After the battle ends you should be able to keep going.

I've had games where I wish I could have just another 5-10 turns, where the AI surrendered when I just about had a flank shot on that King Tiger or where I had an awesome barrage 2 minutes from falling.

It's a non-solution to say you can tweak the editor, because this is not something that you want in every game, and because using the editor means you have to start the game again from the beginning.

If there were an option upon AI surrender to click a button to extend the game by 5 turns or 10 turns, I would enjoy that.

9 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Maybe two of them will do the 8 mouse clicks necessary to open a scenario in the editor, add the time, save it and then exit back to the battle screen.

Perhaps there are only 3 people on the forum who have expressed some degree of support for this simple and minor improvement, but thank God we have the snide-police, that tiny elite group who police the forum, ensuring only their ridiculous ideas (like the endless discussion over the daft idea to completely disable the game so as to turn it into a completely command-level game; or CM Pacific, or CM Fulda Gap) can be discussed.

I mean, God forbid there should be random discussions and polite suggestions on a discussion site.

Have you guys really never used Civ's "Just... one... more... turn" button?  I mean, I obviously could go back and change the victory conditions and play through the whole game again... but am I really going to get to that point where I'm defending my capital from Montezuma and just built a nuclear bomb when Washington wins the game with a culture victory and... the game prevents me from continuing?

I mean, I'm not saying to drop everything and do this right now but I agree that it would be a handy feature should the opportunity present itself.

I don't open the editor before I enter a battle. I -could- do that, I suppose. I'd hate to see something that removes the FoW. I just never know which battle will have a last-turn cliffhanger which I want to see resolved. So, I'd have to open the editor EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to play. Not gonna happen.

It would be nice to have a "extend battle" option. Let the player continue and see if the endgame conditions change significantly. (Obviously, any score would be bogus.) But, like some of the examples show, it would be nice to see how that Tiger ambush played out, or whether that RPG frozen in midflight at game end would hit my AAV filled with Marines. Or, whatever.

I guess, not being a programmer and all, it would be added to the endgame AAR screen. "C3k Total Victory (with horrendous casualties, of course)", and there, at the bottom, "Continue to destroy your broken and fleeing enemy?" If you click "DESTROY THEM ALL" you go right back in with a time added. How long? Selectable by the player or a preset (and repeatable) time? So, say it's 15 minutes. After an extra 15 minutes you get the endgame screen again, you can reselect the extension?

Shrug. That's getting down in the weeds.

I'd still vote "yes" for the ability to extend, regardless of the implementation.

3 hours ago, c3k said:

I don't open the editor before I enter a battle. I -could- do that, I suppose. I'd hate to see something that removes the FoW. I just never know which battle will have a last-turn cliffhanger which I want to see resolved. So, I'd have to open the editor EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to play. Not gonna happen.  

<Snip>

I'd still vote "yes" for the ability to extend, regardless of the implementation.  

I am also okay with having the ability to extend time if BFC wants to do that.  I sometimes extend the time on scenarios now and it can be easily done without removing the fog of war.  When a mission is opened in the editor you click on DATA and increase the time limit.  Under DATA all you can see is the time, date, electronic warfare strength, intel strength and weather conditions.  Most of those things are usually covered in the briefing anyways.  To be able to see the OpFor TOE and AI plans you would need to intentionally click on and enter the UNITS and the AI part of the editor.  

I will also sometimes open the editor and click on MAP (and do not click on setup zones). I then turn on elevations and print the map so I have something resembling a 1:50,000 map with contour lines.  Going into MAP or DATA does not in anyway reveal OpFor dispositions, TOE or AI plans.  The only way to reveal fog of war is to intentionally go into UNITS or AI. 

But like I said, I'm okay if BFC wants to give us a button to extend the game.  However for now I just extend it on my own and often print a contour line map while I'm at it. :) 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

3 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I am also okay with having the ability to extend time if BFC wants to do that.  I sometimes extend the time on scenarios now and it can be easily done without removing the fog of war.  When a mission is opened in the editor you click on DATA and increase the time limit.  Under DATA all you can see is the time, date, electronic warfare strength, intel strength and weather conditions.  Most of those things are usually covered in the briefing anyways.  To be able to see the OpFor TOE and AI plans you would need to intentionally click on and enter the UNITS and the AI part of the editor.  

