told that it's incorrect. I do this five times and each time get a message telling me my password is incorrect.

Sounds like you are having a hard time, indeed.

Let‘s assume your opponent starts a match. Then the procedure would be:

1) He selects Scenario, Difficulty and side, enters his password, saves the file and sends it to you. Mail or Dropbox does not matter:

2) You receive the file, move it to your inbox, start it from „saved game“. Then you should be asked to set YOUR password (Important: The password is “Caps Lock” sensitive). The file is saved (should be number 2 now) and you return the NEW file from the Outbox to your opponent.

3) Your opponent receives it, copies it to his Inbox, starts the game from „saved games“ and enters HIS password. Then he should be in the set-up phase. After set-up, he presses the red button, waits until the file is saved and returns the new file from his Outbox to you.

4) You receive the file (should now be number 4), put it to your Inbox, start the scenario, enter YOUR password and now it’s your set-up phase. Remember, in the set-up phase, you can set-up, give first movement orders and plot first artillery strikes (if you have off-board arty). When you are done, press the red button and return the new file to your opponent.

5) Now it should be his time for the first regular turn.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by StieliAlpha

12 hours ago, Zugzwang919 said:

@StieliAlpha has outlined the procedure and expectations. I have encountered what you experienced for two reasons:

1. My opponent has sent you his turn file instead of the one he generated for you. Unless you are doing a rare blue on blue or red on red scenario the flag or symbol for the country you are playing should be there next to the password box. If the flag is not the side you expect then your opponent sent you the wrong file or,
  2. I miss typed my password when I created it. Oh man that sucks but I have done it before. Once I was able to figure out what I had done by purposefully tweaking the capitalization and dropping letters but several times I have had no luck and been forced to start again.

Manually copying files is error prone using a turn manager and drop box is a much better way to go. Once you get past what ever problem this is check out this thread on using turn managers to deal with the file copying problem:

4 hours ago, IanL said:

@StieliAlpha has outlined the procedure and expectations. I have encountered what you experienced for two reasons:

1. My opponent has sent you his turn file instead of the one he generated for you. Unless you are doing a rare blue on blue or red on red scenario the flag or symbol for the country you are playing should be there next to the password box. If the flag is not the side you expect then your opponent sent you the wrong file or,
  2. I miss typed my password when I created it. Oh man that sucks but I have done it before. Once I was able to figure out what I had done by purposefully tweaking the capitalization and dropping letters but several times I have had no luck and been forced to start again.

Manually copying files is error prone using a turn manager and drop box is a much better way to go. Once you get past what ever problem this is check out this thread on using turn managers to deal with the file copying problem:

Thanks, mate.

Some more comments from my side:

- Re sending a wrong file: Yes, that happens. My personal indicator is the file number. If I play the second player, my files are the even numbers. Sorry for being a number oriented engineer. 😎

- mistyping: I always use the same password. That helps.🤔 But, yes, that‘s why I emphazied the Caps Lock.

- I still handle up to six games manually. And it works. Most of the time...

36 minutes ago, Zugzwang919 said:

Thanks for all the help!

I think we are getting there.

Again: Good luck, my friend.

Agree, it may not look easy. but CM is more than worth the  effort. With dozens of PBEM matches under my belt.In fact, I rarely play against AI. I am playing since 1999 and still found no better alternative.

Apologize for mediocre engineers speech. 😎

I am still stuck.

From the CMNB manual:

1. You pick a Game and are prompted to create a password. This creates Game
file 01 which is stored as an Outgoing file. You will find this file in CM:BN/
Games File/Outgoing Email. You send this to your partner
2. Your Partner (THIS IS ME) gets the 01 file and saves it in his Incoming Email Folder.
3. He (THIS IS ME)  starts game and finds file 01 in the Saved Game portion of the Opening
menu.
4. Partner (THIS IS ME) puts in password (THIS IS WHERE I ALWAYS GET STUCK. ) and a new file 02 will be generated to be sent to
you.
Today my opponent sent me another game via Dropbox. 
Using CM Helper, I launched the game. All going well until it asks for a password: I enter and I keep getting the same message: ***INCORRECT PASSWORD: Please try again.***

Because I am unable to enter a password, I cannot generate a file to send to my opponent. 

Right.  If you start the game, you create file 001.  It is a password only file.  You send file 001 to your opponent and he creates file 002 which only creates a password protected file which your opponent sends back to you.  Nothing will happen until you receive his file 002 back.  Moving file 002 to Incoming Email and opening as a saved game will then require you to enter your valid password.  This is the file you use for your actual set up and first game turn movement plotting.  Click the Big Red Button to create file 003 which you send back to him.  Rinse and repeat.  Your create odd numbered sequential files that you send to him.  He creates even numbered sequential turn files that he sends back to you.

If the problem persists, try again without entering a password on your first turn.  The game allows you to do so.  If that works, then the original problem is truly "Incorrect" password on your part.  Passwords are English keyboard upper/lower case sensitive alphabetic and number values.

Edited by Badger73

13 hours ago, Zugzwang919 said:

I am still stuck.

From the CMNB manual:

1. You pick a Game and are prompted to create a password. This creates Game
file 01 which is stored as an Outgoing file. You will find this file in CM:BN/
Games File/Outgoing Email. You send this to your partner
2. Your Partner (THIS IS ME) gets the 01 file and saves it in his Incoming Email Folder.
3. He (THIS IS ME)  starts game and finds file 01 in the Saved Game portion of the Opening
menu.
4. Partner (THIS IS ME) puts in password (THIS IS WHERE I ALWAYS GET STUCK. ) and a new file 02 will be generated to be sent to
you.
Today my opponent sent me another game via Dropbox. 
Using CM Helper, I launched the game. All going well until it asks for a password: I enter and I keep getting the same message: ***INCORRECT PASSWORD: Please try again.***

Because I am unable to enter a password, I cannot generate a file to send to my opponent. 

Hi Zugzwang

let‘s try to set up TWO games with me. One you start, the other one I start and let‘s see what happens.

PM me your mail Adress to get started. Unlike Ian, I don‘t have have hundreds of Games experience, but a hundred may well be. 😎

I have solved my problem. I wasn't saving the incoming files correctly from Dropbox correctly.

I started to use CM Helper and I was still having problems. I would save the game and then it would not be in the Incoming email folder.

When I looked at Dropbox, it appeared that there was a folder for each of the three games we'd started. But in reality, the moves were all in the initial folder I'd created for CMNB.

I made the correction and just opened the first move of the first game I'd been unable to start and easily entered a password and sent the game back to my opponent.

Thanks for the invitations to other games; I will wait until I get my first one completed!!!

1 hour ago, Zugzwang919 said:

I have solved my problem. I wasn't saving the incoming files correctly from Dropbox correctly.

I started to use CM Helper and I was still having problems. I would save the game and then it would not be in the Incoming email folder.

When I looked at Dropbox, it appeared that there was a folder for each of the three games we'd started. But in reality, the moves were all in the initial folder I'd created for CMNB.

I made the correction and just opened the first move of the first game I'd been unable to start and easily entered a password and sent the game back to my opponent.

Thanks for the invitations to other games; I will wait until I get my first one completed!!!

Very well. I just thought it might be a way to find out what your issue is.

My suggestion: Forget the CM Helper. Unless you have many games ongoing, you don‘t need it.

And now: Have fun!

Welcome aboard, ZugZug...Yes, and as soon as your ready to play against a Very Green PBEM Opponent, then PM as I'm up for some more Fresh Meat...err, I mean a Challenge...Experienced Players not Welcome.

Promise, I Don't Bit, Much :-)

14 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

Welcome aboard, ZugZug...Yes, and as soon as your ready to play against a Very Green PBEM Opponent, then PM as I'm up for some more Fresh Meat...err, I mean a Challenge...Experienced Players not Welcome.

Promise, I Don't Bit, Much :-)

Then after completing your initial hazing ritual, err, kind introduction to H2H play, check out The Few Good Men for other opponents to play as well - http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/

20 hours ago, Zugzwang919 said:

Thanks!

I see that CM Helper is not really necessary but I will try it for a bit, until I get my sea legs!

Sea legs? You are aware, that you are not playing „ Wooden Ships“ or some other Naval Game? „Trench Foot“ is the name of the game! 😎

Edited by StieliAlpha

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, Badger73 said:

Then after completing your initial hazing ritual, err, kind introduction to H2H play, check out The Few Good Men for other opponents to play as well - http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/

Damn You to H, and back...My plan has been Foiled again by Badgerof73 :-(

Edited by JoMc67

22 hours ago, Badger73 said:

No, not at all.  Your plan just lacked . . .  a sequel . . . (which I have kindly provided . . .  :ph34r:)

Please proceed with introducing @Zugzwang919 to the joys of H2H play   :rolleyes:

KHAAANNN, KHAAannn, KHaaannn !!!

And no...That group contains Experienced Players, of course, means I have a greater chance of losing...I will just stick with the occasional unsuspecting BF Forum interns :-)