Is Combat Mission BS worth the steep 60$ US?

2 hours ago, slysniper said:

If someone cannot see for themselves that the game is worth the money, I am not going to waste my time trying to change their mind.

For myself, I have never regretted any purchase of BF games.

I wish I could say that for other games and items I have spent money on.

I concur.

14 hours ago, slysniper said:

For myself, I have never regretted any purchase of BF games.

I wish I could say that for other games and items I have spent money on.

Same here. There have been a number of times I have purchased games and after they arrived almost immediately wished I could get my money back. Some few others made it through a week of play before I turned my back on them. But a small number were my good companions for months of enjoyable play. CM has lasted years and I continue to be amazed at how good they are. I guess BFC will continue to get my money.

Michael

My opinion: CMBS is worth it's price. It offers a lot of content, hours of play (100+ at least I would say). Maybe not as much (yet?) as CMSF, but more than I have been able to play. So as you seem to have enjoyed CMSF,  I would recommend CMBS because it basically takes the fight to another level. There are a lot of new features and RED has a lot more teeth when compared to CMSF. Also, the scenario designers have gotten better at it over the last decade so expect more 'professional' content.

Whether 100+ hours of enjoyment are worth $60 to you, is a question only you can answer. Of course your financial situation influences the answer. Personally I consider $60,- cheap for what I get in return. Of course there might be other games that offer more hours of gameplay for less, but then they are not like Combat Mission so that point is irrelevant to me. Plus I like to support (niche) developers like BF.C because I like there to be CM games around, whether I have time to play them or not. 

Why are you all being such weird asses about his question?

IanL and MOS:96B2P were kind enough to answer his questions about content, MOS very thoroughly. However, we are now on page two largely on the basis of people being ****ty that he thinks $60 is a lot of money. Yes he thinks $60 is a bit pricey. Okay great maybe it his for him, maybe it isn't. We don't know. What we don't need to be doing is dogpiling on the dude.

And you have to admit that if you didn't follow BFC posts very regularly you would likely be confused as to what is going on. You might wonder what changes have been made since CM:SF. You might wonder if CM:BS, a 4 year old game, is expecting any updates. You may not know about the CM:SF2 update. You might want to come to the forums and ask the nice helpful users some questions so those with more knowledge could concisely inform you. If you look at the CM:BS news page http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=334&Itemid=576 you might be forgiven in thinking that there are no expansions planned.

But of course we have to jump down his throat that he dare question spending $60.

Imagine replying like this....

Yea $60 is kind of expensive, but I've gotten really good value for the money. There is a lot of content included with CM:BS and a bunch of user made content for you to access. (maybe link to the scenario depot here?). You can see some of the added features since CM:SF on this page http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=338&Itemid=583 and there is always the demo available here http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=340&Itemid=584

Right now we're expecting an CM:BS expansion somewhere around (insert date here).

Imagine that, helpful, informative, non-argumentative. But why would we want to do that? When we can reply like this: 

LMFAO. He says, not realizing the irony of the statement, in which he is literally dictating the financial freedoms of BFC. Frankly, if you're too poor to afford a $60 game, then don't buy it. Get Shock Force, which is $15, or is that too expensive for you too?

No one cares about your whining, and BFC isn't going to change their prices based on your entitled opinion that you deserve the product of their labor at a price you determine.

It is possible for people to hold views that are in opposition from each other without being petty. I mean this guy has posted nine times. Five in the T-72 Balkans on Fire forum between 2010 and 2012 and four times in this thread. I'm sure he has left with a positively sterling opinion on Battlefront and the forum users. And of course we were perfectly right to drag him down as quickly as we can because this 9 post lurker is obviously a troll who wants to destroy Battlefront.

Maybe next time someone says something you don't agree with you can not immediately go on the attack. If you are really triggered by the possibility that someone thinks $60 is expensive you can just turn off your computer and not reply.

21 hours ago, Erwin said:

Plus I reckon playtime is closer to thousands of hours value for most of us here (including us "Ancients" as well as the "Old-Timers"). 

Doubt I've spent ten hours playing it TBH.....Spent several hundred in the editor though (and still not achieved anything I'd publish)!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

56 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

still not achieved anything I'd publish!  ;)

Well.............. you probably should publish the Ashsh al-Dababir (AKA east Mosul) scenario.  You did a fine job.  This is a good time while everyone is waiting on CMSF2.   All the sequels to it (I think you are planning some?) can be done in CMSF2.  Let the Iraqi CTS fight NOW!!!!  :). 

