Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Battlefront.com

      Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

      Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

      -showui

      Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

      Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

      We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Hardradi

CMBN persistent crash Scottish Corridor Campaign, Hansel and Gretel

Recommended Posts

I appear to have stumbled across a persistent crash in the 3rd battle of the Scottish Corridor Campaign. The battle is called Hansel and Gretel.

It crashes at 5 minutes into the battle every time. I have also re-tried from save from the earlier 2nd battle and had the same crash at the same point in time.

Save game(s) are available if someone wants a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know the details of this campaign, but as a starting point, what version of CMBN are you running ? What modules/battle packs do you have installed and activated ? If you have version 4.0, did you use the 'full' 4.0 installer (which installs just about everything) or was this installed utilizing separate installers for each module/battle pack ?

Are you running this on a Mac or a PC ? Is this a laptop or a desktop ?  If it is a PC, then what version of Windows, what video card and what driver do you have installed ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I don't know the details of this campaign, but as a starting point, what version of CMBN are you running ? What modules/battle packs do you have installed and activated ? If you have version 4.0, did you use the 'full' 4.0 installer (which installs just about everything) or was this installed utilizing separate installers for each module/battle pack ?

Are you running this on a Mac or a PC ? Is this a laptop or a desktop ?  If it is a PC, then what version of Windows, what video card and what driver do you have installed ?

PC, Windows 7.

V4.0 full installation. CMBN: have Commonwealth, Market Garden, Battle Pack and Vehicle Pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you send/link the files and I'll check it out with what I have. My installs are basically the 'full' 4.0 installers, but I could install another instance using the separate installers if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to take so long to look at this. I loaded up the saved campaign on my 'full 4.0 installation' of CMBN and was able to play it for 28 minutes without issue (saved the game at that point). I played the game in a fairly passive manner, not issuing a lot of or detailed commands. 

I played this on a PC with Windows 7 64-bit and an i5 2500k with 16GB of RAM and a GeForce GTX 770 video card (with NOT the latest drivers). Everything played fine and I even played it twice; the first time for about 6 minutes before quitting the game... I had forgotten when exactly you were experiencing the crashing, so I had to load it up again and play for a bit longer to make sure I was duplicating the issue.

This install should have been a '4.0 full' installer, but I can double-check on another installation that I'm fairly certain would also be that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Schrull, appreciate the follow up very much.

It was consistently crashing at 5 minutes into the battle for me. Windows 7, i7, 3070k with 16Gig of RA,. had two graphics cards, so not likely to be the issue. That means there must be something wrong with my "4.00 full".  Aargghh

If I could figure out how to give you a rep point I would give you one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PIATpunk said:

Disable SLI if you mean you have two graphics cards...

No, I mean I have had two separate graphics cards a 660 and now a 1070.

Cheers P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hardradi said:

If I could figure out how to give you a rep point I would give you one.

Go to the bottom right of Schrullenhaft's post and hold your mouse cursor over the heart. An upvote will appear. Click on it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hardradi

I'm still on v. 3.12 and I don't have the vehicle pack. The scenario works on my end.

Since your crash happens at exactly 5 minutes, I don't think it's a hardware problem. I could imagine it's because the Germans get some reinforcement at that time. It's the earliest possible reinforcement arrival time.

To test this, I loaded the scenario a couple of times and ran it for 4 minutes, then checking what the Germans had. Then I ran it again for 6 minutes and ceased fire to check again what they had. It doesn't seem like they get any new on-map units, but it may be that they get new off-board artillery.

If the game then tries to load this new asset, but there's a problem with the data files, this might cause the crash.

The problems might be caused by mods, or by OOB changes since the scottish Coridor campaign was made.

Try disabling all your mods and see if the crash still happens. 

If it does, try uninstalling the whole game completely, and then reinstalling it from the 4.0 master installer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/02/2018 at 11:57 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

Go to the bottom right of Schrullenhaft's post and hold your mouse cursor over the heart. An upvote will appear. Click on it. :)

Cheers, right in front of me. :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

@Hardradi

I'm still on v. 3.12 and I don't have the vehicle pack. The scenario works on my end.

Since your crash happens at exactly 5 minutes, I don't think it's a hardware problem. I could imagine it's because the Germans get some reinforcement at that time. It's the earliest possible reinforcement arrival time.

To test this, I loaded the scenario a couple of times and ran it for 4 minutes, then checking what the Germans had. Then I ran it again for 6 minutes and ceased fire to check again what they had. It doesn't seem like they get any new on-map units, but it may be that they get new off-board artillery.

If the game then tries to load this new asset, but there's a problem with the data files, this might cause the crash.

The problems might be caused by mods, or by OOB changes since the scottish Coridor campaign was made.

Try disabling all your mods and see if the crash still happens. 

If it does, try uninstalling the whole game completely, and then reinstalling it from the 4.0 master installer.

Thanks Bulletpoint. I am pretty sure I tried removing all mods when it first happened (many months ago) but I will try again and report back if it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lo and behold, removing the mods worked. I am sure I tried this.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Don't know my head from my arse anymore. Most be time to quite this skull f*%%%^ job I am in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2018 at 2:25 AM, Hardradi said:

Lo and behold, removing the mods worked. I am sure I tried this.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Don't know my head from my arse anymore. Most be time to quite this skull f*%%%^ job I am in.

Don't worry, happens to everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Don't worry, happens to everyone.

I know...but I did quit my job. :D I will let them deal with all the hard and urgent stuff now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hardradi said:

I know...but I did quit my job. :D I will let them deal with all the hard and urgent stuff now.

I am jealous. I contemplate that several times a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×