Black Sea II

Kinophile

Took your advice and what one finds via Google is quite eye-opening.  Eg:

"Despite clear historical evidence showing that the United States was established as a republic and not a democracy, there is still confusion regarding the difference between these two very different systems of government. Some confusion stems because the word "democracy" is used to describe both a "type" and a "form" of government. As a "type" of government, it means that generally free elections are held periodically, which America has. But, as a "form" of government, it means rule by the majority, which America does not have; America is a republic."

http://www.foundingfatherquotes.com/articles/22

http://www.americantraditions.org/Articles/Why Our Founders Feared a Democracy.htm

11 hours ago, HerrTom said:

Plug in CM:RT and CM:FB into a single game, and grab formations from either.

+1  This.  It would be very cool to have late war US, Commonwealth and Soviets in the same game title.  Maybe as a battle pack just porting the CMRT Soviet TOE into CMFB or into CMFI.  Charge whatever a fair price is to make that work.  Think of all the early cold war conflicts and brush wars that could be created / modded by the community.  Fulda Gap, Korea, Suez Crisis, French in Vietnam, 1948 Arab Israeli war, Cuban Revolution, numerous Coup d'etats..................          

7 hours ago, Gazmaps said:

Its that sort of ignorant opinion and dismissal that's seen hundreds of thousands if not millions of people killed since 1991 in the name of democracy without any push back whatsoever.

Wow. So, you might have noticed that I only said that democracy was not imposed on Lybia or Syria. And your examples of support for locals fighting for democracy (or at least the end of a brutal dictator) in Syria and those supporting locals in Lybia are not forcing anything. I think we have different definitions of forced. Honestly even in Iraq I have some issues with claims that democracy being force but for the purposes of this discussion I'll concede that.

As for hundreds of thousands killed I think you need to reexamine who did the killing. While I am fairly critical of some decisions regarding the Iraq invasion responsibility of for the killing needs to rest with the killers.

Far more people have been "slaughtered" as you put it since Ghaddafi / Saddam were deposed than ever under their regimes. 

That Arab spring in Libya was anything but a spontaneous revolt.

The UK I know for certain and I'm guessing by association the US and France where actively engaged with intelligence collection operations 6 months prior - well above the normal level including covert reconnaissance and I suspect co-ordination of various anti establishment groups.

Yeah, right. Now who is making ignorant comments. Do not mistake western support for or contact with local civil leadership with nefarious acts. The concept that there is a vast conspiracy against Russia is just silly. The west knows that free people are peaceful people and free people are good customers. Sure our corporations don't always behave like they should but that is a far cry from purposefully keeping a dictator in power.

The same sort of ignorant dismissal is found amongst the Islamic Fundamentalists - its questionable which is more dangerous and damaging.

?? I have no idea what you are on about - I'm guessing I probably don't want to know since I feel like you are about to compare me to a terrorist :D

7 hours ago, sburke said:

stop with the politics or it will end as it usually does-  the thread will get closed.

Yes, I totally support closing this thread. Probably should have been yesterday.

7 hours ago, kinophile said:

To clarify, I'm bunching Republic under democratic systems. Same with Parliamentary Republic. 

Which is correct.  In my opinion unnecessary - the clarification I mean.

To judge if a country is democratic you should *not* look at the name of the country or the name they use for their system. You have to look at the freedom of the people to discuss their views, politics and to choose their representatives.

If we just looked at names we would call North Korea a democracy and that would be silly :D

Edited by IanL
clarity

Interestingly, the actual political system in China is democratic in base principle, as a concept, but it's almost Athenian - the vote exists yet it is constricted to such a small group that it cannot be truly representative of the populace at large. And then there is the little matter of who controls the army... Ironically, the military is controlled by "elected" civilians, yet it is used against the general population for the benefit of that one group, thus corrupting the actual democratic function of the system. 

The pity if China is that corruption of democratic function is deliberately built in at every turn, from the ground up. For each possibility of true accountability to popular votes there is a Party mechanism to usurp, prevent, distort or simply block that from happening. 

The US's constitution is deliberately and specifically (and IMO, brilliantly) designed to prevent such a situation arising. 

I have read the notes, Square head :)

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

This is all very interesting (seriously, my degree is in history so I'm not being snide!) but totally off topic.  Kindly go back to the on topic points of this thread or I'll let it rest in peace ;)

Steve

Please based Steve, let it end. Burn it down.

I never thought an entire forum could go to actual s*** in a single thread, but this thread has proven me wrong. What a wild ride.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:48 AM, Gazmaps said:

When has that stopped the west from trying Iraq, Libya, Syria.......democracy is just a contemporary motivational tool - like religion was in the crusades

^  You don't do that, and then do this:

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:49 AM, Gazmaps said:

But back on topic - Id be curios to see how battlefront do "Space Lobsters"!!!!!! then do BS2....

Knock off that schoolyard stuff.

14 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

Please based Steve, let it end. Burn it down.

I never thought an entire forum could go to actual s*** in a single thread, but this thread has proven me wrong. What a wild ride.

Nah, this is mild.  Go back and read threads where people were seriously trying to have us believe that Ukrainian "separatists" were getting their T-90s from eBay, not Mother Russia.  Ah, fun times! 

Obviously this thread is not going to straighten out, so I'm closing it.

Steve