Not trying to score any points here.  But, it's always been my sense that the folks here who are most into scenario design and mods, don't actually play the game much.  We enjoy the game for completely different reasons.  And that is what sometimes leads to friction when the "gamer" fraternity posts wish lists vs what the "programmer" fraternity wish for. 

4 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Well.............. you probably should publish the Ashsh al-Dababir (AKA east Mosul) scenario.  You did a fine job.  This is a good time while everyone is waiting on CMSF2.   All the sequels to it (I think you are planning some?) can be done in CMSF2.  Let the Iraqi CTS fight NOW!!!!  :). 

I have a sequel for CM:SF (Al Hutumah - The Crusher), shouldn't be too long now.....I will attempt to redo both of them (and more) as a structured campaign (on a bigger map) for CM:SF II, the current iterations are too brutal for that format IMHO.  :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Erwin said:

We enjoy the game for completely different reasons.  And that is what sometimes leads to friction when the "gamer" fraternity posts wish lists vs what the "programmer" fraternity wish for.

Not entirely, but your point is well taken.....I play some of the games quite a lot, but I'm definitely at about a 10:1 ratio in editor/gaming time.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

23 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

It is possible for people to hold views that are in opposition from each other without being petty. I mean this guy has posted nine times. Five in the T-72 Balkans on Fire forum between 2010 and 2012 and four times in this thread. I'm sure he has left with a positively sterling opinion on Battlefront and the forum users. And of course we were perfectly right to drag him down as quickly as we can because this 9 post lurker is obviously a troll who wants to destroy Battlefront.

I think you are right to suggest that there was a certain amount of shooting from the hip in this case. But I also think that it is understandable if some people have been made a bit trigger happy by posters who in fact are simply tiresome whining trolls. What we all need to do is to take a deep breath and count to ten before blowing somebody out of the water. Let 'em show their true colors and then if need be, blow 'em out of the water.

Michael

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, Pelican Pal said:

Why are you all being such weird asses about his question?

IanL and MOS:96B2P were kind enough to answer his questions about content, MOS very thoroughly. However, we are now on page two largely on the basis of people being ****ty that he thinks $60 is a lot of money. Yes he thinks $60 is a bit pricey. Okay great maybe it his for him, maybe it isn't. We don't know. What we don't need to be doing is dogpiling on the dude.

Maybe next time someone says something you don't agree with you can not immediately go on the attack. If you are really triggered by the possibility that someone thinks $60 is expensive you can just turn off your computer and not reply.

Normally I'd agree, however what you didn't say is 3 of his 8 posts are argumentative responses to answers to his original post - hence my suggesting maybe he has his mind already made up in which case what is he looking for here that would be worth considering to alter his view.

If I were to ask you why you'd suggest I read another book on WW2, you gave your reasons why you felt it was a good read, then I tried arguing with you why it wasn't worth it despite my not reading it, how would you take that?  Then I started arguing that volume 2 of that book was essentially the same source material as volume 1 so why should I pay for volume 2..... And oh yeah the author previously wrote a book on another ww2 battle and I already read that so this one should be cheaper. 

Frankly even the initial post is made in a very argumentative manner.  The responses were restrained and the argumentative tone continued.  In addition some of these arguments sound really familiar (paying for "patches" etc.).  The post isn't about "Is CMBS worth it i.e. is the game enjoyable" so much as "is BFs entire development process worth it".

Yes we should all lighten up a bit.  It is just a gaming forum after all, but I'd disagree that the responses have been totally out of line.

1 hour ago, sburke said:

Normally I'd agree, however what you didn't say is 3 of his 8 posts are argumentative responses to answers to his original post - hence my suggesting maybe he has his mind already made up in which case what is he looking for here that would be worth considering to alter his view.

What's that saying: "when someone shows you who they are - believe them the first time".

1 hour ago, sburke said:

Yes we should all lighten up a bit.

Probably - no promises though :D

On 15/02/2018 at 10:28 PM, Blackbird34 said:

I'm not really active in the CM community but I've played the CM:SF + NATO + Marines + Upgrade patch in single player since the games first came out.

Perhaps you could pick up the British module of CMSF waiting for a future bundle with CMBS and its first module.