• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them

10 hours ago, sburke said:

So how many people here have read Bored of the Ring?

[Raises hand.] Legolamb and Buggins were my favorites. And "biggers" was superlative.

Michael

I must admit that I am getting worried about this. The long silence and inactivity is unusual. Perhaps there is a deeper problem behind all of this that cannot be resolved. That would be a great shame. I find it difficult to explain what we are seeing (or not seeing) as just a bit of a sulk. I can't remember a patch taking this long after the new version release.

50 minutes ago, usgubgub said:

I must admit that I am getting worried about this. The long silence and inactivity is unusual. Perhaps there is a deeper problem behind all of this that cannot be resolved. That would be a great shame. I find it difficult to explain what we are seeing (or not seeing) as just a bit of a sulk. I can't remember a patch taking this long after the new version release.

EEEeeeRRK...! Incorrect. ;)

A link for those concerned about the patch. I think of this every time Steve says something is going to be released "soon" :)

I've got to admit I now have more than two games (as of this evening) on hold because of poor AI behaviour that have stopped play. When veteran troops (and +2), rested and OK are in cover behind bocage but come under pinning fire, they do not run out from the bocage into the exposed field of fire  - unless they first panic or at least become nervous. Pinned does not mean panic, it means pinned! Infuriating stuff!

18 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Pinned does not mean panic, it means pinned!

Yeah, and it's difficult to "Find, fix, and flank" the enemy, when you can't fix them..

10 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

How dare you, Sir. :) I did. At least four times.

That beats me; I've only read it twice in forty some-odd years. But I've been thinking that it's getting to be just about time for another go through.

BTW, Netflix is currently streaming a version of The Fellowship of the Ring. I noticed that they cut several scenes from the running, including some that I regard as very important. But for all that, the running time is still nearly three hours. Bring a sandwich and a six-pack.

Michael

13 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

That beats me; I've only read it twice in forty some-odd years. But I've been thinking that it's getting to be just about time for another go through.

BTW, Netflix is currently streaming a version of The Fellowship of the Ring. I noticed that they cut several scenes from the running, including some that I regard as very important. But for all that, the running time is still nearly three hours. Bring a sandwich and a six-pack.

Michael

Yeah, that must be the extended version, which I have on DVD. All three movies extended to three times three hours or so. Heaven! :)

And it makes for a better story indeed. Much more details and background. LOTR already appealed to me when I was a boy. Knights, honor, fight against evil, wizzards...But hey, I also love Ivanhoe, Magnum PI and The Persuaders. It must be an age thing (55 years soon).

I've read there are plans to make a tv series of the other books of Tolkien. Such a wonderful, heroic world.

But Deadpool 2 or Avengers Infinity War is also fun to watch. Another kind of heroes and more of our time, I  guess. :)

Edited by Aragorn2002

5 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I've read there are plans to make a tv series of the other books of Tolkien.

I hope they don't mess them up. I always cringe a little when I hear that a book I love is being made into a movie or tv series. The producers always seem to feel that they know better how to present a story. George R. R. Martin was fortunate to be able to serve as a guiding hand on how his tale was to be moved into another medium. Sadly, Tolkien is not around to serve the same function as he was a true master of narrative.

Michael

3 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Read any good Tracts lately?

Michael

To be honest, whilst waiting for the aforementioned "Patch", my reading is confined to "Then and Now" books, a biography of some chap from the 20th century by the name of Attlee, and the labels on beer bottles (But don't tell the little woman, as she is convinced that she is the finest brewster in the Commonwealth).

18 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

As I was only saying to Elizabeth by the fire the other night, "The Oxford Movement seem to be everywhere nowadays, perhaps I'll have to jump into that there TARDIS thingamajig and pay Mr Pierrepoint a visit."

That would be nice.

Question - I have bought the 4.0 upgrades (I have all the modules and add-ons except for the Black Sea series) about a year ago - but haven't gotten to actually upgrading as the task is a bit daunting (particularly for CMBN and all the modules/add-ons) and haven't had the time to do. However, have a bit of free time over the next couple of weeks and was going to finally hunker down and plow through the upgrade process.  

But, given the comments here - would it be better to wait for the patch, or is the 4 generally still better than 3 and upgrading is still an improvement?

Thanks

I may be setting foot in the dish...
but I'm wondering if I will use the patch when it will be disponnible
because I play CMBN and find the behavior of the units rather realistic
I must say that I started with level 4 and I get used to it
on the contrary I tested the demo CMFI who is not at level 4 and is I find the resistance rate of units a little inhuman
I also note that it is especially the CMFI and to a lesser extent those of CMRT who complain of a strange behavior to see unplayable since version 4

2 hours ago, dw said:

But, given the comments here - would it be better to wait for the patch, or is the 4 generally still better than 3 and upgrading is still an improvement?

In my opinion, no go for it. But you can have an insurance scheme - be able to run either one whenever you like. Forget about the daunting task of upgrading just install a new fresh install of CMBN v4. One of the links you can download from your v4 upgrade purchase is a full install of CMBN with all the packs and modules. The download is big but you only have to run one install and active it with your key. So run the full install and make sure you point to a separate location on your HD and presto you can run CMBN v3 or CMBNv4 as you like.