Mod CMFB for a custom made scenario using files from CMRT demo

I've been thinking about making a scenario in CMFB which is supposed to play out on the Eastern Front. The scenario is based on an actual battle that was going on for a couple of days. As there so far are no Soviets in CMFB I planned on doing this scenario with the Americans as the opponents to the Germans. But today I was thinking that I maybe could use the different files for the Soviets from the Red Thunder demo (uniforms, vehicles and voices) to get Soviets in this scenario anyway. Those files would of course have to be put in a Z-folder as a part of the scenario's zip file so the Americans become Soviets.

Before I really start making this scenario, I'd like to know if anyone knows if there are any restrictions to this kind of use of files from the games?

1 hour ago, BornGinger said:

As there so far are no Soviets in CMFB

And there won't ever be. CMFB is a different theater. However the next RT module will be set in winter and go to the end of the war. IE same period as FB.

1 hour ago, BornGinger said:

But today I was thinking that I maybe could use the different files for the Soviets from the Red Thunder demo (uniforms, vehicles and voices)

You would be able to swap the voices (after renaming EVERY file, and possibly uniforms but they won't line up right on the models) but no vehicles. You use to be able to hex edit stuff like helmets, vehicles and infantry models (swap them physically but the code stayed the same. Ex: Sherman model swapped to an Abrams would still act as a Sherman) but I think BFC put the nix on that.

Your best bet would be to either make it a straight up US vs German scenario set in Western Europe or just do all the preliminary work and wait for the RT module, to finish it. It is not worth the extra work trying to squeeze a half-assed Russian mod into FB when you could just do it in RT without any modding at all. Actually come to think of it, you could make the entire scenario in RT right now, and just change the ground conditions to winter when the module comes out.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

On 26/02/2018 at 12:41 AM, Mord said:

And there won't ever be. CMFB is a different theater.

Why wouldn't there be Soviets in Final Blitzkrieg? Both Final Blitzkrieg and Battle for Normandy are on the Western Front (same theatre). And if Final Blitzkrieg is about the period just before the Germans capitulated there were both a Western and an Eastern front around the German Heimat. So that could be viewed as one theatre or at least as the same time period.

I hope there will be Britts, Canadians and Soviets added to Final Blitzkrieg but might make this scenario with Americans as the AI opponent now and change it to Soviets later on.

FB will eventually include the CW forces, like BN and FI did. No worries.

The next RT module will take the Russians into Germany to the end of the war. You aren't gonna see Soviets in FB. That's just the way they do it. Russia stuff is considered a different theater.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

On 27/02/2018 at 6:17 PM, Mord said:

The next RT module will take the Russians into Germany to the end of the war.

Do you have any inside information about when that DLC will be available for purchase? If I decide to get Red Thunder I'll probably do it when that's been released.

Nope. Sorry. All I know is that CMFI has a module due, CMSF2 is due, and RT has a module in the pipe line. The most up-to-date info we have is in this post by Steve from New Years Day. Things have been slow so, I can't imagine we'll see the RT module before late summer/fall. But I don't mind being wrong.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Any time. But like I said, I don't mind being wrong, so keep visiting the forum, the RT module could debut before then. I think we'll have a better idea once we see Rome and SF2. Only time will tell.

Mord.