CMBS Korean Campaign: Red Dragon

dragonwynn

Ok managed to get the North Koreans switched to the Ukarinian side. Reworked all uniforms, vehicles and silhouttes as well as got the voice files switched over. I may add to those later. Also reworked some of the fall foilage, hopefully will give a good representation of the season. First map is coming along so the project is slowly grinding forward.

Still undecided about the South Korean presence in the campaign. The uniforms look decent but not being able to use the Korean voice files and faces is a bummer. Thinking about keeping them involved in the storyline but not actually making a apperance and just use US units. The campaign will take place in one part of the the country and is a small part of the bigger storyline so that option has some merit. Thoughts on this are appreciated. I really want to give a realistic experience to the player (at least as far as the game engine allows) so would it be a viable option to not include the SK's visually?

Here is the link to the new screenshots of the NK uniforms and vehicles.

https://imgur.com/a/jXIPF

Michael

2 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

<SNIP>  so would it be a viable option to not include the SK's visually?   <SNIP> 

What an amazing project.  Not only a scenario designer but a campaign designer plus a mod builder.  Not just a basic mod but a military and buildings.  Just WOW  :).   This is such good work I don't see any problem not having the South Koreans visually represented.   There are plenty of CMBS battles with no Ukrainians.     

I'm not sure if you have an interest in CMSF however after CMSF 2 is released with IEDs, VBIEDs, spys, and several nationalities I bet you would be able to create all kinds of cool stuff with that game.  Nice work. +1

Thanks for the support and suggestions guys. I am looking forward to CMSF2 for sure, lots of good potential for scenario/campaign designers there. I am leaning towards not using the SK's but keep the story line around the US response. Core US units will be the 2nd Infantry Division (Indian Head) (uniforms done) and the 1 Bn 2nd ABCT (Black Knights) which I can now model their uniform insignias. If my research is correct the 2nd ABCT is the next rotational team in Korea (they may be there now).

The idea behind this is North Korea takes advantage of certain "situations" and attacks across the DMZ. They have upgraded some of their military abilities (how is outlined in the storyline) but due to limited resources (fuel, supplies, etc) they are on a tight timeline to secure specific objectives or they know the invasion will fail. It will be the US resopnse to prevent them from reaching said objectives.

Ive tried to model their vehicles and armor based on research I have been able to dig up so hopefully their TO&E will be somewhat realistic. They will lack the experience levels of the US forces but will have large numbers of troops and especially lots of artillery. Hopefully when its all said and done it will be a fun play through.

Edited by dragonwynn

9 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

Ok managed to get the North Koreans switched to the Ukarinian side. Reworked all uniforms, vehicles and silhouttes as well as got the voice files switched over. I may add to those later. Also reworked some of the fall foilage, hopefully will give a good representation of the season. First map is coming along so the project is slowly grinding forward.

Still undecided about the South Korean presence in the campaign. The uniforms look decent but not being able to use the Korean voice files and faces is a bummer. Thinking about keeping them involved in the storyline but not actually making a apperance and just use US units. The campaign will take place in one part of the the country and is a small part of the bigger storyline so that option has some merit. Thoughts on this are appreciated. I really want to give a realistic experience to the player (at least as far as the game engine allows) so would it be a viable option to not include the SK's visually?

Here is the link to the new screenshots of the NK uniforms and vehicles.

Michael

Very nice switch to UKR...looks much more authentic.   Love the scenario and building mods too.

This project is really interesting, considering the recent situation around Korean peninsula.... How about design US army vs KPA first, then introduce RoK army later?

Regarding places, you could also choose Pyongyang and approaching route to Pyongyang, and some important crossroads on the way to PY... 

I really wish something like KPA + PLA vs US + RoK army, but I know the chance for such set up in current CMBS is fairly low.  

That is very, very impressive indeed.....My hat's off to you sir!  B)

Just wish you had some T-62s to play with as base MBT models.....I reckon a T-62MV would be a pretty good approximation for the capabilities of the P'okp'ung-Ho, maybe use the T-62M for the Ch'onma-Ho.  Presumably many of your mods for this would be portable to CM:SF II in the future?

2 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

Added a few new screenshots from one of the maps showing some fall foliage detail and more Korean buildings. Also added screenies of uniforms of both the US units in the campaign.

Link here

Maybe by the end of the year it will be completed.....:lol:

Michael

Fantastic Screenshots.  The mods are coming along nicely.  Looking forward to this...

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That is very, very impressive indeed.....My hat's off to you sir!  B)

Just wish you had some T-62s to play with as base MBT models.....I reckon a T-62MV would be a pretty good approximation for the capabilities of the P'okp'ung-Ho, maybe use the T-62M for the Ch'onma-Ho.  Presumably many of your mods for this would be portable to CM:SF II in the future?

Thanks guys. Im using the Ukr T-64 BV which is pretty close to the T-62 and will model in the campaign the Chonma-Ho MBT. I was surprised to find in my research that the Pokpung has modeled after the T-72's and was upgraded with technologies of the T-80 and T-90 tanks. Its no slouch but  I am sure its not even close to the T-90 on the battlefield. It was interesting none the less. And only one unit in the NK army is equipped with the Pokpung and its the 105th Seoul Ry-Kyong-Su Guards Division.

There's a useful .pdf at that link:  http://www.nkeconwatch.com/nk-uploads/kpa-journal-vol-1-no-4.pdf

5 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

I was surprised to find in my research that the Pokpung has modeled after the T-72's and was upgraded with technologies of the T-80 and T-90 tanks. Its no slouch but  I am sure its not even close to the T-90 on the battlefield. It was interesting none the less.

I'd take some of that with a pinch of salt.....The pictures we're seeing don't show the equipment they are talking about, just stretched T-62s with turret NERA much like the T-62M and some ERA here & there.....Plus of course about a zillion pointless bolt on MGs/SAMs/ATGMs.  I don't disagree that the T-64BV is the best match in CM:BS, but I do maintain the capabilities of the actual vehicles are likely much closer to upgraded versions of the T-62.

• 3 weeks later...

The first comment of the 'Executuive Summary' may be good news for @dragonwynn

A North Korean regular infantry division is the most likely type of division a US unit would face on the Korean peninsula. While the Korean People’s Army (KPA) fields armor and mechanized units, the number of regular infantry units far exceeds the other types (pg 3).

Hopefully this would minimize the issue with mismatched AFVs?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Hey guys. Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I had to go through a relocation move so been tied up with that for a few weeks. Still waiting to get home internet hooked up but hope to get back on track with this project soon. Thanks for the continuing interest.

I find your designs wonderful.  But, you (and all other serious designers) may want to ask MOS to take a look at the innovative stuff he is doing with his TOC scenario (Beta testing right now).   It breathes new life into CM2.   Am certain it will give you some ideas/inspirations. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...