• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on trying to rescue incapacitated wounded soldiers and/or their weapons from a minefield?

My conclusion is that it is better to leave them, perhaps only risk going in if its a key weapon like portable AT weapons/demo charges.

Well, if you have an engineer, they can Mark Mines. Once in the minefield, (which is where they end up after doing that command), have them SLOW back out the same way they came. Unless you want them to provide buddy aid and possibly get the weapons. Otherwise, have the desired unit Slow into the action spot...following the same path that the engineers took. (I'm not sure that matters. But I'm not sure it doesn't.)

If no engineers, then toss a demo charge in there. You may lose the weapons, though. 

If nothing else, find some volunteers. ;)

Another less elegant solution:

If it's an AP mine field, run some tracked vehicles through square. Each will take track damage but also detonate some of the mines. If you detonate enough mines, the signpost will change to green, showing it's now safe to enter.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

If it's an AP mine field, run some tracked vehicles through square. Each will take track damage but also detonate some of the mines. If you detonate enough mines, the signpost will change to green, showing it's now safe to enter.

Going to be pretty intense on the nerves when there is no way to know if there are AT mines around as well.

Edited by The_MonkeyKing

56 minutes ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

Going to be pretty intense on the nerves when there is no way to know if there are AT mines around as well.

Yes.  A mixed minefield will make things exciting.  :D  I think @c3k is influencing @Bulletpoint.  :lol:  

50 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Yes.  A mixed minefield will make things exciting.  :D  I think @c3k is influencing @Bulletpoint.  :lol:  

Well, perhaps. I do believe his system may be better, especially in a mixed minefield and using a truck filled with 2 or 3 squads. The little survivors can scramble around setting off any extra mines. ;)

44 minutes ago, c3k said:

Well, perhaps. I do believe his system may be better, especially in a mixed minefield and using a truck filled with 2 or 3 squads. The little survivors can scramble around setting off any extra mines. ;)

Are you sure you did not command a penal battalion in a previous Life ?

Good old Stalin would have loved this kind entusiasm i'm sure ;)

Before you get too bloodthirsty, I'd like to add that usually a tank is not destroyed by setting off an AP mine, it's merely immobilised :)

Edited by Bulletpoint

18 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I will keep that in mind. :o

19 hours ago, c3k said:

Well, if you have an engineer, they can Mark Mines. Once in the minefield, (which is where they end up after doing that command), have them SLOW back out the same way they came. Unless you want them to provide buddy aid and possibly get the weapons. Otherwise, have the desired unit Slow into the action spot...following the same path that the engineers took. (I'm not sure that matters. But I'm not sure it doesn't.)

If no engineers, then toss a demo charge in there. You may lose the weapons, though. 

If nothing else, find some volunteers. ;)

Ok, thanks for the detailed reply

13 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

Are you sure you did not command a penal battalion in a previous Life ?

Good old Stalin would have loved this kind entusiasm i'm sure ;)

Penal battalions, a new feature in proposed Red Thunder module (for the Soviets and the Nazi's) :mellow:

10 hours ago, c3k said:

Yeah...and if they have a big enough crew, dismount them and have them do the polka! YEAH! Victory Mine Dance. 

;)

With polka music or more NKVD style? ;)

Edited by Ales Dvorak