The patch?

28 minutes ago, IanL said:

I just don't agree that the issue is game breaking.

I'll have to disagree, infantry become absolutely useless once they start taking indirect fire.

2 hours ago, sburke said:

Stop expecting they are gonna start a blog you can interact with to get more information that will never actually satisfy you and please stop asking Steve for dates.  Every time he posts one here I cringe cause I know it is only a matter of time before we end up right here.

Its not hard to give us an update on the progress of the patch, even a simple "its taking longer than expected to fix" would be fine

This thread will be closed soon. That seems to be the normal procedure here nowadays. Always same pattern. Insult those who are critical. Let it escalate and then close the thread.

But it shows us two facts. 1.A lot of people are getting pretty frustrated about the lack of decent information 2. Nobody seems to understand what's going on anymore, not even those who defend BF no matter what.

Edited by Aragorn2002

13 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

This thread will be closed soon. That seems to be the normal procedure here nowadays. Always same pattern. Insult those who are critical. Let it escalate and then close the thread.

But it shows us two facts. 1.A lot of people are getting pretty frustrated about the lack of decent information 2. Nobody seems to understand what's going on anymore, not even those who defend BF no matter what.

I fully agree.

1 hour ago, sttp said:

And let's not forget that BFC has admitted that they knew of the issue at 4.0's release -- apparently it was pointed out by a few beta testers -- but the company didn't consider it game-breaking enough to hold the product back. 

Yeah I am with Ian on this one.  He and I are both beta testers and I didn't become aware of this one until in the middle of a pbem months afterwards.  Not sure where you came up with this one but as far as I know it is completely false.  Sounds like a mis-communication somewhere along the line or someone being mis quoted.

Where you are correct is it was known a few months before January.  January is when I think Steve posted that things were moving ahead on the AI reaction.  If it were simply a matter of reverting that behavior any of us can do that now utilizing 3.0.  BF however has additional AI behavior in 4.0 that no one wants just tossed so yeah it takes a bit of time to make sure the patch isn't released and right after someone says "hey wait when I do X.... the game is totally broken!"  Also as @sttp noted it isn't the only issue that has been pointed out.

1 hour ago, sid_burn said:

This is rich coming  blah blah blah blah

whatever.   You make unsupported accusations.  I give at least circumstantial evidence to the contrary.  You give nothing but indignant responses to being asked to provide at least some kind of information to back up your claims including the really stupid one of suggesting you'll have to pay for a patch which BF has never charged for.  I'd also watch that location note of smashing delusional fanboys - BF has shown very little tolerance for that kind of attitude.  Your choice, but I at least gave you a heads up.

2 hours ago, Sulomon said:

Small businesses do "limp along" for 20 years.

No, no they don't.  Half fail in the first 5 years.  Survival past there is a mark of success not a matter of limping along.  If you are limping, you are in the fail process and it won't take 20 years to find that out.  Be nice if you guys would just bother to do just a little research before spouting out this kind of nonsensical crap.  Really google and read just a little bit.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140915223641-170128193-what-are-the-real-small-business-survival-rates/

That doesn't mean you guys can't and shouldn't gripe for updates.  Hell if you didn't like the product you wouldn't bother.  Just don't try and make the lack of comms from Radio BF more than it is.  They just don't do that sort of thing.  It doesn't reflect a lack of of appreciation or health of the business or difficulties with the patch.  It is just how these guys work.  You don't have to like it, but you also don't need to create some bizarre rationalizations for why.  They just don't do it and never really have.

A depressing side-effect of this patch-fix dragging out is that no final testing and balacing of the future modules can be done until BFC has found a proper fix for the V4 update.

If the patch will change the AI behavior again then the scenarios/campaigns will need some additional testing/ tweaking ones the patch is done.

Resulting in no new modules being released either right now...we might be in for quite a wait...:(

26 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Doesn't have to be if we can all just take it down a notch...I did say all before someone starts getting into the who said what first thing.  There is only one issue here.  Folks would like to know the status of the 4.0 patch.  Period.  I can't give that to you.  All I can do is note that some of the supposition as to why it isn't out that has been remarked upon is wrong.  Sorry, wish I could do more.

@Trasher It is taking longer than expected.  :D  but that is only because folks didn't take into account that it was Steve posting about timing.....

Edited by sburke

9 minutes ago, sburke said:

Doesn't have to be if we can all just take it down a notch...I did say all before someone starts getting into the who said what first thing.  There is only one issue here.  Folks would like to know the status of the 4.0 patch.  Period.  I can't give that to you.  All I can do is note that some of the supposition as to why it isn't out that has been remarked upon is wrong.  Sorry, wish I could do more.

I appreciate you're taking the time to answer and taking the flak. Ianl tries to do the same in his own clumsy way. ☺ i know you guys mean well, but really guys how long do we have to wait for some decent update? For crying out loud, even the news that the modules will be released on the 2nd of February 2019 would be welcome...

Edited by Aragorn2002

18 minutes ago, sburke said:

whatever.   You make unsupported accusations.  I give at least circumstantial evidence to the contrary.  You give nothing but indignant responses to being asked to provide at least some kind of information to back up your claims including the really stupid one of suggesting you'll have to pay for a patch which BF has never charged for.  I'd also watch that location note of smashing delusional fanboys - BF has shown very little tolerance for that kind of attitude.  Your choice, but I at least gave you a heads up.

