Balcony?

I don't think so.

But you can try the face command, if they are commanded to face towards the opposite side of the building than the balcony they might not go out on it.

But if the balcony is the direction the enemy is, what would be the point of that.

I personally avoid balconies levels for my troops unless the enemy is at extreme ranges. They just do not give as much protection as being inside the building.

The only other time I send them to those levels is if I have fire power controlling that location. then the risk is low and their view is improved.

Yeah, don't go on a floor that has one.  :mellow:

Goddam things are a nightmare, if you think they're bad in WWII try CM:SF!  :o

Having said that, IIRC @MOS:96B2P has figured out a fix (Man's a genius!  ;) ), but I don't recall where it's posted (it's definitely in the CM:SF section though)

PS - Blimey multi-ninja'd!  :ph34r:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Thanks @Sgt.Squarehead.  Don't edit your above post.  I have to show it to the wife and get it in my signature line first :D :) :lol:...............

Below is my SOP for rooms with balconies. 

1. Give team a circular Target Arc about the size of the building.

2. Slow team into the building & then to the desired floor.

3. Give desired floor waypoint a Target Arc out the reverse wall.1

4. 2nd turn give the team a permanent Pause3 order.

5. Give team a 32m 360oTarget Arc2 and consider Hide.

Notes: 1)The team will have LOS out the forward wall of the building from the reverse wall.  This will also keep team from entering a balcony on forward wall.  2)A 360oTarget Arc is used to prevent the OpFor from approaching outside a wedge arc & does not affect observation. 3)Pause keeps team from moving to forward wall & entering balconies.     

Dude credit where credit's due.....I've learned more about the minutia of playing CM from your threads than anywhere else I can think of.  B)

A lot of your techniques have become SOP for me in CM:SF & CM:A, they make these old-timers almost as playable as the newer titles.

12 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Of course, there is only one balcony I ever liked,  it was the temporary one that we built at Whitehall Palace where we chopped Charles Stewart's head off.

Outside 'The Old Banqueting House'.....Thank god your lot didn't get at the ceiling in there!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

14 hours ago, sburke said:
15 hours ago, c3k said:

I blow up the buildings that have balconies. That way it keeps my men from using them and it kills the enemy who may have been in there.

Romeo, oh Romeo, wherefore art....  BAM!

LOL - thanks for that laugh this morning guys. No doubt I'll be thinking about that every time I see my guys on a balcony in game from now on...

Edited by IanL

• 4 weeks later...

At this point balconies are put onto buildings by map designers to f... I mean to mess with the player. ;) The pitfalls of balconies have been known for a dozen years now, some titles like CMRT and CMBS barely use them at all. If a balcony's on a relatively recent map someone must've wanted to make using that particular building an extra challenge. Like adding mud marsh terrain tiles on maps

Can't speak for anyone else, but I go for looks first, otherwise it's all too easy to wind up with all the AI's defensive buildings like mini-fortresses and the ones in the player's hands festooned with balconies and windows pointing the wrong way.....Put simply, the AI's a moron and it's very easy to overcompensate.  ;)

On 2018-02-09 at 2:53 PM, Kuderian said:

Balconies have excellent fields of fire. Ambush for thirty seconds then set a crawl and target arc opposite. Return fire is usually absorbed by the balcony and facing external wall while your troops hug the opposite wall. Then sneak back and repeat...

^^^ There is a brave commander :)

Seems like a tactic worth trying though - off to find some balconies.

5 hours ago, IanL said:

Balconies have excellent fields of fire. Ambush for thirty seconds then set a crawl and target arc opposite. Return fire is usually absorbed by the balcony and facing external wall while your troops hug the opposite wall. Then sneak back and repeat...

Was playing a scenario with Elite sniper and this tactic worked great.  Only needed to give the sniper 10 second pause b4 having him SLOW MOVE away to another firing location, (or back again for a 2nd shot).  Invariably would get a kill each 10 sec pause.  Maybe need longer pause for less skilled sniper.

Edited by Erwin

IIRC yes.  That was what interested me re the "12 Strong" movie.  While the movie depicted them as crazy guys riding into battle on horses, it seemed apparent that they were well equipped as snipers and air support FO's. And that seemed like it could be a basis for what you are suggesting.  The only addition re the movie concept is a small army of Afghan uncons who did the actual close range fighting vs the Taliban uncons while the US Elites sniped and brought in air support.

I'm guessing they were a SOF team of some kind?  My recent research indicates these are typically twelve strong.....I've got several CM:SF scenarios featuring them, but mostly at a very experimental phase, if you want to look at a Core Unit file containing such a unit send me a PM.

In game Elite twelve man units are just great until they run into a landmine or an IED (or even a well hidden infantry squad), unfortunately CM isn't at all forgiving on that front and their Eliteness counts for SFA once the explosions start.....That's fairly realistic TBH, but it is also rather difficult to work around for scenario design purposes as you have to keep potential player casualties in mind while still creating a genuine challenge.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead