What will the next CM be?

• 2 months later...
On May 19, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Artkin said:

FULDA GAP!!!

Funny you should mention that. Monday I brought home several boxes of books and games from my storage locker where they have been residing for the last twelve years, and one of the games was Fulda Gap, a board game released during the '70s by SPI. It felt kind of nice to hold it in my hands again.

Michael

3 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Funny you should mention that. Monday I brought home several boxes of books and games from my storage locker where they have been residing for the last twelve years, and one of the games was Fulda Gap, a board game released during the '70s by SPI. It felt kind of nice to hold it in my hands again.  

I just googled the game to read about it.  I noticed that it was selling on e-bay between $76 and $195.  Of course I don't know how much it cost in the 1970s but sounds like it might be worth some $ now....... :o

On 5/19/2018 at 4:28 PM, jza80 said:

They should really make a ww2 late 1945 Combat mission game set in Germany showing the last stages of the war where the Americans are closing in on the Rhine and the soveits entering Berlin.

They are.

CMFB will cover to wars end on the West, and the next module for RT will cover to Berlin in the East; what Id like and think perhaps may be easier to produce for BFC (with most of rhe TO&E, animations etc) is a mash up - take all the end of war Western Allied units, and either lump in some Wehrmacht formations ( with minor alterations to symbolism and animations, or perhaps just leave the Germans out of it as combatants, OR make German units un cons as a 3rd faction for Werewolf anti communist attacks) and then take all the end of war same for the Soviets and create a bunch of WW3 1945 scenarios and some campaigns. Russia vs the Western Allies.

I dont know if Id want to see that more than say WW3 1978 or 85, but I do know that ( from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about making games ) it seems itd be easier to produce as BFC already will have done most of the work for the equipment etc..

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

take all the end of war Western Allied units, and either lump in some Wehrmacht formations ( with minor alterations to symbolism and animations, or perhaps just leave the Germans out of it as combatants, OR make German units un cons as a 3rd faction for Werewolf anti communist attacks) and then take all the end of war same for the Soviets and create a bunch of WW3 1945 scenarios and some campaigns. Russia vs the Western Allies.

+1 Cool idea.  I would just modify it and scale it back some so there would be less work for BFC.

To have the allies and axis all combined in a final module for CMFB would be awesome.  Call the module meeting on the Elbe or something.  I think BFC is resistant to making fictional scenarios based in the past (they just create near future fictional scenarios).   This is fine IMO.  Just please port the CMRT TOE into the last module for CMFB and charge a profitable price for it.  BFC would not have to do anything else (unless they wanted to, which I suspect they don't).   Let the moders and players make their own scenarios with the editor.  This would be very cool.  All the third world brush war scenarios and cold war scenarios that this would allow the players and moders to create.  Patton goes east, Fulda Gap 1950, Korea, Suez crisis etc...................   

An excellent idea. That way the fictitious stuff that the in game combo provides can be readily made and BFC doesnt break its tradition of generally staying away *cof SF, BS cof cof* fictional conflicts.

You could even provide a reason for it by saying the end of war for Germany, Austria, Czechoslovakia and Hungary deserves its own module. All these AOs had troops from West, East, and Germans...

don't know, but did anyone see the news on the Ft Bragg Memorial day parade?  Awesome.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/27/us/politics/military-parade-trump-army-82nd.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Too much politics about Trump's parade in this but the punchline at the end is really cool.

Then came a voice over the loudspeakers: “Ladies and gentlemen, if you look to your front, you should now see the division, led by Maj. Gen. Erik Kurilla and Chief Sgt. Maj. Michael Ferrusi, crossing Sicily Drop Zone, advancing through the smoke headed toward the reviewing stand.”

And sure enough, there they were, coming across the field and emerging from the mist dramatically. Some 15,000 American troops, the 82nd Airborne Division, marched in lock step behind their commanding general, who had just jumped out of a plane with a titanium femur.

Now that is a freakin parade!

3 hours ago, sburke said:

coming across the field and emerging from the mist dramatically. Some 15,000 American troops, the 82nd Airborne Division, marched in lock step behind their commanding general, who had just jumped out of a plane with a titanium femur.  Now that is a freakin parade!

+1  Cool article.  I made many jumps at Fort Bragg on Sicily Drop Zone in the 1980s.  Instead of C17s we had C-141s & C-130s.  Many of the jumps were at night followed by some tactical problem.  I bet those paratroopers enjoyed making a daylight jump for a friendly audience.   :D  

On 19/3/2018 at 6:01 PM, DerKommissar said:

Ooh! Can't wait to butcher a hospital, as the Japanese! Also, can't wait for reinforcements -- because Churchill refuses to send any.

So what you're saying is: You can't wait to wait for reinforcements? :)

Edited by Bulletpoint

OK. I am now happy to confirm what the next CM will be. The title is CMOWSP, i.e Operation Wait and See Pie. There will be a large number of stand alone battles and at the very least one campaign, featuring late war AFVs. The campaign that I am allowed to speak about is set during Operation Varsity in March '45. The player takes command of a small company of US Airborne troops on the east bank or the Rhine. They find themselves assailed from all sides by Germans backed up by vast numbers of "MOANING MINNIES". Will they be able to hang out until 11th Armoured arrive in their Comet 17pdrs, only you, the more astute player, can decide.

you call this chaos? chaos on these boards IMO at its *finest* was when a VERY WELL KNOWN game developer involved in Close Combat started posting here than became am outright troll, got banned, and started makong fake accounts to keep trolling.It actually went on awhile and frankly I was like friggin 16 or 17 but I was EMBARRASSED. for the guy. It also took the last of the fun out of CC2 and 3. Then again CM really destroyed them for me but I still loved CC2s campaign and individual soldiers. Still imo the greatest change for x2 of all was representing each person on map, I could never go back to CMx1s abstraction.

On 5/29/2018 at 3:25 PM, DerKommissar said:

I think the CM2 formula would work well for a Warhammer 40k game. Provided melee mechanics are added. I can imagine extra-terrestrial maps would be fun for mappers. Would be much more true to tabletop than the new Dawn of War game.

CM: Halo before CM: Warhammer 40k tbh.