British Army 2 Inch Mortar Bug?

I've just been doing an quick mission and am using the independent parachute company. I've done an quick search and could not see anything relevant to this. So sorry should this already be reported or queried somewhere. In this video I've recorded below you can see the soldier firing what appears to be high explosive from an airborne 2 inch mortar. What is going on there? As I believe the airborne 2 inch mortars meant to just be supplied with smoke rounds, and no high explosive are being shown in their equipment (fired seven so far so would have been high enough on the equipment list to be seen if they had them). Think this might be an bug or something?

Also there any trick to acquiring the 2 inch mortar that's available in the Carrier Platoon and Antitank Platoons vehicles in some formations? I can obtain the ammunition but whenever I try to obtain the weapon it just disappears into thin air?

The mortar has both HE and smoke rounds. When you do a "target" order, they will fire HE. You need to do the 'fire smoke' order to make them use the smoke ammo.

The HE is not visible in their equipment list because it only shows the first four kinds of ammo they have.

By the way, I had no idea they could fire that mortar from within a building ...

Edited by Bulletpoint

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

The mortar has both HE and smoke rounds. When you do a "target" order, they will fire HE. You need to do the 'fire smoke' order to make them use the smoke ammo.

The HE is not visible in their equipment list because it only shows the first four kinds of ammo they have.

By the way, I had no idea they could fire that mortar from within a building ...

There are two types of 2-inch mortar in game: the regular crew-served version that comes only in a team, not a multi-team squad, and the short airborne version that is organic to some CW parachute squads.  Due to limitations in the engine with equipping multi-team squads with deployable crew-served weapons, this is short 2-inch mortar is treated basically like a handheld grenade launcher, which means no restriction on firing indoors or even from a height directly down on a lower target.  However, its purpose is primarily tossing smoke.  Can't remember exactly how many HE grenades they are allocated, but it is a small number (and perhaps it should be zero).

RE: acquiring the 2-inch mortar carried in some vehicles: haven't looked at this in a while, but it is the full size mortar and the problem may be trying to acquire it with a multi-team squad rather than a single team.  Will have to double check that one.

Edited by akd

2 minutes ago, akd said:

There are two types of 2-inch mortar in game: the regular crew-served version that comes in a team, not a multi-team squad and the short airborne version that is organic to some CW parachute squads.  Due to limitations in the engine with equipping multi-team squads with deployable crew-served weapons, this is short 2-inch mortar is treated basically like a handheld grenade launcher, which means no restriction on firing indoors or even from a height directly down on a lower target.  However, its purpose is primarily tossing smoke.  Can't remember exactly how many HE grenades they are allocated, but it is a small number (and perhaps it should be zero).

Thanks for correcting my post. I did not know the airborne version was different, as I don't have Market Garden :)

I think my point about the HE ammo not showing up because the list can only show 4 items is still correct though.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Are you sure that one could fire any kind of mortar from the shoulder?  I thought maybe it's a misidentified PIAT.

Google can't find any handheld WW2 mortars anyhow...  2" is not to be fired from the shoulder.  IIRC the infamous Jap "knee mortar" was misidentified as being fired from the knee - but it would probably break the leg.

8 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

4 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Thanks for correcting my post. I did not know the airborne version was different, as I don't have Market Garden :)

I think my point about the HE ammo not showing up because the list can only show 4 items is still correct though.

Am aware how to use them. And also aware about that limitation on the ammunition lists. ;) But the thing is that the ammunition lists are displayed in order from most ammunition to least (for example take an unit that shows 150 x .303 MKVIII , 50 x 9MM, 5 x 51MM WP and acquire them another 150 x 9MM and the list then changes order to display 200 x 9MM, 150 x .303 MKVIII, 5 x 51MM WP). So that given that the team shown in the video has so far fired 7 rounds (2 in video, 4 afterwards) that ammunition should have been shown in the ammunition list, but its not. So what 7 rounds have they been firing?

And I believe both the airborne and standard 2 inch mortar are available through the Commonwealth Module also, as they are detailed in the manual for that module, which also states "The airborne 2-inch mortar (located only in the parachute rifle sections) can be used for direct fire only (i.e. cannot fire into defilade), similar to rifle grenades. However, the airborne mortar has only smoke shells."

4 hours ago, akd said:

RE: acquiring the 2-inch mortar carried in some vehicles: haven't looked at this in a while, but it is the full size mortar and the problem may be trying to acquire it with a multi-team squad rather than a single team.  Will have to double check that one.

It's an good thought. Would make sense. Unfortunately I am trying to acquire the weapons for their own men, and neither the Carrier Platoon nor Antitank Platoon have any multi-team units.

With both I will give an test under "laboratory conditions" and post another video to remove some doubt.

Edited by Oliver_88

hahahaha, sorry, I've figured out what's gone on now regarding the airborne mortar, no bug there, the parachute section do not indeed have any high explosive for their mortars, just smoke, so took the same team (loading an save from an turn before the video posted above) and wasted the smoke rounds, no other 51mm rounds remained in their equipment, the reason he was firing high explosive was simply that he was managing to leach an single high explosive round each time (so staying below the grenades in his ammunition list) from the platoons standard 2 inch mortar that was outside an nearby building, should have realised that before

2XtPm5F.png

keep your 2 inch mortar detachment away from the parachute sections if you do not want the rounds to be wasted on germans that are close enough to be dealt with from small arms and prefer to use such rounds as an mortar :lol:

Edited by Oliver_88

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

Are you sure that one could fire any kind of mortar from the shoulder?  I thought maybe it's a misidentified PIAT.

Google can't find any handheld WW2 mortars anyhow...  2" is not to be fired from the shoulder.  IIRC the infamous Jap "knee mortar" was misidentified as being fired from the knee - but it would probably break the leg.

Due to limitations in the engine with equipping multi-team squads with deployable crew-served weapons, this is short 2-inch mortar is treated basically like a handheld grenade launcher, which means no restriction on firing indoors or even from a height directly down on a lower target.

Oliver, I think something changed with acquiring the 2-inch mortars from carriers.  I will double-check.

• 7 months later...