I will also sometimes open the editor and click on MAP (and do not click on setup zones). I then turn on elevations and print the map so I have something resembling a 1:50,000 map with contour lines.  Going into MAP or DATA does not in anyway reveal OpFor dispositions, TOE or AI plans.  The only way to reveal fog of war is to intentionally go into UNITS or AI. 

But like I said, I'm okay if BFC wants to give us a button to extend the game.  However for now I just extend it on my own and often print a contour line map while I'm at it. :) 

Yeah? Well, I print out a contour map THEN I feed it into a scanner/translator demogrifier device and take the output and hand-carry it, on a velvet combat pillow, to a 3D printer where I then create a scale diorama of the battlefield! So there. Thbbbt ;) 

5 minutes ago, c3k said:

Yeah? Well, I print out a contour map THEN I feed it into a scanner/translator demogrifier device and take the output and hand-carry it, on a velvet combat pillow, to a 3D printer where I then create a scale diorama of the battlefield! So there. Thbbbt ;) 

:D :lol:  Well ............... that's a little more effort than I'm willing to put into battle preparation ;)

Velvet combat pillow ........................ I'm just going to leave that here with no further remarks :lol:

5 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I am also okay with having the ability to extend time if BFC wants to do that.  I sometimes extend the time on scenarios now and it can be easily done without removing the fog of war.

Adding extra time...yes that can be done easily without risking removing the fog of war.

But adding extra time is not enough to prevent the AI from - SURRENDERING - i belive. It is the state of their forces and perhaps the level of victory Points that they controll that determins if- and when the AI surrenders. If the game-clock shows 5 or 25 minutes left is less important.

To prevent the AI from surrendering you might have to add additional reinforcements to the scenario as described previously in this thread. Reinforcements that arrive after the scenario timelimit.

Adding these reinforcements might be a bit more difficult and risk revealing some of the FOG atleast and also screw with the determination of the victory level at the end screen.

If the scenario have some victory Points allocated to friendly and enemy casualties and ammo expendiature then addiding extra reinforcements that will not take part in the battle and therefore take no casualties and expend no ammunition might mess with these calculations if you don't balance the tweaking right.

The briefing usually only gives a hint, or best estimates, of the enemy (AI) forces. To get a clear picture of what the AI force actually look like you will need to have a look at the unit list in the editor...lowering the FOW..

Most of the time i think that you can pretty accuratelly guess the actual strenth of the AI forces without peaking into the unit-list using the briefing and best guesses and tweak the reinforcements and the force-based victory conditions accordingly.

But if you get these tweakings wrong because of missjudgement of the AI force strenth...It might end up giving you the wrong victory level at the end of the game. A game that should have resulted in a minor victory if you had not added the reinforcements might end up in a draw...No victory :angry: becaused your tweaks did not re-ballance the victory conditions correctly with regards to AI force strenth left (including refinforcements) at the end of the game...

I agree...the risk of this happening might be very small...but it could happen i guess ;)

Just adding an additional Company or something as a reinforcement to every scenario you play might not be a perfect solution...It may need to be a bit more precise to not mess with the scoring...risking lowering the FOW..

Not a major problem perhaps...but still B)

Edited by RepsolCBR

10 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

To prevent the AI from surrendering you might have to add additional reinforcements to the scenario as described previously in this thread. Reinforcements that arrive after the scenario time limit.

Adding these reinforcements might be a bit more difficult and risk revealing some of the FOG at least and also screw with the determination of the victory level at the end screen.  

Yes, this is true.  Good point.  Increasing the time will not prevent an early surrender. 

Also the latest any reinforcement can be "exactly" scheduled to arrive is three hours into the fight. I wish there was a way to schedule reinforcements to arrive 3 hours and 55 minutes into the fight.  Or even a choice to "exactly" schedule them for five hours.  As it stands now if the scenario designer wants to use the reinforcement workaround to get rid of unwanted HQ units or prevent an early surrender the longest a mission can be is three hours.  Although, admittedly, three hours is long for most missions.