Like I said, provide an actual argument and I’ll bother to actually engage it. The Baghdad Bob routine you are pulling isn’t an argument “the 4.0 patch is coming guys, ignore the tanks rolling behind me.”  

Also lmao did you just try and throw out a little threat? Oh no I might get banned from an Internet forum, 😭 if it’s so offensive, I’ll remove it. Wouldn’t want to offend the real snowflakes, as @IanL would say

It took @Rinaldi and @IICptMillerII pointing out the 4.0 glitch for it to even be acknowledged. Gotta wonder if this whole issue could have been avoided if BFC hired some competent beta testers off indeed. 

Edited by sid_burn

17 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

A depressing side-effect of this patch-fix dragging out is that no final testing and balacing of the future modules can be done until BFC has found a proper fix for the V4 update.

If the patch will change the AI behavior again then the scenarios/campaigns will need some additional testing/ tweaking ones the patch is done.

Resulting in no new modules being released either right now...we might be in for quite a wait...:(

That's what i fear too.

Just now, sid_burn said:

Like I said, provide an actual argument and I’ll bother to actually engage it. The Baghdad Bob routine you are pulling isn’t an argument “the 4.0 patch is coming guys, ignore the tanks rolling behind me.”  

Also lmao did you just try and throw out a little threat? Oh no I might get banned from an Internet forum, 😭

It took @Rinaldi and @IICptMillerII pointing out the 4.0 glitch for it to even be acknowledged. Gotta wonder if this whole issue could have been avoided if BFC hired some competent beta testers off indeed. 

it was not a threat- at least not from me.  It was a simple notification that you are pushing a button that BF has been known to be short of patience with.  As to the "competency of beta testers"  if that was meant to get under my skin it is pretty laughable.  Come back at me in a few years when you mature a bit and your put downs (hopefully) get a little better.

2 minutes ago, sburke said:

Come back at me in a few years when you mature a bit and your put downs (hopefully) get a little better.

I’m not sure you want me to do that. Think if I leave and come back in 5 years, how many more issues will @Rinaldi and @IICptMillerII have discovered in that time that you weren’t able to find? 

Hey no fair, there are two of them.... and how many did I find that they may not have?!!!!  Tons I tell you!  I am the world's best bug finder!  Folks are even saying I should get a Nobel prize, not me but people are saying …. Nobel, Nobel!

Funny that you didn't suggest that you would find them through.....

Edited by sburke

3 minutes ago, sburke said:

Hey no fair, there are two of them.... and how many did I find that they may not have?!!!!  Tons I tell you!  I am the world's best bug finder!  Folks are even saying I should get a Nobel prize, not me but people are saying …. Nobel, Nobel!

😆

Lighten up, guys. Let's stop getting personal. BF is to blame for the lousy communication. Let's not take it out on each other.

Edited by Aragorn2002

11 minutes ago, sburke said:

Funny that you didn't suggest that you would find them through.....

Sadly “Sid_Burn” isn’t some sort of complicated anagram for “battlefront developer” and so I avoid promising what I can’t deliver. 😏

3 hours ago, sburke said:

...Steve really sucks at timeline projections.  I mean reaalllllly sucks.

Heh. In that case, I truly sympathize with him. I began to notice a few years ago that nearly everything that I do was starting to take three or four times as long as it used to and that I had expected it to continue to do. Now, I don't know how old exactly Steve & Charles are, but giving that they have been working on CM for well over 20 years and that they had already been in the business long enough to have considerable experience in it, I'd hazard the guess that they are starting to get into that twilight area where they notice that gravity has increased strangely and that the clocks run faster. So have patience with us old codgers. You may wind up someday looking at life through this end of the telescope too. If you don't wander into an open manhole first.

:D

Michael

1 hour ago, Trasher said:

I'll have to disagree, infantry become absolutely useless once they start taking indirect fire.

Given that that is one of the chief purposes of artillery, I find it just a little hard to call that unrealistic. It may be frustrating to players that they cannot do something that they had been accustomed to doing, but that alone does not make it unrealistic. You may need to adjust your planning and tactics, and I can understand that some players may find that uncomfortable. But I for one have always felt that the troopers in CM were always quite a bit more superhuman than the ones on the battlefield, so for me, the change is at least in the right direction if in need of a little tuning.

Michael

1 minute ago, Michael Emrys said:

Given that that is one of the chief purposes of artillery, I find it just a little hard to call that unrealistic. It may be frustrating to players that they cannot do something that they had been accustomed to doing, but that alone does not make it unrealistic. You may need to adjust your planning and tactics, and I can understand that some players may find that uncomfortable. But I for one have always felt that the troopers in CM were always quite a bit more superhuman than the ones on the battlefield, so for me, the change is at least in the right direction if in need of a little tuning.

Michael

Partially agree but not to the extent of the behavior in 4.0.  With relatively little arty you can get troops to abandon their defenses.  The problem in 3.0 was the suppressive effects weren't really working.  It was fine that infantry didn't abandon their foxholes, but they didn't stay suppressed by incoming fire even to keep their heads down.  Now you can drop a few 81mm mortar rounds and suddenly folks want to go sunbathing in the grass.  To your point the balance act is somewhere in between and also has to accommodate other possible reactions.