AI Support Targets (red)/(blue)

Kinophile

I've struggled to find a suicide bomber concept that both works and won't prompt rage quits by those who don't like 'First Turn Surprises'.

I thought my idea of assigning the explody property of a VBIED to the driver (in part at least), allowing him to be used dismounted as a suicide bomber (with reduced blast effects), had some merit.....I reckon they should dump the Spy Team in the car too while they are at it, what's he for anyway?

But this is one for Steve & Co. not mere editor dabbling mortals like us.  ;)

PS - Triggers and VBIEDs are suddenly going to make this game a lot more lively for Blue.....You have been warned!  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I've been experimenting around with this for some scenarios.  I have found it helps to set the supply of a spotter or trigger-man to Severe.  I think the AI is less likely to shoot if they have less ammo.  And if they do decide to shoot they can't shoot for multiple turns.

Once you have access to the v4 engine features you can set the tiggerman's AI group up with an ambush stance order to keep him from firing. I have not tired SF1 so I am not 100% sure that ability is no there. I imagine that after some experimentation you could get the trigger man to hold fire in a way you want. I have not tried that either.

9 minutes ago, IanL said:

Once you have access to the v4 engine features you can set the tiggerman's AI group up with an ambush stance order to keep him from firing. I have not tired SF1 so I am not 100% sure that ability is no there. I imagine that after some experimentation you could get the trigger man to hold fire in a way you want. I have not tried that either.

CMSF1 has ambush however the AI will sometimes ambush with their assault rifle instead of with the trigger device, take return fire and become KIA with the device never getting detonated.  But yes with experimenting around you can get a good result.  I'm kind of leaning towards the 4.0 AI area target order and let him unload what he has of the Severe supply into the dirt.  Then get on with the mission.  Really looking forward to Engine 4.0 CMSF2.        

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - If I could manually place units in alternative setups for each AI plan I would do so, but I can't.

I was initially confused then realised you're right- the physical position on the map doesn't change, but you can adjust their orders out from those positions. 

That would definitely be ideal, as an editor feature - to have different map positions per plan, not just different orders. 

Triggering spawns (off AI triggers, not static reinf timings, even with variability) would be my priority though. 

Triggers should really have their own section and not be muddled in with Terrain objectives. 

Edited by kinophile