Ok just a little venting....

Been around since the beginning days buying and following Charles and the gang since Avalon Hill (Flight Commander II) days and later Combat Mission Beyond Overlord. Have had a number of accounts and have purchased most of their modules and titles. Come back every year or so, but  I must say as this licensing has been more an more difficult. I spend more time trying to set up new CPU's or upgrades to my titles that the enjoyment I get is overwhelmed by the digging and reading and searching for instructions for updates. 

For the LOVE OF GOD please just let us BUY one UPDATE or SUBSCRIPTION to your site/games. It is ridiculous for the amount of time old grognards like myself have to go through to enjoy these treasured programs. 

Ok vent over 

Going to see my IT guys to set up my machine AGAIN to get my programs working. I HATE steam, but boy this if any is the program/platform to have for Battlefront. 

hehe your age is showing there.  I have visions of my father threatening to toss his Christmas present VCR out onto the lawn when he couldn't figure out the instructions.  :D  

I reload and relicense CM as much if not more than most here.  Between beta testing, upgrading my PC, doing new hard drive configurations etc and CM has gotten pretty darn easy.You download the full installer and you use the activate short cuts for the modules you have purchased.  If you are having to change things on your machine to get it working, you are likely f**king up your machine independently of the game.  As one who is getting close to retirement I sympathize.  I am sure I'll be there soon enough...

10 hours ago, Broadsword56 said:

Ahhh, that' s nothin. I remember when we PC gamers routinely had to manually add lines of code to our config.sys and autoexec.bat system files, just to be able to boot up a game and have it run with the limited memory that existed on machines of 25+ years ago... 

Oh man, yeah. And each game had specific requirements, so I made a batch file that let me choose the configuration of drivers, buffers, etc... 

press 1 for general use

2 for Harpoon,

3 for Windows 3.11..

omg...so glad I don’t have to bother with that crap any more. 

On 2018-01-23 at 10:58 AM, kraze said:

THAT'S nothing.

Spending time rewinding a tape to find a correct gap - then loading games and software for 4 minutes only to get a random tape read error and start all over again.

:lol: oh yes, I remember that too. 4 minutes was a pretty short load time,  my recollection was closer to 20. And I don’t think that was the impatience of youth! 

On 1/22/2018 at 9:54 PM, Broadsword56 said:

Ahhh, that' s nothin. I remember when we PC gamers routinely had to manually add lines of code to our config.sys and autoexec.bat system files, just to be able to boot up a game and have it run with the limited memory that existed on machines of 25+ years ago... 

Lol 35 years of Computer wargaming for me :) Old dude.  

Agreed. I've just given up on trying to reinstall the game(s). I've lost a few of my key codes and the ones I do have don't seem to work.

It's a major bummer because I've been playing this game since the very first incarnation and I've purchased every single WW2 game and module they've put out.

I would be willing to spend even more money for an all-in-one install. As it is, I really have no idea where to begin with a reinstall and I honestly don't have the patience.

It is such a great game . . . but I really have to weigh the fun of playing with the frustration of TRYING to play.

Sorry that makes no sense. Installing is easy. The new v4 installers are all in one for each game. Support can help you get reconnected with your keys and guide you through any difficulties you run into.

Read the instructions, don't take drastic actions on your own and follow the advice from support. 

You can be playing in no time.

Is there an instruction manual for playing via email? I've played CMBN, CMFI, and the CMFB demo quite a bit, but I don't have a clue as to whether the email version is playable. I'm on a Mac, if it matters. Do both players have to use the same platform? 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, Broadsword56 said:

I once called tech support for that stuff to a number...in Redmond, Washington. I thought I could improve my code. Instead, the guy asked me to tell him what -I- had done to get such a good config.sys/autexec.bat memory setup. I wonder if Gates feels he owes me royalties??? ;)

Good ol' floppies. Those little 3 1/2 disks were the cat's meow. Pretty much high tech, right there.

Installing. If you have a valid code, if nothing else just contact Tech Support. Get the Master Installer. Use your code to unlock the portion of the Master Installer you've purchased access to.

(Copy the Master Installer to a thumbdrive. Copy your code(s) to a text file. Stick THAT on the thumbdrive, too. Now you've got a mobile CM library.)

4 hours ago, M5Fan said:

Is there an instruction manual for playing via email? I've played CMBN, CMFI, and the CMFB demo quite a bit, but I don't have a clue as to whether the email version is playable. I'm on a Mac, if it matters. Do both players have to use the same platform?

Well, this is a bit off topic but a first post so let's not fuss too much. There is the FAQ thread here:

Check out the New To Multiplayer section for tools that help with turn management and sources of opponents.

On 23.1.2018 at 2:50 PM, Bud Backer said:

Oh man, yeah. And each game had specific requirements, so I made a batch file that let me choose the configuration of drivers, buffers, etc... 

press 1 for general use

2 for Harpoon,

3 for Windows 3.11..

omg...so glad I don’t have to bother with that crap any more. 

My favourite was „ Hidden and Dangerous“  back then. But, boy, I went to extremes to get it running.

And I well remember the bad ol’e times, when we had to fight for every single kB in the start.bat to get them launched.

On 1/22/2018 at 3:06 PM, Tactical Wargamer said:

Well since I'm not really playing any BFC products for the time being where did you guys get a working copy from FC II? Would love to try that baby again. At least I had to only install once with 2 patches :)

Easy as pie that one. 

Tactical Wargamer, check your PM's I sent you something you will want to have a look at in regards to Dos Box FCII.

Flight Commander II fans should check out this site for scenarios for FCII: http://hagler11.com/fc2/index.html 

This guy used the FC Mission builder to create lots of battles.  Air battles from History channel 'Dog Fights' to scenarios converted from air combat board games like Air Superiority / Air Strike, etc, for use in FCII.  As well there are links for Over the Reich and Achtung Spitfire.  Impressive and very cool actually.

Edited by Blazing 88's

On 1/28/2018 at 5:34 PM, IanL said:

Sorry that makes no sense. Installing is easy. The new v4 installers are all in one for each game. Support can help you get reconnected with your keys and guide you through any difficulties you run into.

Read the instructions, don't take drastic actions on your own and follow the advice from support. 

You can be playing in no time.

Well, I have been doing it ... at least 3 times.It took hours for all my games getting the serial numbers and having some refreshed (re. over installing lol). I think though I am so behind I have tried but no luck. Support can't find a lot I find. I have given them my serial numbers and they can't seem to tell me which account they are tied to. Their fraud protection won't' let me use any of my USA credit cards outside of the US.....Not to mention I find the website difficult to navigate. Even my IT guys took 30 minutes to piece all my emails over the years to get one game running lol....

4 hours ago, Blazing 88's said:

As well there are links for Over the Reich and Achtung Spitfire.  Impressive and very cool actually.

Whatwhatwhat? “Over the Reich” and “Achtung Spitfire”?

Sent me too, please. They are among the best games, I never played.

Well, I pushed some Achtung Spitfire counters around, but not really.