game crashes after some time playing

Deriuse

my game suddently stops working without any specific event tied to it,it happens with all the cmx2 titles not only one i have mods installed but i didnt change anything but the graphic card i have format my computer and still happens,,before that everything was ok same mods same nvida control pannel options except i changed the resolution for 4k can be this? i changed from a 780to a  1070 it happens when i have been playing for like 20-30 minutes only happens with cm games i run other old games (star wars galaxies is from 2003) and they run fine

Edited by Deriuse

I wouldn't necessarily think that a particular resolution would cause a problem with the CM series. So every game crashes after 20 - 30 minutes of play, regardless of what you're doing ? So if you just brought up a game and got to the 3D screen (a Quick Battle or something) and left it there, it would still crash within 20 to 30 minutes ?

What Windows version are you running (i.e. - Windows 10 Home 64-bit, etc.) ? What video driver do you have installed ? You may want to reinstall your video driver. When you do so, select the 'custom' option and select the 'clean install' check-box once it is presented. This should hopefully get rid of previous registry entries and other files that may only belong to a previous driver.

Have you added 'exceptions' in your security software for the game executables and/or their directories ? Usually such steps are necessary just for the games to run. It is a bit more rare for security software to cause a problem once the game is running.

Do you know what my be running in the background when you attempt to run a CM game ? Any particular programs or utilities ? You say that you 'format  your computer', as this a complete wipe and reinstall of Windows and all of your applications or did you possibly just reinstall Windows over the previous installation ?

yes it crashes even if doing nothing

im using windows 10 profesional 64 bits

i have the latest driver and reinstalled it as you said

i have the firewall and anti virus disabled

i format my computer with a total wipe

programs running are steam and nothing else

still crashing

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing happened to me on CMFB.  Game is fine for about 40 minutes of turns into an hour and fifteen minute "Quick Battle".  I press start to start my next turn and the entire game dumps and I go to my home computer screen.  I have a Mac running OS X El Capitan, Processor: 3.2 GHz intel Core i5, Memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB.

Arthur

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been playing CMBN, CMFI, CMFB, and CMRT since last fall, v.4 for all, using Windows 10 and latest nVidia driver (391.35 / 3-27-18) and have recently begun experiencing crashes with CMRT.  Had one quick battle crash multiple times.  Had a three-hour stock scenario do fine for the first two hours, then crash (as I was trying to save!).  I have no AV program other than Windows Defender.  

I also wanted to mention I occasionally get crashes on Combat Mission games as well. I have all the WWII titles, and all titles have crashed roughly 30min-60min into a save.

My specs:

Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core i7-8700K CPU

16.0 GB RAM

Nvidia 1080 Ti with up-to-date drivers

I have tried fresh installations. I have played without mods and with mods with both fresh installs. Combat Mission titles are updated to the latest engine v.4 upgrade. They are installed on my SSD. Not sure what happened, but these are random crashes. At the same time, the time frame between crashes stays pretty consistent. 

Thank you

Edited by Eremitae

I have also started experiencing crashes, on CMBN. I had always regarded these games as extremely stable, so it was a surprise.

One possible clue - each time it was when I went AFK for about 20-30 minutes.

Since then, I have not gone AFK and left the game running, and it hasn't happened again so far.

I wonder if a Windows update is causing the problem. Nothing has changed on my rig. Except maybe an Nvidia driver update some time ago.

It might be a bit more widespread

Though a few commonalities stand out:

• It seems the origin date of the crashes is something that happened around February.
  • There might crashes for different reasons, but it seems at least one kind of error is Nvidia/Geforce graphics cards.

Even if it is related to Geforce graphic cards, it does not mean for sure that Nvidia made a bad driver, although that could be one reason - OpenGL is not given the majority of the attention by graphic cards providers. Maybe Combat Mission is interacting with the OpenGL in inappropriate manners, that before was beforehand working, but driver updates assumes no such behaviour. Maybe Windows changed (broke) something recently - many with the problem are reporting using Windows 10, though not all.

Regardless, the end result is the same; CMFI crashes. I can also say plenty of other games do not crash. So regardless of fault, it might fall to Battlefront to fix/workaround the issue.

Edited by Muzzleflash1990

The CM series utilizes comparatively basic OpenGL 2.x calls in a manner I believe is considered 'immediate mode'. This provides the greatest compatibility with most drivers that are capable of supporting OpenGL (though there are basically just 3 major video chip vendors left now). Most games on the PC utilize DirectX and those that utilize OpenGL may be using OpenGL 3.x or 4.x now.

More than likely, as has often been the case in the past, an optimization within a newer driver release has broken something that CM's 'immediate mode' OpenGL 2.x depends on. There may be no 'fix' that Battlefront can release to work-around this issue. 'Working around' this issue could potentially require re-engineering the graphics engine (the bugs can be that significant that OpenGL 2.x simply won't work to fully support the graphics engine). This is no small task and goes beyond a 'simple patch'. The best course of action, if this problem is related to the video drivers (which seems to be the case based on some of the errors), is to go back to a slightly older driver and see if that helps. I would suggest the 388.71 (for Windows 10 64-bit). These were released only in December 2017, so they are not that old.

When performing the installation I suggest selecting 'Custom' and then selecting the check-box for 'Clean installation', which should remove the previous drivers (and require a reboot).

Edited by Schrullenhaft

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So if you switch the resolution down to 1920 x 1080 (which is what I assume you were running earlier), what effect does that have ? I suspect it won't change what you're seeing.

The CM series shouldn't really tax your video card, but if you check it with some monitoring software (sometimes available from the video card manufacturer or using GPUZ) is it still within a decent temperature range, which supposedly would be about 85 C with a GTX 1070 ? What driver version are you running currently ?

i

1 minute ago, Schrullenhaft said:

So if you switch the resolution down to 1920 x 1080 (which is what I assume you were running earlier), what effect does that have ? I suspect it won't change what you're seeing.

The CM series shouldn't really tax your video card, but if you check it with some monitoring software (sometimes available from the video card manufacturer or using GPUZ) is it still within a decent temperature range, which supposedly would be about 85 C with a GTX 1070 ? What driver version are you running currently ?

it has the same effect im running the latest nvidia driver and temperature isnt a issue i have exterior temperature display and i run new games such as totalwar warhammer 2 ultra gprahics with no issues etc

• 4 weeks later...

I was having the same problem,random crashes after about 30 - 40 minutes in game. It seems that the problem has something to do whit the shaders,after i turned of the shaders  i have played about 15 hours now without a single crash.

I have the same problem
I thought came from the mouse and paddle (I play with a paddle combined with the mouse) I deleted the paddle

I thought I solved the problem for 2 weeks I did not have a crash and then I realized that the shaders were disabled
I put them back, and again the crash appeared on certain part I save each turn and I crash all 3-4 round !!!
i have Windows 10 and NVIDIA card
Edited by Falaise

teste
Scenario: 18 squad
game launched with shader on
after launch, the game is left on the screen without activity. More than half an hour later, the game appears on the screen the wind and rain animations still active and the sound is ok . when i touch the mouse the screen ends and the message "le programme ne répond plus" appears
even chosen with shader off
no worries and the game continues