How accurate *is* CMBS?

robertiv

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Here's the account I read, it's from a FB account, allegedly the poster has some connections:

The sheer amount of firepower America can bring to bear is always impressive. God bless the USA, here’s to sending many more Russian drones back to Russia. It’s a shame their “vacation” had to be ruined ;)

Edited by sid_burn

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

TBH I've never watched the video.....I found the link at Sturgeon's House, posted by someone who's tended to be reliable, took it for what it is.  Make of it what you will. 

It's just a patriotic song with some military video in it.  I've actually seen it before. Toby, old boy, is popular around these parts.  They play his music at the high school football games, the County Fair, the rodeo etc .............      

On 04/04/2018 at 9:33 PM, IMHO said:

Local warlord raised Arab militia for a raid against Kurdish controlled installations and bribed or promised mountains of gold to some Russian PMCs to join in.

So how many Wagner troops in total went rogue in this more modern remake of Kelly's Heroes? As they are mercenaries I suppose that is what they do best, but it doesn't inspire confidence how easily swayed they are from the miltary line of command.

Edited by Wicky

I do not really know how accurate BS is, as it never happened (thankfully). However, I do remember playing a Cold War mod (not THE cold war mod) for Call to Arms, where all the soldiers were in NBC gear. It was just flavour and I generally don't like Call to Arms, especially their business model. However, I am getting hopelessly off-topic:

NBC, where is it? Considering that BS pits two NBC capitals of the world against each other, I would assume it to be a concern. I hear that NBC training is a pain, and mandatory. Fallout from tactical nukes, viral agents and good old Willie Pete, lingering around the battlefield. It would certainly bring a whole new layer of gameplay. Maybe add it to Shock Force 2, as well?

I understand that that's not a focus of CM, and that's fine. Just having dark dreams of decontamination teams, HAZMAT vehicles, squads vanishing in ghost towns, and abandoned AFVs littering "the zone." You'd eventually stop worrying and love the bomb.

Edited by DerKommissar

47 minutes ago, Wicky said:

So how many Wagner troops in total went rogue in this more modern remake of Kelly's Heroes? As they are mercenaries I suppose that is what they do best, but it doesn't inspire confidence how easily swayed they are from the miltary line of command.

Yeah, that sort of thing could never happen with western PMCs.  :rolleyes:

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-dark-truth-about-blackwater/

46 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

I understand that that's not a focus of CM, and that's fine. Just having dark dreams of decontamination teams, HAZMAT vehicles, squads vanishing in ghost towns, and abandoned AFVs littering "the zone." You'd eventually stop worrying and love the bomb.

Everything but the NBC gear is pretty much doable in the editor right now.....I have been doing some simple experiments along these very lines, inspired by a certain 'Power-Plant', while I still have the mods installed.  ;)

18 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yeah, that sort of thing could never happen with western PMCs.  :rolleyes:

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-dark-truth-about-blackwater/

Odd that it has been reported that Wagner Mercs have an reward / incentive to take back certain sites (from 2017) https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/world/middleeast/russia-syria-oil-isis.html

"Two Russian companies received contracts under this policy by this time, with one employing the Wagner Group to secure those sites from the militants. Later, it was revealed that the company would receive 25 percent of the proceeds from oil and gas production at fields its PMCs captured and secured from ISIL."

I wonder if IMHO's version has it back to front and that Wagner group bods led local warlords / militia astray with mucho golden promises if sites across river could be secured or at minimum it was more mutually advantageous, and less 'poor rogue Russians led astray' by crafty locals.

According to Ruslan Pukhov, the director of the Moscow-based Centre for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies  re. Wagner PMC “these people are highly paid, and knew what they were getting into”.

• 9 months later...
On 4/7/2018 at 6:52 PM, Wicky said:

I wonder if IMHO's version has it back to front and that Wagner group bods led local warlords / militia astray with mucho golden promises if sites across river could be secured or at minimum it was more mutually advantageous, and less 'poor rogue Russians led astray' by crafty locals.

Do you have any information to prove your point or it's just a random speculation?

I have only recently returned to playing CMBS. I originally had the same experience as others have noted. The battlefield being so deadly just did not seem to be very playable.

I found the change from WW2 to CMSF1 not to be very jarring. But from CMSF1 to CMBS was quite a difference. I have always been patient and slow while working my way through my set ups and turns, employing recon and observation before committing follow on forces.

I thought to try CMBS once again as I was enjoying CMSF2  so much. Once more it did not feel right. It occurred to me that perhaps I should try even more recon and more thoughtfulness in planning and execution. Testing the new equipment also helped along with proceeding much more stealthily.

The result is that I am very much enjoying CMBS now that I have more of a handle on how it should be played. 

Edited by z1812

We will never have  the real feel of a battle.  We do not lose  territory, we do not have towns destroyed.  No one is killed, injured,or maimed. It does not cast billions of euro dollars or US. With out these the cost, the price of war,  finality of war, is not endured.   This is  good because we want to enjoy it, and control it and learn from.  As far as it goes CMBS give us a great game experience, that can be repeatable or nearly always different. This is  a game that is different than any other in the right ways.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:21 PM, Wicky said:

Did you read the link?

Yepp. Syria part is a shameless rewrite of two Russian publications referenced in NYT article - RBC and Fontanka.ru. And while engaged in copy-pasting Andrey Kramer of NYT was rather creative with what is accentuated in the texts. If you pay attention to the careful wording of his:

• "two Russian companies are known to have received contracts..." - here we have the hard facts from the Russian publications
  • "The agreements, made with the Syrian government, are seen as incentives..." - here we have his "value added" as there are no statements in the Russian originals these incentives did actually exist

He boldly omitted the fact that phosphates mining operation was originally promised to Iranians and was given to the Russian company in the very last minute. Should it be mentioned in NYT article it would have put under question Andrew Kramer's claim of "monies for square miles" deal.

Edited by IMHO

On 1/18/2019 at 10:21 PM, Wicky said:

Did you read the link?

Read this. NYT shamelessly lifts an article from two Russian texts and even gets a Pulitzer for it. But the editorial standards were not compromised as NYT put the link onto the Russian originals and NYT reporter took a pain to contact all the sources discovered by Russian correspondents :D

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stevenperlberg/how-a-pulitzer-winning-new-york-times-story-pulled-from-a#.pae8RQa4E

PS By the way this was also Andrew Kramer who wrote the article you referenced. Seems like that's regular trade of his :D

Edited by IMHO