game crashes after some time playing

Deriuse

I was having issues after updating Geforce drivers on my 6-year-old i7 gaming laptop.  I then remembered that previously I had used NVIDIA Inspector (Nvidia Profile Inspector) to set the vsync to 1/2 refresh rate.  I applied the profile to all my CMx2 games, all is well again, not crashing.

Edited by Blazing 88's

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but is anyone having this issue on Windows 7? I'm not, at least not in CMSF1 Marines.

Sorry, I apologize for the double post.

Edited by Vet 0369
Double post

i began getting random BSOD a few weeks ago after updating Steam IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad with the two new Flying Circus airplanes. I never had a BSOD until that point. I didn't need to be using any particular program, and the time could be any where from1 hour in, to almost immediately. I used F8 on startup to select "don't check driver signatures" or something, and stopped all applications running in the background that were'nt necessary such as Process Lasso, FRAPS, Steam, Discord, and etc. the BSoDs seemed to have stopped. 

Using Windows Is what makes me love MacOS so much!

Edited by Vet 0369

Everytime I play for 55 minutes the game crashes. all the time 55 minutes.

Faulting application name: CM Red Thunder.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5851ce03
Faulting module name: nvoglv32.dll, version: 24.21.13.9882, time stamp: 0x5b5f4df9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00659ed4
Faulting process id: 0x970
Faulting application start time: 0x01d43465db810487
Faulting application path: G:\Battlefront\Combat Mission Red Thunder\CM Red Thunder.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_52ac7eb8f32780d5\nvoglv32.dll
Report Id: e333488e-d42b-47b7-b01a-2710ebb1cc5b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

CM Red Thunder.exe
      5851ce03
      nvoglv32.dll
      5b5f4df9
      c0000005
      00659ed4
      01d43465db810487
      G:\Battlefront\Combat Mission Red Thunder\CM Red Thunder.exe
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_52ac7eb8f32780d5\nvoglv32.dll

e333488e-d42b-47b7-b01a-2710ebb1cc5b

So looks like NVIDIA's new drivers for OpenGL does not support the game any longer?

8 hours ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

Everytime I play for 55 minutes the game crashes. all the time 55 minutes.

Faulting application name: CM Red Thunder.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5851ce03
Faulting module name: nvoglv32.dll, version: 24.21.13.9882, time stamp: 0x5b5f4df9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00659ed4
Faulting process id: 0x970
Faulting application start time: 0x01d43465db810487
Faulting application path: G:\Battlefront\Combat Mission Red Thunder\CM Red Thunder.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_52ac7eb8f32780d5\nvoglv32.dll
Report Id: e333488e-d42b-47b7-b01a-2710ebb1cc5b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

CM Red Thunder.exe
      5851ce03
      nvoglv32.dll
      5b5f4df9
      c0000005
      00659ed4
      01d43465db810487
      G:\Battlefront\Combat Mission Red Thunder\CM Red Thunder.exe
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_52ac7eb8f32780d5\nvoglv32.dll

e333488e-d42b-47b7-b01a-2710ebb1cc5b

So looks like NVIDIA's new drivers for OpenGL does not support the game any longer?

I am on nvidia and mine doesn’t do that. Weird that it is always 55 minutes, that sounds like something else is going on, but I am no computer whiz. 

I've experienced crashes to desktop with CMFI, CMRT, and CMFB since February.  (I always update my nVidia drivers whenever a new version is available so I have thus used multiple drivers since that time and none have fixed the issue).

It's not severe -- I play turn-based and can sometimes go 50 or more turns without experiencing it.  And though I try to save every couple of turns, the bug has an uncanny tendency to strike any time I get distracted and play 6 or 8 turns without saving).  Really makes me wish CM had an auto-save.

If there is anything at all consistent about the crashes I would say they are more frequent in longer play sessions.  

1 hour ago, Stolypin said:

I've experienced crashes to desktop with CMFI, CMRT, and CMFB since February.  (I always update my nVidia drivers whenever a new version is available so I have thus used multiple drivers since that time and none have fixed the issue).

It's not severe -- I play turn-based and can sometimes go 50 or more turns without experiencing it.  And though I try to save every couple of turns, the bug has an uncanny tendency to strike any time I get distracted and play 6 or 8 turns without saving).  Really makes me wish CM had an auto-save.

If there is anything at all consistent about the crashes I would say they are more frequent in longer play sessions.  

Does the size of the scenario affect the crash rate?

• 2 weeks later...

A SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME!
Both Final Blitzkrieg and Normandy kept crashing after 20 to 40 min play. By coincidence i discovered that my powersettings in Win 10 was set to balanced, even though i remember that ive put it to high performance. Go to win 10 menu, power options and additional powersettings. Click HIGH PERFORMANCE, save and start game as administrator, No crash for 4 hours now!! :D

14 hours ago, Zergman said:

A SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME!
Both Final Blitzkrieg and Normandy kept crashing after 20 to 40 min play. By coincidence i discovered that my powersettings in Win 10 was set to balanced, even though i remember that ive put it to high performance. Go to win 10 menu, power options and additional powersettings. Click HIGH PERFORMANCE, save and start game as administrator, No crash for 4 hours now!! :D

Did not work for me

4 hours ago, Zergman said:

Nope. Did get a crash again last night. DAmnit. But it worked for 48 hours! 😕

I don’t think that necessarily invalidates what you found in the other issue.  It could be a totally unrelated item. I can make CM crash by launching into 3D view in the editor for a very large map repeatedly.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, now I also join the club of people who get these crashes. I'm also using an Nvidia card on a windows 10 machine. Newest drivers.

The game will crash after about 20-30 minutes of play.

I also made a test where I just let the game sit inactive for some time, and it crashed without me doing anything, but I don't know exactly how long it took.

When it crashes, it just freezes for a couple of seconds, then I'm back at the desktop.

34 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Ok, now I also join the club of people who get these crashes. I'm also using an Nvidia card on a windows 10 machine. Newest drivers.

I also made a test where I just let the game sit inactive for some time, and it crashed without me doing anything, but I don't know exactly how long it took.

When it crashes, it just freezes for a couple of seconds, then I'm back at the desktop.

There has been some bugs associated with sound and Nvidia cards. Try disabling sound in game (ALT-S, I believe) and see if it crashes again. Another one made small changes in the Nvidia Control Panel (can't check which now) and that helped.

2 minutes ago, rocketman said:

There has been some bugs associated with sound and Nvidia cards. Try disabling sound in game (ALT-S, I believe) and see if it crashes again. Another one made small changes in the Nvidia Control Panel (can't check which now) and that helped.

Thanks, will try to see if the sound helps. Would be a bit boring to play without sound though.

45 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Thanks, will try to see if the sound helps. Would be a bit boring to play without sound though.

Yes, but then there might be solutions. For me was it to put the game on an external drive. There might also be a sound management program that can be disabled which causes the crash.

17 hours ago, rocketman said:

Today I toggled off the sound and played for about 3 hours. Then it crashed again. Seems I could play for longer with the sound off, but it could also just be a coincidence.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, Bulletpoint said:

Hi,

Have you tried making the changes that LethaFace suggested on page 2 of this forum? I followed his Nvidia settings changes and all of my crashing problems that were identical to yours have vanished. Haven't had a crash in over a week, leaving some games running for a day or two.