Fire mission off target

I'm not sure how the potential bugs should be reported, so I'm just going to post here. The mortar fire mission in my CMFI game is completely off target. To the point that I'm thinking, it could be a bug. The spotter for the mortars is a HQ unit. The spotting rounds were falling very close to my units, but I though it wold be corrected. Is it a intentional simulation of military SNAFU or could that be a bug?

Mortars.png

Looks bad.

Does the spotter have LOS to his target and/or to the area they're impacting?

Being pinned, rattled, and green and without radio comms all don't help. (No radio in the equipment panel, but a radio command icon in the "in command" panel. Hmm.)

7 minutes ago, General Liederkranz said:

I don’t think it’s the Pin but the casualty changing the radio status. It looks like the radio operator was killed in betweeen the two screenshots. In my experience when that happens, the radio disappears from the unit’s inventory, but as long as they don’t move they can still keep radio C2. 

Agreed. (There's a pix or two floating around showing exactly that. Posted recently.)

The spotting rounds should not have allowed this to occur. What type of mission was it? Emergency has poor accuracy, for example, but still rains down.

Yes, the radio operator became a casualty after nearby impacting round. There're no trees between the spotters and the target area, which is about 260 meters away. You can see that the rounds land directly on the spotting team. The mission type is: area, heavy, long, general, immediate.

Sin_t_tulo.png

47 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

It has nothing to do with the radio becoming a casualty. The reason the fire mission was off target is because the spotter is green, rattled, and taking direct fire. All that results in a poorly called fire mission. 

This isn't a bug. Everything is working correctly. 

The spotter become rattled and under fire, only after he directed the fire mission on himself. The spotting rounds were falling consistently in one area ( completely off target ). 

image.thumb.png.bfc2d0e02902c784506adebe216dc5d0.png

So does it mean, that a green spotter is completely unable to correct the fire mission, even after a long spotting ( it took him about 10 minutes )?

Edited by Ivanov

42 minutes ago, Ivanov said:

So does it mean, that a green spotter is completely unable to correct the fire mission, even after a long spotting ( it took him about 10 minutes )?

Another factor is that he is a Company HQ, not an Observer team. I haven't had much luck with HQ as spotters teams myself, so I usually buy at least a couple of Observers.

1 hour ago, Ivanov said:

No, it just means in this instance the spotter didn't do a good job and that resulted in a bad fire mission. You got bad luck. It happens. 

Nothing wrong with the game

26 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

No, it just means in this instance the spotter didn't do a good job and that resulted in a bad fire mission. You got bad luck. It happens. 

Nothing wrong with the game

Well if everything works as designed I'm happy. But shouldn't the spotter correct the fire mission after completely off spotting rounds, rather than allowing the mortars to fire on his own position?

11 minutes ago, Badger73 said:

Spotter's that die or lose radio contact can no longer adjust rounds.  Spotters pinned and rattled don't adjust rounds dependably anymore. 

Really bad luck indeed . . . :o

Right, but he was totally off mark while being safe and sound.

14 hours ago, Ivanov said:

<Snip>  The spotting rounds were falling consistently in one area ( completely off target ).   <Snip>     long spotting ( it took him about 10 minutes )?

Green experience spotters can call in accurate fire support on a target.  However a green spotter takes longer to FFE than more experienced spotters.  The experience of the tubes will also effect the FFE times.  I think the spotter, in your case, did not have a good line of sight.  The normal time spent on spotting is 2 or 3 minutes.  If the spotting went on for 10 minutes it sounds like the spotter was having problems and could not see to adjust.  I have not tested but I think after a certain amount of time, without seeing the spotting rounds, the AI takes a guess and FFE.  I will generally cancel a mission that spots for an excessive amount of time since this is an indicator of a problem.  Then you had the bad luck of it actually landing on the spotter.  

Sometimes, I am wondering if the Forward Observer is blind. The interface claims FO is having LOS on the target.

I am hearing, on the radio, messages like "fire perfect" whereas they have completely missed the target (it is a point target).
I am also cancelling fire mission in this case since FO seems incapable to correct his mistake.

This is in CMSF.

37 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

<snipped>

I am hearing, on the radio, messages like "fire perfect" whereas they have completely missed the target (it is a point target).

<snipped>

I suspect English is not your native language.  Please pardon my presumption and accept my apologies if that is not the case. 

The radio message you heard is, "Fire for effect.", NOT, "Fire perfect."

"Fire for effect" is a special radio message transmitted by the indirect fire direction center to the spotter of the fire mission.  It tells the spotter that the indirect firing unit is done firing spotting rounds and will now fire all the rounds requested by the original fire mission.  Either the spotting rounds were seen to hit the target area OR (in Combat Mission games) the spotter has provided no subsequent adjustment information because, a) the spotter really doesn't see where the rounds are landing very well OR, B) the spotter is dead, OR c) the spotter lost radio contact.  In all those cases, the firing unit will try to complete the mission as best it can per the original fire request using the spotting information it last received.  That's why  @MOS:96B2P said he cancels missions where spotting takes too long.