just to say: MERCI

Hello it will be a year now that I discovered CMBN and this forum and  is time to intervene to say thank you

I'm not the only one to do it but the repetition is good

Since my childhood I have a dream, a desire, to see with my eyes this battle that has rocked my childhood, imagining to travel the battlefield like a drone.

I was born in Falaise in 1970 and my family suffered the battle : 4 killed, the house bombed, the exodus on the road, the strafing of the bomber fighters, the artillery, the fighting but also after the battle, the destroyed houses, the burning vehicles and corpses littering the battlefield were all family meal conversations. Here in Normandie this was an important trauma.

It always impressed and interested me, in a word: fascinated. I constantly asked for clarification and to question civilians or soldiers who had experienced these events.

All the film reports on the subject, I watched them. I think I have seen ¾ images known from the battle.

I never stopped walking the battlefield, collecting vestiges and remaining some hours to imagine the events.

I used every means to immerse myself in this battle and the battles of the second world war in general. Movies, books and even games

Squad leader then Close Combat  that I practiced  a long time.

But although this battle has become my daily life because I have made it my job (I am a guide of  museum and even considered as an expert of fighting led by the Poles during the Battle of Falaise pocket), the time passing my imagination has declined. and little by little the image of these fights in my mind was becoming more and more abstract. I ended up consoling myself by telling myself that if I go to paradise there I  will can achieve this wish

i was not counting on CMBN

What a shock and even if it remains a game, my imagination work and as in my childhood events come to life in my head.

After a year of practice my enthusiasm is not blunted my dream is somehow realized.

So for that:

thanks for this formidable game

thanks to the moder who improves even more are aspect,

thank you to  persons who animates this forum

thanks to the battle designers (for the anecdote I live on a map of the game !)

I'm begining to smoke again and  to say some nastiness on my neighbors, paradise has lost its appeal !!!

Very nice post, Falaise.

There have been many times where a historical battle came to life for me while playing Combat Mission.  I would be starting out a battle and suddenly realize that I'd read about that very encounter in a book.  The mapmakers really immerse you in the physical location as well.  It is, in many ways, an amazing experience more than a game. 

Heinrich505

Yeah, being born in the places where battles took place and interested in these things..., the two together amplify each other. I was born in North-Western part of Slovenia where "Isonzo battelfield" took place in the first world war. We still have an unexploded Italian granade under our doorstep for example and the area is full of trenches and metal. I even found remains of a dead Austro-Hungarian soldier in the collapsed cavern high up in the Alps as a kid. 

Happy for you that the game reignited your vanning passion.   

Bonjour

Thank you for your answers
exact Bullet point I had not seen this like this !!!
Yes Hister, when you live on the battlefield just look down to find traces
Here is besides the discovery of this week made in Chambois lost by the Poles, I made the demining man come Wednesday

P1060159.JPG

P1060161.JPG

8 hours ago, Falaise said:

yes never touch

it's the demining man on the picture !

It's probably good that he lives where there is government health insurance then.  Private health insurance costs for Explosive Ordinance Removal professionals is likely a high cost business expense!  :ph34r:

in France also there are deminer in each region which depends on the state
happily I have them come almost every year
There are several tens of tons of shells collected every year throughout France, as well as gas shells in the east on the battlefields of the First World War.
there is also a serious service of the German to the soldiers of the German soldiers, planting strawberries
I enclose a photo of a body that I made collected, it was discovered in the ditch along the road near the memorial of Montormel in 2009

squelette 004.jpg

3 hours ago, Falaise said:

in France also there are deminer in each region which depends on the state
happily I have them come almost every year
There are several tens of tons of shells collected every year throughout France, as well as gas shells in the east on the battlefields of the First World War.
There is also a permanent commission of the German war graves
charged with collecting the corpses of German soldiers
I enclose a photo of a body that I made collected, it was discovered in the ditch along the road near the memorial of Montormel in 2009

squelette 004.jpg

On 29/1/2018 at 10:49 AM, Falaise said:

there is also a serious service of the German to the soldiers of the German soldiers, planting strawberries

I'm not sure what you mean.. planting strawberries? Is that a symbolic gesture?