Ammo Sharing with Off-Map Units?

I'm wondering if this is a bug or intended behavior I've just never noticed before. In the CMFI scenario "Fight at Vallebruca," the Americans start with one on-map 60mm mortar team. The team is carrying 32 rounds, but the mortar shows 64 available. No one else on the map is carrying those 32 rounds. I'm able to fire all of them. Then, a few minutes later, the Americans get reinforcements, including another 60mm mortar team. And the extra rounds that the first team previous used, are already deducted from the number of shells the second team is carrying. It seems that they were sharing their ammo, even though they were not on the map yet. Is this normal?

(there are two set-up zones for the Americans on that map, and I found that the original mortar team gets the extra ammo only if they're deployed in one of them, where the second mortar team later comes it. So again it seems like the game is assuming the second team is hanging out just off the map, sharing its ammo)